Saturday, 13 February 2016

#VintagePledge - McCall's 3910

This my second skirt for the #VintagePledge.  The pattern is McCall's 3910, I got it on ebay for a snip at £1.99, and it is fantastic!

My top is a Tilly And The Buttons Agnes top

I love the shape of this skirt so much, the back is fuller than the front, and is slightly longer to make a sort of train - for want of a better way to describe it. 


Also, I love that it's "Extra Carefree"!
 

The pattern calls for a whooping 2.75 metres of fabric, but I think I used a little bit less.  My fabric is some black and white houndstooth suiting from ebay.  I ordered 3 metres, and got a bit more, but the cut edges looked like they'd been chewed off the bolt!


I didn't measure how much I used, but it definately wasn't as much as 2.75 metres, and I should have enough left for a dress.  As with the Style 4050 pattern, this is a single size pattern, and the seam allowances are marked on the pattern.  

The pattern hadn't been used before, and I wanted to trace it because I knew I'd have to shorten it.  It was only when I was tracing that I realised the skirt is all in one piece, and the only seam is at the back.  Also, the waistband is a rectangle which folds over on itself, so that makes exactly two pattern pieces! 


Because of the width of the skirt, it is cut on the cross grain.  It was really easy to make, the skirt is shaped at the front with two darts, although they sit a bit further away from the front that most skirt darts.

 

 And the back is shaped by these amazing tucks.

 


I shortened it by 9cm; there wasn't a lengthen/shorten line, so I ruled a line at a right angle to the grainline, and cut along it.  Also, I forgot to stay-stitch the waist line (which is so unlike me!  If it has a curve; I stay-stitch), and the waist stretched a bit.  But I was able to ease it into the waistband. 
 

I forgot to take into account that the waistband doesn't overlap, and didn't have the required hooks and eyes to close it.  I found this lovely button in my button box, I think it came off a top I bought in Dorothy Perkins petite section a million years ago.  I got some black cord and made a button loop, attached the cord to some black ribbon, and hand-sewed it to the inside of the waistband.


I love this skirt!  It's so swishy and brilliant, and also it's only the middle of February, and my #VintagePledge is complete!  Just sayin... 


Have a great weekend,

Lynne

28 comments:

  1. Fabulous - i love the shape of the skirt. The darts and shaping are so unusual. It's gorgeous - tempted to look for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw a few copies of it on ebay, so hopefully you'll be lucky.

      Delete
  2. this is gorgeous!!! I especially love the extra fabric at the back and the back pleats!
    frankie

    www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It wsa the back that made me buy it.

      Delete
  3. Wow Lynne - that is brilliant. I love the back shaping and the little train. I am hoping to finish my maxi skirt this week to go with my jacket and now have real pattern envy. Will you wear your skirt for work or keep it fir something special?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a work skirt, it's too lovely to not be worn much.

      Delete
  4. Good job in your vintage skirt. It has a very interesting shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this skirt too - I knew you'd make it look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  6. I love your button closure" I don't think I've seen one like this before, did you invent it? It's genius! I hope you don't mind that I plan to copy it ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Copy away on the button closure! "Invent" makes it sound like I planned it when, really, I just winged it! I originally thought of rouleau loops - until they were impossible to turn out. So this was necessity being the mother of invention. And it just kind of made sense to sew the cord onto some ribbon to stablise it.

      Delete
  7. Really love this. What a great shape at the back. Also using a button as closure is great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love this. What a great shape at the back. Also using a button as closure is great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great! I love the back of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing skirt, I can't believe it's only in two pieces. I'm going to my first 'grown up' sewing class at the weekend to make a dress/top! Very excited about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your class, I'll look forward to seeing your dress.

      Delete
  11. You're on fire, Lynne. Already two projects, I'm so jealous of you. Your maxi-skirt looks fabulous and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice skirt :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that skirt! I've made something similar before my blogging days with a train effect, so glorious to wear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.