Sunday, 4 October 2015

The Magenta Addams Dress

This dress was finished two weeks' ago, but I'm only getting around to blogging it now due to all the work I was getting done in my house that I mentioned in my last post.  The work is  finished, and is lovely; but, oh my goodness, the mess was unbelievable!  I feel like all I've done this week is clean!  I had the presence of mind to cut out two jersey tops, Bronte and Agnes, and have been working on them on and off.  They got finished yesterday, and you can see them on Instagram here and here.


Anyway, back to the dress.  I have to talk about the fabric first, because I love it.  It's from My Fabrics and is called Bi-Stretch Gabardine.  As it's name suggests, it's gabardine with a bit of stretch because it has some spandex in it.  It's lovely to work with, and also to wear. This colour is called purple, but is definitely more blue.  I also have it in a rust red shade, and I think I'll make a long sleeve Sew Over It Vintage Shirtdress with it.

I drafted this from my block, and it was inspired by a dress I saw in the internet (which I can't get a link to work to!).  I loved the collar, and the shape of the dress, but it had princess seams, and I wanted to experiment with gathers under the bust.  Also, I loved that it was a bit Wednesday Addams/Magenta from The Rocky Horror Show, hence the name that my sister came up with last night.


The back has darts, and there are shoulder darts underneath the back of the collar.

 
I think my favourite thing about this dress is the sleeves, because they turned out exactly how they were in my head.


I slashed and spread the sleeve head to make the puffy sleeve head, and also slashed and spread the main part of the sleeve to widen it.  Here's what my sleeve pattern piece looks like, complete with idiot guide instructions for my future self!


The elasticated cuff is created using a 1 1/4 inch hem.  I pressed it up, then turned it in on itself and sewed it, leaving a gap for the elastic.  I was trying to work out how to best do this, and remembered that that is how the sleeves are finished on Megan Nielsen's Darling Ranges dress, so I just copied the instructions off it.

The collar was made from some white peachskin fabric from Minerva Crafts.  I didn't do a great job on pressing the seams, but the fabric was a bit tricky to work with, I can live with it though.  I think a point presser/clapper would have helped because it was tricky to get the iron into the ends of the seam, so I may have to ask Santa for one. 




The neck is faced with some white bias tape.  I thought it would be less bulky than a facing, and the white tape works well with the white collar.

 

I flipping love this dress, (as you can probably tell!) and am already planning a sleeveless pinafore version.



Have a great week,

Lynne

21 comments:

  1. Great dress! I love how it looks both vintage and goth-y at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a great dress. I love the classic shape and the colour combination of navy and white is always such a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this colour, but wouldn't have bought this fabric if I'd seen it in a shop, because in my head I'm too pale for blue. I'm happy to be proved wrong though! Fabric shopping on the internet is always a bit of a lottery!

      Delete
  3. This is so cute. I love the bodice shape and contrast collar! Must check out that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love this fabric, and am looking forward to sewing the other colour that I have.

      Delete
  4. This is so cute. I love the bodice shape and contrast collar! Must check out that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress has turned out fabulous. You are very talented to have designed and drafted if from your block. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I forgot to mention that the yoke/bodice was drafted from one of the Crafty pattern drafting classes.

      Delete
  6. Very cute :) It looks pretty, and easy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dress! And the name makes it even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't think of a name, so my sister came to the rescue!

      Delete
  8. This dress is really really lovely!
    Why did I never think of purple before? It may be a colour that I need to investigate for my own wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I LOVE purple, I sometimes have to tell myself to step away from the purple fabrics...

      Delete
  9. It's a really lovely, classic dress. I'm pondering fabric options for a collared dress at the moment and I've now added blue with a white collar to the list of possibilities after seeing your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think a white collar is hard to beat, and have a few ideas for more.

      Delete
  10. I love it! I'm a big fan of Wednesday Addams and this dress is sooo her, and at the same time so wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Who doesn't love Wednesday Addams?!! :)

      Delete
  11. Wow, Lynne! What a great dress! I just adore the shape - it suits you so well. And you can tell the fabric is lovely, even just from the photos. The sleeves, the underbust gathers... Perfect. On top of it all you drafted this yourself?! I'm so impressed! How wonderful! I'm not surprised you want to see more versions, I think one in every colour? Top work! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.