Sunday, 22 May 2016

The "Tartan isn't just for winter" summer dress

The inspiration for this dress came when I eyeballed the fabric on Dress Fabrics.  Maeve has some gorgeous fabrics, her customer service is tip top, and I may have already bought some denim from her to make jeans.  (I bought my fabric with my own hard-earned beans, and just think this is a great shop, and also I like to support local businesses.)

 

Anyway, back to the dress.  As soon as I laid eyes on the fabric this dress jumped, fully formed, into my head - I love it when that happens!  The tartan shouted pleated skirt, and I liked the idea of a By Hand London Anna bodice with it.

 

I didn't make the Anna bodice, but instead drafted this from my block; I rotated the bust dart into the waist dart, extended the shoulders to make kimono style sleeves, and that was that.  The skirt is pretty similar to the By Hand London Zeena dress skirt; but, oh my goodness, did I make heavy weather of those pleats!!

 

Won't bore you with the details, but there was a lot of crawling around the floor and pinning to decide how deep the pleats should be versus how much fabric I had.  It took way more time than it should have... 
 
In consequence, the skirt is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than my preferred length as it was the only way that I could get the checks to match at the waist.  It has the world's narrowest hem, and I was a bit concerned about the shortness.  But I have worn it, and nobody said that my skirt was half way up my bum, so it's obviously all in my head!


The fabric is cotton, and is a bit like a double gauze as it is tartan on one side, and purple on the other.  I bought 2 metres, and ended up with scraps after making the skirt.  It has a slightly lose weave, so it was a bit tricky to match up the stripes completely, but I love how it turned out.  Also I am very happy that my love of tartan can now extend to summer clothes, although I did get some grey and purple tartan during the week for a winter dress.

 

Have a great week,

Lynne

32 comments:

  1. I think the length is very flattering and it is a lovely dress - beautifully matched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy with the length now - I don't know what I was fussing about!!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous dress! You look great in purple and I don't think it's too short at all, in fact i think the length is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I absolutely love purple, and firmly believe that it makes everything better. Also, when I'm wearing this, it feels the same length as my other dresses!

      Delete
  3. Great dress! The colors are beautiful on you and it's a fun change from florals for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, there definately needs to be more tartan summer fabric!

      Delete
  4. Whatever it took to lay out your plaid! it was well worth it! Congrats on a perfect fabric pairing. This dress suits you to a tee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aerosmith sang that falling is love is hard on the knees - they should try matching fabric prints!! In fact, that song was going around my head at the time!

      Delete
  5. lovely fabric, reminds me of one of my favourite shirts I made to wear to work (short sleeved, so it's summery too) and I also have a seersucker similar that I can't decide what to do with (I want to make everything into a shirt dress at the moment!). I really like what you did with bodice and skirt, the length looks good, it seems very balanced with the bodice - nothing wrong with showing a bit of knee! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh my goodness, I'm in "everything to be a shirtdress" mode too! I was looking through my button boxes to match buttons to fabric, and I'm going to have to suck it up on Saturday and go into town for button supplies.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress! All that work was worth it for those pleats! That fabric is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabric is really lovely, and the purple is really purpley (if that makes sense!).

      Delete
  7. Great dress! Your drafting is spot-on, including the final length. Perfect for a spring or summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to get lots of wear out of it before autumn.

      Delete
  8. Love it! Looks completely knock out - perfect length as far as I can see ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried every permutation to get the length I wanted, but I didn't need to worry about in the end. You live and learn!

      Delete
  9. love it! i love the way the checks go on the bodice! i have had a similar skirt in mind for summer and you have promoted me to get on and actually make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, there was a bit of fussing about where the white line should go on the bodice before I cut it out. There nothing like a good bit of over-thinking! Good luck with your skirt.

      Delete
  10. Love your dress! I think the length of the skirt is fine! Nothing to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I'm very wise about the length now. Every day is a school day - as my old boss used to say!

      Delete
  11. Oh what a lovely dress! It suits you so well. Agree with other commenters above - the length looks perfect if you ask me! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The length seems no different to my other dresses when I'm wearing it. I have to wonder about myself sometimes!!

      Delete
  12. You did a great job matching the pattern! I like the length too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pattern matching was worth it in the end!

      Delete
  13. Love love love love love love LOVE your dress! The cut is just gorgeous, I get a wee Vivenne Westwood vibe from the structure - you should be really thrilled with yourself, the colour of the tartan is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of it being a bit VW, but I'll definitely take it!!

      Delete
  14. It's a fab dress, and definitely doesn't look too short. The fabric looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pattern and the fabric, went looking at maeves fabrics and have ordered some lovely jersey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, Maeve has too many lovely fabrics!!

      Delete
  16. Oh I love this! It looks fab! Definitely agree tartan isn't just for winter; I have a Kim-bodice dress in a dark tartan and have been wearing that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.