Sunday, 23 October 2016

Pinafore Dress and Agnes Tops

We've been very lucky to have some mild weather in Northern Ireland for the last month or so; but it is now, most decidedly, autumn.  So, the summer fabrics have been put away, and autumn and winter sewing plans are being made.  I thought I'd start off easy with a pinafore dress that I have made before.  It is the same as this dress which, coincidentally, was blogged a year ago.


The fabric is the leftovers from my first Deer and Doe Fumeterre skirt (also made a year ago), which is some suiting fabric from My Fabrics.  The only change to the first version is to the collar.  For no apparent reason I decided to make a pointed, instead of a rounded, collar; so that's what I did.


 

The pattern is a self-drafted bodice and collar, and the skirt is a hack of the Tilly And The Buttons Megan dress.  Everything ended up being cut on a single layer so the stripes could be matched, and also to save fabric for the collar.

Each side of the collar is cut in one piece, so the stripes don't match at the back, but I won't see that when I'm wearing it!


I also made a new Tilly And The Buttons Agnes Top to go with this.  It's some black viscose jersey, also from My Fabrics, and whilst I've made a few black versions, this is the first with the brilliant puffy sleeves - I forgot to take a photo of it on the dress form though.

 

Then, as I was on a roll, I made two more Agnes' in brown and green to go with the first pinafore; and surprised myself with some actual forward planning!


These two fabrics are also Jersey Viscose from My Fabrics.  The brown is called Light Brown, and the green is called Sage.
Have a great week,
 
Lynne

13 comments:

  1. Such a cute dress! I can also see it looking great with white shirtsleeves and big cuffs! That's a great Megan hack, I really love the style of the dress. Sadly I haven't so far made it work very well for my shape, both my versions emphasise my stomach :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooo, I hadn't thought of it with a white shirt, thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  2. So pretty! The dress is amazing and I'm also a big Agnes fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about Agnes? I think it's my most used pattern.

      Delete
  3. Great pairing of great patterns! I do love this dress bodice of yours, it is a total winner :) We had a spectacular autumn here in southern Norway, but now the downpours are upon us and I have lost all drive to do anything. It is good weather for knitting, though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We've had a gorgeous autumn too here in Northern Ireland. It's been quite dry, so the leaves have stayed on the trees and the colours are beautiful. It's started to get a bit colder this week though.

      Delete
  4. Super dress, I love the style off it and it looks great on. Agnes looks a great pattern, I am about to make some long sleeve top to try and wear my dresses longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A long sleeve top is always a good way to extend a dress's wear. Good luck with your top!

      Delete
  5. Lynne, really great tops and good colours too. I love the autumn - time to bring out the boots and wear more skirts/dresses. If I had legs like yours I'd wear courts more often.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm fond of autumn too, but wish I had boots to wear! It's hard enough to get shoes for my little feet, boots are even harder to find!

      Delete
  6. I love the pinafore - and great forward planning to make all the tops to go with them! A pinafore is definitely on my sewing list this autumn/winter, but I can't decide on a pattern at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still quite pleased with myself with the planning! Good luck with finding a pattern.

      Delete
  7. I love your pinafore, just right for my favourite time of year :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.