Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Deer And Doe Melilot Shirt

As mentioned in this post, this is my first version of the Deer and Doe Melilot Shirt I really love the shape of this shirt, it's not fitted, but not too baggy either.  Shirt nirvana!
 
 

I made View B with the collar from View A.  I had a bit of trouble with the instructions for the button placket, but then I realised that I had cut it with the extra bit for the concealed placket on View A.  Once I'd trimmed that off, it was plain sailing.  That said, I made a toile, including one long sleeve, and the instructions for the single piece placket on the long sleeves were perfect. 


My fabric is some chiffon from local sewing chum Evelyn (thank you Evelyn!).  She got it on holiday last year, and said when she saw the 70s print, she thought of me.  There was exactly the right width and length for the short sleeves version, so it was clearly meant to be.


I used French Seams throughout, and attached the collar using this method.  I interfaced both sides of the collar and stand as the fabric is thin, and the print was showing through.

My good friend spray starch came to the rescue for stablising the fabric.  It definately helped with cutting out, although I think I would have been better off using my rotary cutter; and the starch also helped with stopping the fabric fraying so much.

 

There were a few mods - I moved the bust dart up by 1/2", and have shortened the long sleeve pattern piece by 1.5".  I didn't love the long shirt tail, and also it was just too long on me, so I shortened the back by 4" and the front by 3".

Melilot number two is nearly done, I just need to finish the cuffs and do the buttonholesThe fabric is some white peachskin that was going to be another version of my self-drafted shirt.  And I'm also planning to make a Fumeterre Skirt to go with it after finding some medium weight green cotton that I forgot I had!

 

In other news - I got my hair cut.  It wasn't supposed to be this short, but apparently this is what passes for "cut two inches off please" these days...  I don't hate it, and am getting used to it now, and also it looks much better in these photos that it does in my headAlso, if you follow me on Instagram you will know that my Starlet Suit Jacket is finished.  I need to take some photos of it, and write a post because I've plenty to say about it - all of it's good though!

Lynne

32 comments:

  1. That's a great blouse! Love your haircut BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hair 😀. Blouse is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blouse. Wish they came in slightly larger sizes. I am way too lazy to grade up. Also LOVE your hair. Is it hard to style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have rubbishly fine Irish hair, so always backcomb the bejimminies out of it to get some volume into it. This morning I flicked the ends out with the straightners, and then put loads of hair spray on it. I am getting used to it, but definately won't be keeping it this short!

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely, what a great fabric. Love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't the fabric brilliant?! Right up my street.

      Delete
  5. Love the blouse and the hair 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blouse, looks gorgeous, great shape and love the fabric. Really looking forward to your jacket post, I've been looking out for it, and also really like your hair. Mine is very fine too and I find its easy to get better body when it's shorter, although I only just cut mine too and it takes some getting used too. Maybe an inch or so longer and you'll get hair length nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've written the jacket post but I need to take some photos. I'm getting the hang of this hair do now, but definately prefer it a bit longer.

      Delete
  7. Love the blouse, looks gorgeous, great shape and love the fabric. Really looking forward to your jacket post, I've been looking out for it, and also really like your hair. Mine is very fine too and I find its easy to get better body when it's shorter, although I only just cut mine too and it takes some getting used too. Maybe an inch or so longer and you'll get hair length nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh love the new hairdo!! And, of course another great sew too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowwww dream shirt!! :) I'm not surprised you're onto a second already. Lovely fabric choice too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Theh second one was finished on Friday.

      Delete
  10. Great blouse - LOVE your new hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this shirt and the fabric is great. I think your new hair cut looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hair is great and really suits you. Another impeccable fitting shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're being so productive with all your shirts/blouses recently! This is another lovely one. Your hair looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wanna make this! It's such a cool pattern! The fit is perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this - Melilot is possibly my new most favourite pattern - I already cut out number two - I just need to get some pictures of number one. The 70s chiffon is amazing!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it a great pattern?! I've already finished number two, and can see me making more.

      Delete
  16. I love how happy this shirt looks! Also, nice haircut, even if you haven't got used to it yet. It suits you well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.