Friday, 17 March 2017

Green Christian Dior inspired dress

Happy Paddy's Day everybody!  Hope you've had a great day, I've certainly enjoyed my free day off work courtesy of St P, and have been doing a bit of sewing.  But more of that later, as I thought today would be a good day to show you my new green dress.


I mentioned this before in this post, and here is the inspiration photo.  I found this on Pinterest and the description said it's a Christian Dior dress from 1947-48.

 
Source

What really caught my eye was the princess seams, and the neckline.  The princess seams come down from the shoulder instead of the armhole, and it looks like the neckline curves out in a slight V, instead of meeting at the middle of the front neck.  The princess seams were easy to draft from my block, and I made the same princess seams on the back so they match up at the shoulder seam.

 

The neckline was a bit more tricky, as it was difficult to know just how much to take off the front neckline.  Three toiles later (!!) I was finally happy with it.  If you feel like trying this yourself, I shorted the neckline by 1 cm at the centre front (so that's 2 cms overall).  Then I marked where I wanted the top button on the centre front, and drew a diagonal line between the two points.  The collar was drafted using the partial roll collar from the Craftsy class "Pattern Making Design: Collars and Closures".



The skirt is from good old Simplicity 2444, and I put a zip and pockets in the side seam using my own tutorial here.  

 

The sleeves are just short sleeves with a cuff, and I added a safari tab too.  Turning the safari tab out the right way turned out to be tricky!  But my metal seem gauge came to the rescue, as I was able to use it to push the seem out as I pressed it.

 

 

My fabric and buttons are from Sew N Sew in Belfast.  I was in the shop one day last June, and spotted a pile of bolts of fabric on the floor.  There was a cardboard sign on the top saying it was £3.50 per metre.  I eyeballed this green, and also a lovely rich deep purple.  I can't remember exactly what the fabric is, the sign said a poly-something but I've forgotten -  I was too excited at the loveliness and the price.  In fact, I actually asked if it really was only £3.50 a metre, and asked for two metres of each before anybody could change their minds!

 

The buttons are also from Sew N Sew, and I can't remember how much they were, but maybe about 25p each. 

 

I love how this dress turned out, but my favourite thing is the colour.  I think I need more green dresses in my life, and therefore more green fabric...

 

If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I'm currently working on a jacket.  It's Butterick 4610, and I mentioned it in this post.  But I have plenty to say about it, so it can wait till next time.

Have a great weekend,

Lynne

20 comments:

  1. Lovely dress!! Happy St Patrick's day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fabulous, I love that colour and you absolutely nailed knocking off that dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the colour, and am delighted with how it turned out!

      Delete
  3. Oh Lynne, I always look forward to seeing what you have made. I was waiting to see this dress after you posted you were going to try and recreate it. You have done an amazing job and I love it! The colour is gorgeous and looks lovely on you. I have also decided I need more green in my life after whipping up an emerald green plaid shirt for St Paddy's Day yesterday. Can't wait to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I do love how it turned out, and the three toiles were worth the time. I'm a bit like a dog with a bone when I get an idea like this! I'm still working on my jacket, then I think I'll make something easy like a shirt dress. One that I can just cut out with no fitting or drafting!!

      Delete
  4. This dress is stunning, I love that neckline/collar, you've done such a fab job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased with the neckline and collar, they were worth the time and effort!

      Delete
  5. Love your dress. Beautiful shape and fit, and it looks such a versatile dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I think this bodice would work well without sleeves and with a gathered skirt for a cotton summer dress. And now that's giving me ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is gorgeous, Lynne!! Looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect dress for St Patrick's Day! Hope you had a great day! No work, so that's a winner to start with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I do look forward to St Patrick's Day for no other reason than the public holiday off work. Good old St P!!

      Delete
  9. Well done, it looks like lovely fabric and came out gorgeous. Last week I ordered Burdastyle 6520 which is also a pleated skirt, but a notched collar ( Hurry postie!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm wishing my postie would hurry up too because I ordered some Liberty silk yesterday. It was half price, so I feel that it would have been rude not to!!

      Delete
  10. The green looks lovely on you (as does the whole dress of course), it definitely sounds like you should go green fabric shopping - and hopefully you'll find a bargain as good as this fabric was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I'm trying not to buy dress fabric at the minute as I have so much already! But I might make an exception if I spot some green.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.