Saturday, 16 January 2016

A-line/shift dress

I'm not sure what to call this dress?  Is it A-Line, is it a shift dress?  Google was no help.

I really should have moved that plant pot!
I'd been wanting to make this style of dress for a while.  I love this dress that I have saved on Pinterest,

http://www.shepiner.com/Turquoise-Bead-Lapel-Long-Sleeve-Slim-Dress-p-147168-cat-1727.html?via=HardPin&utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=Hellosociety&utm_campaign=type96&utm_content=1080
Source
and also Betty Stitchup's gorgeous version of Simplicity 3833. Inspiration struck when I saw the fabric on the sale table in The Spinning Wheel in Belfast.  You know how it's rude not to look at the sale table in the fabric shop...  Anyway, it was 60 inches wide, 1 metre 10 centmetres long, and I got it for £7.99.

 


I've no idea of the exact fabric type, after a burn test I'm guessing a wool mix.  It's double sided, but one side plucked pretty easily.  I'm not sure how easy it is to see, but there is a pluck just above the pin in the photo below.  Also, the pink isn't so pink in real life, it more magenta.  I much preferred the side at the top, which is just as well.


I drafted this using my block, and a book called Metric Pattern Cutting For Women's Wear by Winifred Aldrich.  This is the book I used at my pattern drafting class.

I just about managed to squeeze the pattern onto the fabric; but, oh my goodness, this fabric frayed everywhere!  There were even bits of it stuck to the wall!  I had to get the vacuum cleaner out when I was finished.

 

I lined my dress with some black viscose so it won't stick to my tights, and can confirm that it works perfectly.  It didn't even stick to the woolly tights I'm wearing in these photos.  I was planning to wear it with some black Agnes tops that I made recently, but was delighted to find that it goes with a purple Agnes that I made in the summer; and that's always a bonus!


In fact, I liked it with the purple top so much that I ordered some more of the purple fabric and made another one this week.

Have a great weekend, 

Lynne

30 comments:

  1. I love the fabric! I prefer the side you have on the outside too. I would call it a pinafore because it's being worn over a separate top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah, I hadn't thought of a pinafore, and that's exactly what it is.

      Delete
  2. Than is so adorable, and fits you great. I bet you were thrilled to find you Agnes top matched perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was delighted when my Agnes matched it. It was meant to be!

      Delete
  3. I love this - its such a perfect winter dress and I know I would wear it constantly! I like the side you chose - its much more subtle splash of colour than the other side. I vote that it is A line!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I went with this side of the fabric, and my drafting book called this style of skirt A-line.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is really lovely. So clever to have drafted it yourself too. The fit is perfect and very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Im pleased with how it turned out, and it's so comfy to wear.

      Delete
  5. What a Great fabric find and such an amazing dress, Lynne. It is perfect for winter and for your purple Agnes obviously :) I'm trying to rescue a similar dress that I attempted to made 5 years ago but cut far to big. You really inspire me to keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love getting a bargain in the fabric shop, sadly I didn't get any when I was in the same shop last week. Good luck with rescuing your dress.

      Delete
  6. You have really developed your confidence after your course. This is great - a little like the new Colette pattern. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love pattern drafting now, and seem to be using a combination of my drafting books and the Craftsy drafting classes. I don't think I've seen the new Colette Patterns dress, I shall have to google!

      Delete
  7. I'd call it a pinafore too but it looks like you could wear it on its own and then it would be a princess (according to Vogue Sewing). It doesn't really matter what it's called though - it's a perfect fit and so flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm edging towards pinafore too. The seams are princess seams, so maybe that's where princess comes from. I wonder where all these sewing terms come from?!

      Delete
  8. oh my, I love this fabric (and I love what you did with it too!) Magenta is my favourite colour at the moment, so vibrant and spunky. The shape of the dress is great and the agnes is perfect with it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard to go wrong with any shade of purple as far as I'm concerned! I'm already planning another version.

      Delete
  9. Omg this is gorgeous and looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynne! I grew up in the 60s in America, and we pretty much used A line and shift interchangeably. The first ever dress I sewed myself was an A line shift, fully lined, when I was about 11 years old. My mother, who sewed all our dresses (there were four of us girls), helped me with it. I LOVE your blog! Thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's interesting, because A-line and Shift seemed to be used interchangeably in one of my drafting books; and off the top of my head, I think it's an American book. Wowsers to sewing a dress at 11, I'm very impressed! My Granny used to make my sister and I dresses when we were very young.

      Delete
  11. Stumbled upon your blog and it is GREAT! I love love love your creations and this dress is awesome! well done ;)
    http://www.theoccupiedoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love finding a bargain on the sale table too! The fabric is great and looks perfect for the dress. I love how it looks with your purple top too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who doesn't love a bargain in the fabric shop?! And it always makes the finished item even nicer!

      Delete
  13. Another winner Lynne! I'm loving this dress with your purple Agnes top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks again for the inspiration!

      Delete
  14. Lovely dress! Your top looks more pink than purple on my phone - but in any case they are a good match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it looks a more pink in the photos than it really is.

      Delete
  15. You got yourself a nice winter dress. I wish I wore more dresses in winter to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's lovely and cosy.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.