Saturday, 4 June 2016

Red crepe sweetheart dress

This dress was inspired by my black crepe dress.  I flipping love that dress, and it's all down to the fabric because it's gorgeous (I used the left overs to make this blouse).  As I said in the post about it, the fabric was only available in black, so I ended up buying some lighter weight red crepe for this dress.
 

I had originally planned a bodice similar to my tartan summer dress, with either a half circle skirt or the skirt from Tilly And The Buttons Lilou dress.  That went out the window when I got the fabric in my hands, as it is lighter weight than the black crepe.  A big skirt and a gust of wind would not have been a good match!

 

After a bit of pondering, I kept coming back to two sweetheart neckline dresses that I have saved on Pinterest.  The skirt is the same as my black dress.  I think one of the reasons why I like that dress so much is the shape of the skirt, and decided to try drafting a sweetheart neckline myself.  Princess seams on the front seemed like a good idea, so that's what I went with. 
The whole dress is lined; I used the red fabric, which is from Minerva Crafts, for the bodice and sleeves, and some white peachskin for the skirt.  The peachskin was from ebay, and is very lightweight, so really only good for lining. 

 

Those blinking sleeves fought me all the way though!  In order to line them, I cut four sleeves, sewed them together along the bottom edge, and turned them out wrong sides together.  So far, so good.  The trouble began when I tried to attach them to the bodice.  Even now I can't say exactly what went wrong, but it took a few goes to set them in.


I finished the inside edge with a strip of fabric cut on the bias (as on the cap sleeves on the Sewaholic Alma blouse), and stupidly sewed one strip to the outside edge!  I got there in the end though.
 

As with my black dress, this one works with sandals for the summer, and will hopefully also work with tights and shoes for the winter.  Another win!!

Lynne

25 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! The fit is perfect and the neckline looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute!!! and great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely, the neckline really suits you. In fact the whole dress is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely, the neckline really suits you. In fact the whole dress is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll be using this neckline again.

      Delete
  5. That colour is beautiful on you! And her insides are just as pretty as her exterior. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always worth taking time on the innards!

      Delete
  6. Another lovely frock. It does surprise me how many really experienced seamstresses make funny little mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that you imply I am experienced, when I'm really the queen of winging it!! :)

      Delete
  7. A true gem of a dress - perfect colour for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful dress - the fabric has a lovely drape, I think you picked the right skirt for the bodice. I'm loving all your 40s style dresses and all your self drafting is inspiring ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of this being a 40s style, but it surely is.

      Delete
  9. This is such a perfect dress and the red really suits you!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for a dress that will work throughout the year! I love the neckline, it's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't got to wear it yet, because the weather has been quite hot recently, and two layers is a bit much.

      Delete
  11. Love this dress! The neckline is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great dress! It's a beautiful shape and the colour really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adore the colour of this dress, the cut and the wonderful fit on you. It's absolutely gorgeous, you've tempted me to get sewing with crepe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just realised that I didn't mention that I sprayed the crepe with spray starch before I cut it, and it helped considerably as the fabric is quite shifty. Then I was it out once the dress was finished.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.