Saturday, 8 October 2016

Liberty Carline Lawn Shirtdress

This is, without doubt, the most expensive fabric that I've ever bought.  It's Liberty Carline lawn, and cost £22 per metre.  You may recall that I recently made a shirtdress using the same print in pink poplin, but said that I really wanted it in red.  Well, local sewing pal/enabler Suzie came up trumps with a link to this website.  I hit buy on 2 metres before I give myself too much time to think about it!

 

 

 

As this fabric is a lawn it is more lightweight than the poplin, I underlined it with some white cotton lawn - which, at £6.99 per metre added to the expense!  The bodice is self-drafted with princess seams at the front and darts at the back, and the skirt is from Tilly And The Buttons Lilou dress.  Tacking the underlining took ages, but was really worth it.




The only drama was when I trimmed and clipped the collar seam allowances before turning it right side out to make sure the collar lined up with the lapel.  Turned out it didn't, and I had to do some careful unpicking.  It worked out ok in the end, and the lesson was learnt!

 

The buttons came from my button box, (I think this is only the second time that this I have found the perfect buttons in the box, and not had to go and buy some), and I added pockets and a side zip using my how-to.  The sleeves are full capped sleeves with elastic to gather the hem slightly.  I spotted these sleeves on a dress that a lady I work with was wearing!


 

I love this dress, it did turn into a bit of an epic make, but it's lovely!  Also, I got my hair cut again.  It appears that I actually like this shorter hair business.  No one is more surprised that me...   


Have a great week,

Lynne

30 comments:

  1. Carline is such a gorgeous print - definitely worth splashing out and your dress is lovely! I like your shorter hair too - I always leave mine to grow too long and only remember how much I prefer it short when I get round to cutting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Short hair really is the business, and I never thought I'd say that!!

      Delete
  2. That is one seriously beautiful dress. Well worth the money I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how it turned out.

      Delete
  3. this is beautiful! your shirtdresses have definitely got me on board with liberty!

    Frankie

    http://knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm all for the Liberty!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous well worth the expense and time taken

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is GORGEOUS. Beautiful drafting and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dress, and beautiful in this fabric. I've been following all your sewing for sometime and rarely comment I'm sorry but it's been lovely seeing the progression of your skill in both sewing and drafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  7. Lynne, it's beautiful. A very special dress.
    While you're in Liberty mood take a look here https://www.shaukat.co.uk/category/all-liberty-fabrics/classic-tana-lawn-100-percent-cotton. I often lurk but have never bought yet but at £15 p/m it's considerably cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I ordered from that website once before, ages ago. If I remember, the postage was quite pricey, but I must look at it again.

      Delete
  8. This dress fits you beautifully and it looks perfect on you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfection! Love love love it. I love this print and have almost bought it a few times but I'm a bit hesitant because of the white background. It looks perfect as a shirtdress though and those sleeves are a wonderfull touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The background is more cream that white. I used cream thread, because white just looked wrong. The pink poplin version that I made was the same.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely beautiful! Well worth the expense and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous Lynne, looks perfect on you. I've always wanted to buy some Liberty fabric after purchasing some quilting squares on Etsy (fabric feels exquisite) but too scared I might muck up an expensive piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I say just buy it!! What's the worst that can happen? I'm such an enabler!...

      Delete
  12. This is everything a shirtdress should be! Beautiful, amazing drafting, and a great use of the lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a stunner. I love the pattern of the fabric, plus the style of the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though the fabric was expensive, you wouldn't be able to buy a dress like that for a lot of money. beautiful and great sleeves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's exactly what my mum in law said!!

      Delete
  15. So pretty, love what you put together. I haven't tried this style of shirt dress yet (buttons to the waist only), but I have fabric earmarked for it and need to work out modifications to a simplicity pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like a dress that just buttons to the waist, but the side zip and pocket are a bit of a faff. Good luck with your dress.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.