Monday, 8 August 2016

Anna with a gathered skirt

After all the makes with buttons and collars, and also the jeans (thank you for all the love!), I fancied making something that was a bit less complicated.  The good old By Hand London Anna dress came to the rescue.

 

I have made an Anna with a gathered skirt before, and that dress inspired this one.  I really loved that dress, and after several reprieves because it was looking shabby, it finally went to the recycling at the end of last summer.



The fabric is some cotton poplin from Fancy Moon, and is called "Happiness Paisley".  It says "a spark of HAPPINESS Design Pi" on the selvedge.  I got 2 metres in the January sale, and it was £6.49 per metre.


Having made several Anna's already, this was a pretty easy make.  And I am, frankly, delighted with my print matching on the centre back seam.


Andrew said that he "liked how there where two blobs on the shoulders, and a big blob on the front.  And also how the big blob matched across the back".  Well, I don't think you can say much fairer than that!


Also, a big thank you to Suzanna from Sea Salt and Stitches who found some red Liberty Carline and emailed me the link.  I've order some, and here is the linky goodness

Have a great week,

Lynne

23 comments:

  1. Definitely a happy dress (all those blobs of happiness ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Blobs for the win!!

      Delete
  2. Haha I like the two blobs on the shoulders too. Really pretty dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty dress! The pattern placement turned out perfectly. I'm about to make my first Anna (i must be the last person ever), hope it turns out this well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooo, good luck with your Anna, I shall look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  4. Your blob positioning is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always an important thing!!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous, and I totally agree about the blobs! I might have to put that fabric on my wish list, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't the fabric lovely?! I just bought it on a whim as it was in the sale.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh this dress looks amazing!!! So pretty! Great placement of the "blobs"!

    I'm just finally making my first ever Anna - pretty certain I am the very last person on earth to make an Anna actually - and I'm completely in love with the pattern. Speaking of which... I should get of the internet and finish it up! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope your Anna turned out well!

      Delete
  7. Stunning dress, the fabric is awesome, so summery and happy, perfect pattern matching on the back and the fit is spot on, utterly gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been wearing now that we've had some nice summer weather.

      Delete
  8. Pattern placement is absolutely spot on, all round! Very well done :) The dress is devine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyful dress and love the fit. I made the Anna a couple of years ago but it was too tight across the bust. Did you make any adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did a full bust adjustment on my pattern. There was tutorial on the By Hand London sewalong, but it ended up with a bust dart, which I didn't want. So I used another tutorial, I was going to add a link, but it seems to have been taken down. Basically, it was a FBA and then the dart was rotated into the two pleats.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! The Anna dress is in my things to do pile though I can't seem to find the right fabric. I love yours in the bright print. It works so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dress and fabulous pattern matching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed this while I was away. Just gorgeous, the fabric is stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.