Thursday, 12 November 2015

Purple Shirt Dress

This is one of those things that has been in the sewing queue for a while, so I thought I'd make an effort and actually make it!


 
I'll apologise now for this not so great photo.  It's getting too dark now to take photos outside when I get home from work, and I don't seem to get around to it at the weekend.  So we'll have to make do with these photos with weird shadows taken in my kitchen.  The two-tone wall behind me is from the work I got done in my house in September.  The bottom bit got re-plastered, so let's see how long it takes to get painted...  Feel free to admire my lovely new kitchen floor though!

There's not much to say about it's construction as it's basically the same as my Poppies Shirt Dress and Tartan Shirt Dress (gosh, I love that dress!!).  The skirt is my half circle skirt as on the tartan dress, but I only made the placket to the waist, and put a zip in the side seam.  I used my own how-do on adding a zip with a pocket, and was delighted to find that it made sense!


The fabric is some cotton sateen from Minerva Crafts.  I've also used this in red for my Arielle Skirt and Annalotte Dress.

 

The buttons are lovely, they have a silvery background and a black flower design on top.  I got them in Sew N Sew in Belfast; I can't remember how much they cost, but they were as cheap as chips, because everything is that shop. 


And that's pretty much it about this dress, but I am very excited about my next make which is all finished except for the buttons.  It's a wool cape, and if you follow me on Instagram you will have seen a few progress photos.  I'm just waiting for the Postie to bring me the buttons, and then I'll be ready to go!


Lynne

25 comments:

  1. Oo what a lovely dress. It looks super smart and so neatly finished. Great shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We'll not talk about how one of the buttons fell off today...

      Delete
  2. Great fit and the perfect length! It looks so comfy and relaxed, yet very smart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really comfy to wear, cotton sateen is the best!

      Delete
  3. This is lovely - such a gorgeous shade of purple! I know what you mean about getting pictures at this time of year - my camera takes really bad pictures indoors and somehow the weekends seem to disappear so quickly that I never have a chance to get pictures!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't get around to photos at the weekend!

      Delete
  4. Your fabric choices are always bold - even when just a single colour! Love the richness of this purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This purple really is nice and rich. No wishy-washiness at all!

      Delete
  5. Lovely dress. Its a great colour on you! I must check out their cotton sateen as its such great fabric to work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's great fabric, and I think they have lots of different colours.

      Delete
  6. Ooohhh! Great dress! It looks smashing on you. As I'm now having dress envy, I need to get some purple fabric and make one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who doesn't need a purple dress?!

      Delete
  7. I love the shade of purple you used on this dress! I thought the cut looks so girly on you, too. I made a similar looking dress but used puffed sleeves with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooo, I love puffed sleeves - I know they're not for evereybody, but I think they're great.

      Delete
  8. This looks fabulous on you dear! Love the color and the shape. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find it very hard to go past purple fabric!

      Delete
  9. That is such a glorious colour and I love the buttons you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the buttons too!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous dress - I love the colour, I seem to be quite drawn to purple at the moment! The buttons are really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about purple?!

      Delete
  11. The fit you are achieving is getting better and better every time. Great colour on you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I ended up taking it in a bit because I forgot to factor in the bit of stretch in sateen. Doh!!

      Delete
  12. This is so gorgeous - it's such a lovely shape on you (that half circle skirt!) and the colour is beautiful! I haven't yet attempted a shirt dress, but I think you've got me persuaded with this one :)
    Sian xx Rebel Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Shirt dresses are great, and I can recommend this tutorial on sewing the collar. http://foursquarewalls.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/sewing-collar-different-order.html

      Delete
  13. What a lovely dress! Shirtwaist dresses are my weakness but they require so much work that very seldom I get to make one. Nice buttons, and extra bonus if they were cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.