This is some of the fabric that I bought while visiting my friend in England, and I had planned to make another Simplicity 2444. I was inspired by Lara's gorgeous button-back version, and had even bought buttons to match; but after the success of drafting my own collars, the plans got changed, and I made the Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress.
I drafted the bodice from my block (and am still quite staggered that it worked!), and the skirt is from the pattern. The instructions were really easy to follow, especially on the collar, as I hadn't sewn one like this before.
I mentioned in my last post about my problem with the gaping placket - I added a buttonhole as suggested by Knitlass (thank you!) using Handmade Jane's tip, which was inspired by Emmie's tip - and it made a big difference. So I thought I'd try horizontal buttonholes, just to see how they turned out; I'd spotted them on Clarinda Kaleidoscope's version, and liked the look of them. And the interesting thing is that they didn't gape as much as on the chambray Hawthorn dress. I mentioned this to Andrew (who is not a sewing expert), and he said, "maybe it's the fabric". Now, this was said just to agree with me in my general sewing ramblings, but I think he was onto something! This fabric is a woven cotton, and the chambray is definately a slightly looser weave.
I cut this out before the Hawthorn dress was finished, due to running out of thread, so obviously hadn't got to wear the Hawthorn yet. And something that I've noticed is that the waist is a bit high. In the photo below my hand is at my waist, which is about level with the fourth button down (I missed the fifth buttonhole when I was buttoning it up!). The waist seam is about 1 inch above the fourth button. I can live with it on this dress though, and will add a bit of length to my bodice block. I'm hoping this will resolve my problems with buttonhole placement, and I will be able to make room for that elusive fourth buttonhole.
|I didn't realise the collar was caught up until I looked at my photos!|
I love this dress! The fit is brilliant, and I'm delighted with my print matching. I had 2.5 metres of fabric, which was 45 inches wide, and just managed to squeeze my dress out of it with only scraps to spare. The fabric is Amy Butler, the pattern is called Angelica, and I got it for £6 per metre.
My favourite bit is the collar. I'm am over the moon at having finally made something other than a flat collar, and my next dress will have a shirt collar. It will be made with the last of my fabric that I bought in England, and I originally had different plans for it too. I'm spotting a theme...