Saturday, 27 February 2016

1970s Dress

The 70s goodness continues with this dress!  I made this before Christmas, but am only getting around to blogging it now.

 

 

It was the fabric that inspired this make.  About a year ago I was looking on the My Fabrics website for some peachskin fabric; I had it in my head that I wanted to make a white shirt, which might happen soon.  Anyway, I typed in "peachskin", and this fabric appeared in the search results.  Being absolutely no stranger to a bold print, especially if it has a 70s feel to it, I was all over it.  Sadly, I can't find it on the website anymore.  It came in two different coloured backgrounds, purple and blue; I surprised myself by liking the blue better and ordered 2.5 metres.

I have a 1970s board on Pinterest, and really liked these Biba dresses.




My favourites are the top left and bottom right, but I thought the details would be lost in the print on my fabric.  In fact, the details are a bit lost in the dress on the bottom right as the fabric is so busy.  I will re-visit these though, and already have plans for something based on the bottom right dress.  In the end I took inspiration from this old Simplicity pattern.

Simplicity 7245

I liked the green long-sleeve version on the left, but an empire waist is not my friend, so I drafted a waist length bodice with waist darts, and used the skirt pattern from my 1940s dress because I love the shape of it.  The sleeves are from my Magenta Addams dress - which I love.

 

 

I had a Peasant Blouse neckline in my head, so narrowed the front waist dart, and transferred the bust dart into gathers at the neckline.  On the back I added some width to the neckline by slashing and spreading from the middle of the neckline to the underarm, and gathering the neckline.


As both the front and back neckline are gathered with elastic, I put the zip in the side seam;  and happily, it turned into one of those serendipitous sewing moments.  I reinforced the side seam with some lightweight interfacing, then sewed in the invisible zip.  I didn't try too hard to line up the waistline because I thought I would have to unpick the zip to adjust the waist a bit.  I tried it on, and not only was the waistline lined up perfectly, but it fitted perfectly too.  Hurray! 



 

As peachskin is quite shifty - as in it moves about when cutting, and not that it's nefarious - I had soaked it in gelatin solution I've had success with this before, but it didn't work so well this time.  I think this was because I was soaking two other pieces of fabric at the same time, and didn't use enough gelatin.  So, when it was dry, I pegged it to the washing line and sprayed it with most of a tin of spray starch.  And I'm not joking about the most of a tin; I went to shake the tin, and realised it was nearly empty!  Anyway, this did the trick to stiffen my fabric, (even if it did smell a bit) and washed out once my dress was finished.

Here's what the fabric looks  like drapped over my hand.  This photo is with the spray starch,


and this is with the spray starch washed out.



I recently made my first pair of Tilly And The Buttons Fifi Pyjamas,

  
and as I had 2.5 metres of this fabric, when I was cutting out my dress I realised that I would have enough for another pair.  So I made those too:

 


I thought my jammies and dress would both look well with a rolled hem, which I did on my overlocker.  Also, I was delighted to find that I had four navy overlocker cones.  I'm fairly sure they must have come from my Granny, as I have absolutely no recollection of buying them.



I love my dress, and also my jammies, and have fabric to make two more sets.



Have a great weekend,

Lynne

31 comments:

  1. Lynne this dress is gorgeous. I love a touch of the 70s too! With all your genius pattern drafting skills and that amazing fabric you have created a totally unique and designer dress. Love your pjs too. :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about the 70s!!

      Delete
  2. Loving your dress Lynne. The 70's look is so cool, reminds me of the series 'Man about the house'and the stuff the young girls wear. Love the top right dress from your pinterest. I have a similar looking dress in velvet, used to wear it in the 80's. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had completely forgotten about "Man About The House". I used to watch that when I was a child. I shall have to google it for more 70s inspiration. I love the neckline and the sleeves on the top right dress, I'll definately be coming back to it.

      Delete
  3. Loving your dress Lynne. The 70's look is so cool, reminds me of the series 'Man about the house'and the stuff the young girls wear. Love the top right dress from your pinterest. I have a similar looking dress in velvet, used to wear it in the 80's. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric, it's wild! How great to be able to use leftovers to make some cutee pjs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabic said "buy me" as soon as I saw it, and I was pleased to be able to squeeze the jammies out of the rest of it.

      Delete
  5. What a great dress! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great dress and a brilliant interpretation of your original inspiration 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got 70s right there! Love it and always a bonus to make something with leftovers. I can tell this dress makes you happy, you're smiling in every picture, even the ones of just your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the first photo made me look tall. Not sure what that's about!!

      Delete
  8. Oh, Lynne, this looks fantastic! You're so clever with all your marvelous drafting. It looks great on you. I'm also very impressed that you cut out your PJs at the same time! I need to do more of that. I always end up putting an awkward-shaped remnant piece away and forgetting about it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Recently I sorted out all of my remnants, and was amazed to see what was usable. I was delighted to squeeze a blouse out of some crepe, but I haven't blogged it yet.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous dress Lynne, it looks so much better with a normal waist than an empire line, such a great shape on you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I didn't go with the empire waist, it doesn't do me any favours!

      Delete
  10. I really love this print and the 70's vibe - the original pattern is very cute, though I agree with you about empire lines. You are so confident at making changes to patterns now -it is inspiring! I have temporarily given up trying to fit new patterns and I am just sewing TNT patterns for a little while!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find drafting is easier (and quicker) than trying to sort out fitting issues. There is always room for TNT patterns though!

      Delete
  11. Great dress! Also I love the Fifi pyjama sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how the jammies turned out. I've since made a Fifi top with TATB Margot bottoms, and have another set cut out.

      Delete
  12. That dress is very cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the shape of this dress paired with the fabric, you did a great job emulating your inspiration dresses and it really suits you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  14. What a fun dress! I love the print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, isn't the print brilliant?!

      Delete
  15. Love the 1970s clothes you making, great fabric choices. Fifi pyjamas look great too, I will get round to making those sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about the 70s, and the Fifis are really easy to make.

      Delete
  16. Both the dress and the pyjamas are lovely - and great that you were able to get 2 projects out of the fabric. I wasn't instantly drawn to the Fifi pattern when it was released but I keep seeing pretty versions so I might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty pleased to be able to get the jammies out of the rest of the fabric.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.