Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Tartan pinafore

This is my second version of this dress, but without sleeves (obviously...).

 

I've had this fabric for a while, it's from Ditto Fabrics, and was £6.75 per metre. It's a polyester/viscose mix, and is lovely and soft. I got two metres, and still have enough left for a skirt. I bought it without a plan for what to make with it, and didn't know what to do with it for a long time.  Eventually it decided to become a pinafore dress.  

I had orginally planned to cut the skirt on the bias, but it turns out that this is an unbalanced check, and I thought it would look a bit mad.

I need to press the zip seam a bit better!
I changed the skirt a bit from the first version, and used the skirt from Tilly And The Buttons Megan dress from Love At First Stitch.  But, me being me, I decided to change it a bit too and added some height above the waist to allow it to finish under the bust.

I'm delighted with my print matching on this, especially on the collar.  I seem to be drawn to fabric that needs the print to be matched!  

 

I planned to make a long sleeved Agnes top in black to wear underneath it, and when the pinafore was finished, I tried it on with a light brown Agnes that I'd made a few months ago.  I wanted to see if I needed to lower the Agnes neckline before cutting out the black one, and was delighted to find that the pinafore goes well with the brown Agnes too!


The brown fabric was from ebay, and the fabric for the black Agnes is from My Fabrics and is the same as the fabric I used for these short sleeve Bronte tops.  I had ordered 2 metres and have another one cut out. I think this is my first Agnes with out the gathered sleeves and I made them 3/4 length by measuring the sleeve length and dividing by three, then folding the bottom third up.  I tend to end up shoving my sleeves up, so didn't see the point of long sleeves for this.  Then I was delighted to find that I had enough fabric for a short sleeve Bronte top too!  


I'm going to wear this to work tomorrow, I haven't worn it yet because I didn't want to get it wrinkled before taking my photos - does anybody else do that?!

Have a great week,

Lynne

16 comments:

  1. This looks fab, I am very impressed by your pattern matching. It looks great with the Agnes underneath too. I've made 6 of them now but still not made a Bronte despite buying the pattern ages ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I've made six Agnes's too, and you'll find making Bronte is a breeze!

      Delete
  2. Very smart outfit and you have done a brilliant job with the pattern matching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with the pattern matching.

      Delete
  3. I think this dress will be really practical for fall and winter. And I definitely do the same! I never wear any garment before I've taken pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one! I don't want to get a garment wrinkled before I take my photos, because then I know it will be days before it's ironed again.

      Delete
  4. I love this look and would totally wear it! I thought the dress had sleeves in it so I had to take a closer look and was so surprised to see that they were actually two different clothing! I think it’s because everything looks so neat and pressed together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I could definately wear this without a top under it too, and I was so pleased when the brown top went with it.

      Delete
  5. Gosh Lynn, you dress looks amazing! The collar is perfect! You are inspiring me to make a pinafore as well :) so one question: did you have to line it to prevent sticking to tights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't line it because I'm lazy, and just wore a slip under it!!

      Delete
  6. I am in total awe of your pattern matching! Just fabulous! I would never dare to attempt anything with such a 'complicated' fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I surprised myself with how quick it was to cut this out, but that was because the red tartan dress I made recently had a big skirt and lots of little collar pieces to match.

      Delete
  7. This is so cute on you! Well done on that pattern matching, that is impressive!!! Also well done on mixing and matching patterns for bodice and skirt - you are so good at doing that! I know if I tried it would end in tears! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Honestly, there's a fair bit of winging it when it comes to the mixing and matching. But I was smart enough to make a toile of this first. I didn't want to waste my lovely tartan!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.