Sunday, 21 August 2016

Faux placket chambray dress

This lilac chambray fabric has been in my stash for I think three years.  I bought it at the same time as some green chambray that became this Hawthorn dress, but I couldn't decide what to make with it.


A few months ago (maybe near the start of the year), I was in Sew N Sew in Belfast, and spotted these lovely buttons.  They were so nice that I couldn't leave them, so bought some without any plan for them.  Everything in that shop is a cheap as chips, but I do recall the nice lady who owes the shop saying "aren't they expensive?" and I was busy thinking "um, no!"  I can't remember exactly how much they were, but I think it was about 20p each.*

 
Anyway, I finally realised that they went well with the chambray, and then had quite a job deciding what to do with them both.  I had originally thought of a shirtdress with a separate placket, but as the buttons are 3/4" (2 cm) wide, the placket would have been too wide to accomodate buttons and horizontal buttonholes.  Vertical buttonholes wouldn't have worked because there wouldn't be enough length in the bodice to have four buttons.

 

I still couldn't get the idea of a separate placket out of my head, and whilst idly browsing 1970s patterns on the internet, I came across some beauties with plackets to the waist.





Let's take a moment to appreciate the patterned dress with the long sleeves on the right on the Butterick pattern, and also the green dress in the middle of the Simplicity pattern (the printed dress on the left is nice too).  I would wear both of these, but would lower the waist on Butterick, and shorten the collar on Simplicity.  Also, I've been working on a gingham dress, and have just noticed the one on the right of the Simplicity pattern.

Ok, maybe it's just me who appreciates them!  Anyway, I digress.  This got me thinking that a faux placket would work as there wouldn't be any buttonholes to worry about.

I was originally going to go with the more A-line skirt from my black and red dresses, as I felt it was more 70s, but ended up using my half circle skirt because that's what's on the green chambray dress, and I always like the way that it sits.


From my block I drafted a bodice with bust and waist darts, a round neck and centre back zip.  The placket is 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) wide, plus 1/4 inch (6 mm) seam allowance on both sides.  I marked 3/4" in from the centre front on the bodice and skirt, then pressed the 1/4" seam allowance down on the wrong side of both edges of the placket.  Then I lined the edge of the placket up with the marks and topstitched at 1/8" on each side.  


I didn't interface the placket because I didn't think it was necessary as it is just for show.  It was tricky to know whether to make one long placket, or two separate plackets for the bodice and skirt.  In the end I went with two separates, as I thought with the curve of the waist on the half circle skirt, it might cause a problem with the placket shape there.

There isn't a facing on the inside because I thought it might be a bit too bulky at the centre front, so I finished it with some bias tape, then added some capped sleeves because, why not.

 

I love how this dress turned out, and the fabric is gorgeous.  I'm going to see if I can get something similar to make a maxi sleeveless shirt dress for next summer.


Have a great week,

Lynne

*  I had a few buttons left over and now I can't find them, which is very frustrating and very unlike me!  They were on my work table, and I fear I may have thrown them out when I was tidying up.  I'm hoping they've maybe fallen on the floor under the table, or I have tidied them to somewhere that I've forgotton about!

25 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric and a great match for the buttons. As always, you have done a superb job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These buttons are wonderful!!! Such a beautiful summery dress!
    Frankie
    http://knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aren't the buttons lovely!!

      Delete
  3. This is such a cute shape on you. I love the little cap sleeves and the contrasting buttons and bias binding. Such a great finish. You're also not the only one swooning over the long sleeved, floral Butterick pattern. I definitely need a dress like that in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves that Butterick dress. I have such a soft spot for those big 70s sleeves.

      Delete
  4. Excellent style for you and great colour. Interesting to hear about the buttons bent the starting point for this dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I spotted those buttons, I couldn't leave them behind!

      Delete
  5. That is so pretty and summery Lynne and I love the bias binding you used. Even though it's not seen, it is a lovely touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with the bias tape, and it was easier to sew than a facing.

      Delete
  6. Amazing dress, the colour is gorgeous and the double faux placket really works so well with those matching buttons. I need more dresses in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who doesn't need more dresses?!!

      Delete
  7. Looks like the fabric has a lovely texture, very nice combination of elements in this dress - you have been putting together some wonderful dresses lately ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabric does have a nice texture, and it has that nice two-tone, loose, chambray weave.

      Delete
  8. This dress is lovely, and your sewing is so NEAT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The placket and buttons add interest to your dress - another good idea. Lovely colour. Thanks Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the colour (can't go wrong with purple!), and the photos on the dress form are probably closest to real life.

      Delete
  10. I love the colour and the shape of the dress really suits you! It's always interesting how prices vary so much across shops - you definitely got a bargain with those buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Honestly, everything in this shop is as cheap as chips. If you find yourself in Belfast, it's worth a visit.

      Delete
  11. Wow! Love this dress! It's so flattering and the color is beautiful!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely dress Lynne! the half cirkle skirt is perfect with it (but it's my favourite skirt shape so I might be a bit biased here). Your dresses always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.