Saturday, 6 February 2016

#VintagePledge - Style 4050 View 4

This is my first make for the #VintagePledge.
 
 


http://www.astitchingodyssey.com/2016/01/sign-up-to-vintagepledge-2016.html


As I mentioned in my last post, the pattern is Style 4050, and this is View 4 on the far left.  




Let's talk a bit about the pattern first though.  It's a single sized pattern and was sold as already cut.  When I opened the pattern I was delighted to find that a previous owner had pinned View 3 together, maybe to tissue fit it.  I was stupidly excited about this because it felt like Time Team!  Little amuses the simple, eh!!


Apologies for the rubbish photo, it was taken on my phone.


Also, I love that the stitching lines are marked on the pattern.  I wish modern patterns did this, as it made it so much easier to measure the pattern for fit; but I suppose a multi-sized pattern would get very cluttered if the stitching lines were marked too.



My fabric is what was left over from my Tartan Shirt Dress.  I had 38" x 43" (97cm x 109 cm) of fabric so had to do a bit of pattern Tetris to get it to fit.  I ended up cutting it out on a single layer, and as the waistband folds over on itself, I only needed to cut one.  Apologies for another rubbish phone photo, and ignore the mess in the corner!  


I was delighted that the zip and waistband lined up perfectly on the first go,

 
and then I found this little buckle, so attached it.

 

 One side is attached with velcro so I don't have to un-do the buckle.


This skirt was so easy to make, that all but the hem was done in an afternoon! 

 



I like all the other Views as well, so don't be surprised if I end up making them too.  I recently did a stock-take on my fabric, and found quite a few left-over pieces of fabric that would be perfect.



Hope everybody else's Vintage Pledges are going well.

Have a great weekend,

Lynne  

26 comments:

  1. I love the buckle, it's the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great skirt Lynne! This is just the perfect fabric for it. I love the buckle and the velcro, so smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the fabric matches the pattern very well.

      Delete
  3. Lynne, I really love that you wear the same shoes with your skirt as the girls on the envelope do! And I'm amazed that you pattern matched with so little fabric left :) great skirt and I wouldn't mind to see more versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't noticed that about my shoes! They are my one pair of black every day shoes. Having little feet is rubbish.

      Delete
  4. What a cute skirt, Lynne! The buckle is a perfect addition and the velcro is genius.

    Also, I love when vintage patterns show evidence of use, like your pinned pieces! It's such a fun link to the past. I know they're more valuable, but I always get a little disappointed when older patterns are uncut. It takes some of the experience's charm away! I want to daydream about the person who used those pieces before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean, it's like those old patterns have never lived!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, how amazing did you feel to manage to cut it out from leftover fabric - well done!!! The skirt is so lovely and I really love the buckle, it suits it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was absolutely determined that I was getting this skirt out of that fabric!

      Delete
  6. That is one cute skirt, and perfect buckle ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful skirt and I love the buckle detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh Lynne, it looks so lovely on you! It's amazing when you find something already cut or pinned too - I found that a pattern from a 1980s Make it Easy mag was pre-cut in my size recently and was so pleased/relieved. The buckle looks fab too :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Make It Easy pattern must have been waiting for you to find it!

      Delete
  9. Super cute - I may have to search for this pattern! It looks fab with the tartan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You would love this pattern!

      Delete
  10. What a stroke of genius to use velcro on the buckle! Your skirt looks so great, and it suits you so well! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I added the velcro because I knew I just couldn't be bothered fiddling with the wee buckle.

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful! The buckle detail really sets the skirt off to a tee. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute skirt, I love that shape! I have a similar RTW one in red needlecord. I'll definitely need to keep an eye out for that pattern. Very impressed with your flawless zip and waistband matching too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.