Friday, 11 December 2015

Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress

I loved my first Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress so much, that I was already planning a second one as soon as the first was finished.

The curse of winter blog photographs strikes again!  These were taken in the back bedroom, which happily has less shadows than the kitchen.


I liked the idea of the version with sleeves for the winter, and used some stretch gabardine from My Fabrics.  I had some of this in blue/purple which I made this dress with.  

 



This fabric is lovely to work with, the only problem is that the stretch makes it a bit springy, and it absolutely refused to lie flat around the collar and plackets.  After a bit of head-scratching, I decided to top stitch the collar and plackets, and it made a big different.  Getting an even curve on the lapel was not easy though - let's just say that me and my stitch ripper are best friends...  I also top-stitched the cuff on the sleeves too.


My buttons are some black satin covered buttons from ebay.  I had bought these, and some sparkly buttons, and couldn't decide which I preferred.  I threw it out to Instagram, and the general consensus was black, so that's what I used.  I also put a backwards buttonhole at the waist.

 

There's not much more to say about the construction, as the pattern instructions are great, and it went together easily.  Except for when I ran out of thread.  One of these days I will remember to buy two spools when making a shirt dress!

I love the pleats on the bodice and skirt, they make a nice change from darts; and also the shape of the skirt.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I make another version next summer.


As I went to type this, I noticed that I now have 600 followers.  So thank you to everybody who follows me, and reads my ramblings!

Have a great weekend,

Lynne

 

24 comments:

  1. Just spotted this on Instagram, another fab sew Lynne. What's on your sewing 'hit list' for 2016?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have actually been thinking about my 2016 sewing list. I have a list sellotaped to the sewing room wall, and things get ticked off as they are done! I have to update it, and also have to think about summer dresses because some of my summer dresses have seen better days.

      Delete
  2. Lovely Lynne... you're going to have a gorgeous set of these for every season xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to look through the fabric stash to see what I to make another summery version.

      Delete
  3. It's a really lovely dress and the colour really suits you. You'll have to make another version to use the sparkly buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those sparkly buttons will definately be getting used - I don't know how yet though!

      Delete
  4. This style looks lovely on you & I agree, the pleats are lovely and create a lovely soft shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like these pleats. I think they're a bit softer than a dart, and they remind me of the pleats on the BHL Anna bodice.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on reaching 600 followers and making another lovely shirt dress! I still want try this one! Also struggling with winter blog photos - so little daytime when it isn't raining!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it awful trying to get photos at the minute?! I'm hoping to get some taken tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Hi, have a peep at www.harlequin-uk.com Perhaps when you make your summer version you might want to add a belt? Well done on your followers and on being a model for Sew Over It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a look at that website, and oh my goodness, the belts are gorgeous! And I see that they do covered buttons too. Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous dress Lynne! The style really suits you and I love the colour :) I'm marvelling at the neatness of your topstitching x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had used my satin stitch foot before to do some top stitching because there is a notch on the eadge that is easy to line up with the edge of the fabric. Naturally I forgot all about this with this dress, and only remembered once the top stitching was done!

      Delete
  8. I get so excited when I see one of these, as I have just traced the pattern and I'm trying to decide what fabric I'm going to use - I love the way the skirts sits in this gaberdine ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  9. So modern vintage - you've created a new genre of dress! Good tip about that secret button - thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That secret button tip is genius!

      Delete
  10. This one looks great too! Good idea about the backwards buttonhole at the waist. And yup, I always buy two thread spools these days, what with all my unpicking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't factored in the unpicking - another good reason to buy two spools!

      Delete
  11. Love this dress! The colour and the shape look really good on you! I think I used the same fabric for a skirt and it is indeed a lovely quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't this fabric gorgeous?! I went a bit mad and bought 4 metres of this colour, so might make culottes with the rest of it.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.