Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Hemingway Fabrics Shirt Dress

This is a self-drafted dress made from Hemingway Design fabric.  This fabric range was released about two years ago, so never let it be said that I will rush into using something!  I also have another piece which is red, but can't make my mind up about exactly what to make with it.

 

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed when I got this because it looked more green on the internet, and is more blue in real live -which is probably why it took me so long to use it.  The colour is lovely, but I'm a bit pale for blue, so I decided it wouldn't be a disaster if this didn't work out.  

Also, this fabric is a bit crispy.  Once this dress was finished, I washed the red fabric and then put it in the tumble dryer, which has softened it beautifully.  I washed this dress and tumble dried it for 30 minutes, and it's softened a bit.  I might try it again to see if it helps some more.  All these photos were taken before I tumble dried it, and I think the crispness shows, especially in this photo.

 

The collar is a follow-on from this blouse, as I wanted to make a few tweaks to it.  I lowered and widen the neckline, so the curve at the front is more open.  The skirt is my old favourite half circle skirt.

 

The armholes are finished with some bias tape which I made from the same fabric.  I had done the same with the blouse mentioned above, but when I went to make the tape for this dress, I couldn't find the card that the tape maker was attached to.  You know the one that tells you what size of tape it makes?!  But then I had a brainwave.  I still had some tape left over from the blouse, so unfolded an end and measured it, so problem solved.

To stop this happening again, I made this little label on my machine.  I'm really quite pleased with this!

 

It sounds like I don't like this dress, but I really do!  I've worn it a few times, including on my birthday, but I just wouldn't say that it's one of my favourites.  Now I need to decide what to make with my red fabric.  


Predictably, it may become another shirt dress, feel free to suggest something else.

Lynne

20 comments:

  1. Such a nice dress :) I really like the neckline and collar. I am the same as you I guess, I have a hard time deciding what to do with my fabric once I have it in my stash. But a stash is good to have, suddenly you come across a pattern or an idea, and you just happen to have the perfect fabric :)
    Maybe you could make a matching set out of the red fabric? A nice pair of pleated shorts, and a sleeveless top perhaps? I'm sure you'll think of something gorgeous.

    Your binder tags are pure genious! I need to copy that idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I go two ways with fabric - I like it, but don't know what to make with it so it sits in the stash for ages; or, I know exactly what it's going to be straight away. The second happened a few weeks ago when I was buying fabric in a local shop, I knew exactly what it going to be before it cut off the role. Predictably, it's another shirt dress!!

      Copy away at the bider tag!

      Delete
  2. I like those buttons you picked. I'm half way through making a new look vintage style shirt with a shawl collar, can't wait to get it finished. Your self drafting and mods continue to be an inspiration ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I forgot to mention the buttons, they were my second choice because I couldn't get enough of my first choice. They're lovely, but very small, and therefore very fiddly to button up.

      Delete
  3. Ooh it looks lovely. The fit is great. You are doing so well with your pattern cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely make; it looks really good on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your clever labels, what a good idea. I think the colour looks very pretty on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The label really was a stroke of genius. I surprised myself!

      Delete
  6. This dress is lovely, the neckline is very flattering I'm always a half circle skirt fan. Love dresses but don't wear nearly enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've very pleased with how the neckline turned out, and who doesn't love a half circle skirt?!

      Delete
  7. The labels for your bias tape makers is just sooooooo clever, I will be robbing that idea - hats off to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely dress Lynne. The neckline is really pretty and your labels are a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the neckline because it turned out exactly the way it was in my head - which is always pleasing.

      Delete
  9. Love the collar on this dress. You are officially the QUEEN of shirt dresses!!! Also, love your solution to labelling your bias tape maker. You must have a very fancy machine, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I have two more summer shirtdresses planned; well, one will only button to the waist - does that count?! I also have two winter shirtdresses planned too. I'm so pleased with the label, I got a new machine earlier this year, and it has what seems like about a million different stitches.

      Delete
  10. Another lovely shirtdress - you're building up quite a collection! I love the label for you bias tape maker too, it's pretty and practical. As for the red fabric, shirtdresses suit you, so why not make another?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really was seeing the red fabric as another shirtdress, but now it's saying Anna bodice and gathered skirt to me. I made that combo a couple of summers ago, and loved that dress.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.