Sunday, 10 July 2016

Liberty Carline Shirtdress

At the minute it feels like all I've been making is shirtdresses, but a look back over my posts has proved me wrong.  There have been a lot of blouses and shirts, so maybe it's just all those buttonholes.  Anyway,  this most definitely is a shirtdress, and it's a beauty, even if I say so myself!

 

This dress is all about the fabric, which is Liberty Carline.  I've seen so many gorgeous dresses made from this fabric.  I was going to link to some but there are too many, so here's a google image link which includes some of my favourites.  I have to mention these two dresses (here and here) as my two recent favourites though.

 

 

My fabric was bought on the internet last year and was sold as red, but when I got it, it was most definitely pink.  I was a bit disappointed as I'm not very fond of pink, but I absolutely love this print, and there are enough red tones and green in it to counteract the pinkness.  Also, I was a bit concerned that it might clash with my red hair, but I decided to embrace the clashing in a devil-may-care style!

 

Having drooled over the above-mentioned gorgeous makes, I knew that there was no point in using a pattern with detailed style lines, as they would get lost in the print.  So I went with my shirtdress bodice, and used the full skirt from good old McCall's 6696.  The collar and neckline is a follow on from this blouse, because I loved how it turned out.  I cut the upper collar in two pieces so I could get the small flowers on the front collar edges, but forgot that my hair won't cover that back seam just now!

 

Sewing it up went well, the only thing I stalled on was the buttons.  I had wanted buttons to match the colours in the flowers, but they turned out to be difficult to get.  The buttons I used were the only ones that I could find.  When I went to do the buttonholes, I decided that I didn't really love these buttons, and thought cream buttons would be nicer.  Cue another button hunt, but I ended up going back to the pink buttons.  They are a bit too small though, and therefore fiddly to do up.


I absolutely love this dress, and would be very happy to get my paws on some of this fabric in red.  I've also seen some dresses made up in purple, so if anybody knows where I can get it, please share.

 

Thanks!!

Lynne

30 comments:

  1. This is stunning! Such a beautiful fabric!
    Frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about the fabric?!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous such a great style for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, Lynne. It looks really lovely on you. I really like this shape of your neckline and collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how the collar and neckline turned out.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful Lynne! Carline is my favourite Liberty print and I love seeing it made into dresses, yours is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's such a shame that Liberty discontinued this print, hopefully they will bring it back again.

      Delete
  5. That dress is a stunner, and I don't think the pink crashes with your hair :) I know pink and red are not supposed to mix, but I often find that they do. I wish I had any Liberty sources to share, have you checked out Croftmill ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I told my husband about pink and red clashing, and he just looked at me like I'd gone mad!

      Delete
  6. So pretty Lynne. Hope you get to wear it lots with our current non summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will - I shall put on my sandal wedges and go to work like it's 25 degrees!

      Delete
  7. Such a fabulous dress, I've got such a soft spot for Carline. I've spotted a few rare purple ones in the wild but haven't managed to track any down. If I do I'll let you know! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would really love to get my hands on some purple. Liberty really need to bring this print back!

      Delete
  8. I was looking for this in the purple colourway too! I think the pink looks great on you. Very nice collar and neckline. I just made a shirt dress and used smaller buttons than usual and I forgot to move the buttonholes closer to the edge and the top layer is pulling away, so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The buttons are growing on me. That is annoying about your buttonholes. I have put secret buttonholes in the facing on some of my dresses, and it helps a lot with gaping. In my pattern drafting class I learnt that the button extension has to come out by the same width as the button from the centre front.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous dress, I love the neckline/collar and the fit is amazing. I made my first shirt dress and it's quite big around the middle which makes me feel frumpy. The colours are super too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This dress was a bit roomy at the underarms to waist, so I took it in by 1 cm on each side, and it was grand. Would that work on yours?

      Delete
  10. It looks fabulous; the style and the sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress! I really need to treat myself to some Carline sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Everybody needs Carline in their lives!

      Delete
  12. Perfect and now all you need is summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll just wear this and pretend it's summer!!

      Delete
  13. Snap! I've just made a carline mccalls 6696 but in purple and with sleeves. Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooo, I bet yours is gorgeous!

      Delete
  14. I have been missing from the blog world recently due to heading back to work and now being forever exhausted, but I'm trying to catch up on all my favourite blogs!
    Oh my goodness, I LOVE this dress! Seriously, it is fabulous. And I agree, Carline is such a lovely Liberty print. I don't, however, agree that the pink clashes with your red hair - I think it looks great! BUT....guess what I've found for you.....
    https://www.alicecaroline.co.uk/product/liberty-tana-lawn-fabric-carline-b/
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link!!! I may have just ordered 2 metres... Ahem.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.