Thursday, 28 January 2016

#VintagePledge

I've have enjoyed following the Vintage Pledge for the last two years; it's interesting to see new makes from old patterns, and there is so much sewing inspiration.  I haven't joined in though, because I have so may fitting issues with modern patterns as it isBut this year is different!  So here goes:

"I pledge to make at least two skirts from recently acquired 1970s skirt patterns."


There is a bit of background to this.  Over Christmas I had made a self-drafted skirt, which turned out to be a bit of a disaster.  I'm hoping to be able to rescue it, but at the minute it is having a think about what it's done.  Really, it was my own fault, because I drafted it from the skirt portion of my bodice block, which is a very different beast from a proper skirt block.

Anyway, lesson learnt, I drafted a skirt block.  I used my book from sewing school which is "Metric Pattern Cutting For Women's Wear" by Winifred Aldrich; and, honestly, this was so easy to do.  It took about two hours to draft and make a toile, which is a basic pencil skirt.

Then I had grand plans to draft a 70s style skirt with a pleat at the front, but remembered seeing some blog posts on round-ups for the end of the last Vintage Pledge, which got me thinking about vintage 70s skirt patterns, and how skirts are more forgiving in fit than dresses.  So I spent a happy hour or so lying on the sofa, perusing ebay, and came up with these beauties.

The first one is McCalls 3910, and I got it for £1.99. 

 

I love a maxi skirt, and what really sold this to me was the detail on the back.  It has two tucks sewn on each side of the centre back seam.



I am very excited about making this, and already have the fabric.  It's some black and white houndstooth suiting.

Apologies if  this photo is making your eye go funny, it's certainly doing it to mine!
The second is Style 4050, and it was £3.99.  This pattern has four skirts, and View 4 (on the far left) was similar to the pleated skirt that I had in mind.



I have already finished it, but just need to get around to taking some photos of it, so stay tuned!

Lynne

16 comments:

  1. Good luck with your pledge! I have to say that those patterns bring back rather bad memories of dressmaking classes at school. It was a complete nightmare and I never finished my skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sorry for the bad memories! My school dressmaking classes were a bit of a nightmare too. It's amazing I ever got interested in sewing!

      Delete
  2. I love style pattern illustrations, they remind me of the fashion plates clothing designer toy I had as a kid. All version of that skirt are great ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My sister had one of those fashion plates where you could chop and change the different outfits about - I think it was called a Fashion Wheel. It was brilliant, we had great fun with it.

      Delete
  3. That plaid is lovely, I'm looking forward to seeing your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just need to get some photos of it, but the weather has been rubbish.

      Delete
  4. That back detail on the first dress is really interesting! Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the back of that skirt, and it's nearly finished. I just need to do the waistband closure.

      Delete
  5. Yay! So glad you're joining in this year...great patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for organising it!

      Delete
  6. I love that McCalls pattern! Might need a tracing........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I'll bring it with me the next time I see you.

      Delete
  7. Love those Style 4050 skirts! Can't wait to see your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Aren't they brilliant?!

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to seeing those skirts finished, especially the second. And welcome to the pledge! I already participated last year but failed since I just made a dress. I hope this year goes fine for us both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your pledge for this year.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.