Saturday, 11 November 2017

Deer And Doe Bleuet Dress

I bought this pattern when it first came out a few years' ago now, but even though I planned to, I never got around to making it.

 

Fast forward to the pattern being re-jigged and re-released a few months ago.  There were some new versions on the Deer and Doe blog, and the second photo down really caught my eye.  I loved the tartan with the white collar, and we all know that in my world tartan is a neutral!    

The PDF pattern was on offer for 3 Euros to anybody who had bought the original pattern, so I bought it.  My fabric is some Mini Royal Stewart tartan from ebay that I bought to make a replacement for this dress which is my favourite, but has most definitely seen better days. 

 

I preferred the idea of a black collar, so used some wool/rayon mix fabric left over from this dress, and made View B but without the bow at the back.  Also, I didn't bother with the hem facing, and just turned the hem under and stitched.  Cutting out was pretty time-consuming because I cut it all out on a single layer, but that's the joys and delights of matching the print on tartan.




The dress came together pretty quickly, and the pattern is beautifully drafted, the collar went together perfectly.  As with the other Deer and Doe patterns I've used, the instructions are a bit sparse, and I'm not sure if I used the correct seam allowance for the capped sleeves.

I love how my dress turned out, but ultimately it is a little bit big, which is entirely my fault - should have gone down a size!  But having worn it twice now, I think I'll fiddle about with the princess seams, and see if I can bring it in a bit.  



 


There is also a tutorial on the Deer and Doe blog on how to make it into a shirt, which I'm very taken with, so might give that a try.


Have a great weekend,

Lynne

10 comments:

  1. This looks fab. Amazing plaid-matching skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! It did take ages lining the fabric up to cut it.

      Delete
  2. I love the tartan - your pattern matching is perfect. I'm a huge fan of Deer and Doe patterns and loved the original Bleuet - without the puffy sleeves and bow on the back it is a really lovely shirtdress.

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I absolutely love the Belladone dress, and have made a few. I also loved the Pavot coat, and am planning a second one. It's a shame that pattern has been discontinued.

      Delete
  3. I love it! The seam lines look good in the plaid. You weren't tempted to do the bow in back? In black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colette! Ooo, the bow would look great in black, but I just wasn't feeling the love for that bow.

      Delete
  4. Great pattern matching! The whole dress looks lovely - hope you manage t tweak the fit so you're happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I tweaked the side seams and front princess seams at the weekend, and it's fitting better now.

      Delete
  5. Love love love this, I think of tartan as a neutral too, it goes with just about everything after all! Your pattern matching is A MAZE ING I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about tartan?! I'm delighted with the pattern matching, even if it took a lot of crawling around the floor.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.