Saturday, 2 April 2016

Sew Over It Tulip Skirt and Shawl Collar Blouse

This is an updated version of the black blouse from a few weeks' ago.  

 

I said that I wanted to lower the neckline, which I did, by 1.5 inches.  I also lowered the back and front necklines by 1 cm.  This is something I was shown at my pattern drafting class, which we used on shirt and convertible collars.  Basically, when you trace your sloper, you shave 1 cm off the back and front neckline, and carry on from there.

 

The collar is then drafted from the lowered neckline measurement, which meant that I had to re-draft this collar.  I don't know what the reasoning is behind lowering by 1 cm (maybe to open up the neckline a bit?), and really wasn't sure if it would work on a lower neckline, but thought "what's the worst that can happen?!"



My fabric is salvaged from this dress.  I was pretty sad about this dress not working out - the collar was a disaster, and I was a bit hacked off as the fabric wasn't exactly cheap.  It's Brussels Washer Linen/Rayon mix from Dragonfly Fabrics. I harvested most of the fabric from the skirt, and found a little bit more in the scraps pile too.

 

And it goes very well with this skirt that took a while to finish.   This is the Sew Over It Tulip Skirt, which I bought as soon as it was released.  This wool fabric is also from Sew Over It, but I got it when it was sale, and they don't seem to have it anymore.

 

There's not much to say about the construction of the skirt, as it's really easy and the instructions are great.  I especially like the curved waistband instead of a rectangle waistband, and would like to try adding this shape of skirt to a dress.

 

If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I have started to make a hand-tailored jacket.  I got a good bit done over Easter, but stalled in the middle of the week when it turned out that my lining fabric wasn't going to work.  But I was able to get exactly what I wanted in The Spinning Wheel in Belfast this morning, so I might start on the welt pockets tomorrow.

Lynne


  

22 comments:

  1. I love the fabric you found for the skirt. I can picture a jacket in it too. Yay for recycling the fabric from your dress, it was far too nice to waste it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I think this fabric would be lovely as a jacket, and I didn't need too much for the skirt.

      Delete
  2. Perfect match - I love the wool skirt and your blouse looks perfect - you have put so much work into the drafting and it has really paid off!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've very pleased with how the improved neckline turned out.

      Delete
  3. What a great outfit! You did well in repurposing the dress fabric, the blouse looks wonderful. Those has to be my favorite of all short sleeves :) Lovely skirt, too. It looks so cosy! a cool weather favorite, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to say that I am very fond of a capped sleeve.

      Delete
  4. Lynne, a beautiful skirt and lucky you for being able to wear a tulip shape, I think I'd look more like a red pepper than a flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love the shape of the skirt!

      Delete
  5. This outfit looks amazing! I just love the blouse. It suits you perfectly. And the skirt is amazing too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very cute ensemble. The colors are suiting you very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love all of these colours together.

      Delete
  7. Love this outfit and yay for being able to rescue some of your gorgeous purple fabric to make the blouse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely colours and shapes in this outfit - a perfect pairing ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think they go together really well.

      Delete
  9. They look great together! And so good that you were able to save some of that lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I was pleased to be able to re-use it.

      Delete
  10. Great outfit! The skirt in particular is gorgeous! It's the colour of heather, so puts me in mind of a cheeky weekend away to a country hotel! Yum! :)

    Gem x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.