Monday, 12 October 2015

Deer And Doe Fumeterre Skirt

I fell for this skirt the second I laid eyes on it, then made a valiant attempt at talking myself out of buying it.  I decided it was similar to the Gabriola skirt pattern, (which my sister bought me for my birthday last year, and I still haven't made...) and if I really wanted it, I could ask Santa for it.  Then I saw Kerry's version, thought "who am I kidding?" and clicked on buy, and was glad I did when I saw Lizzie's version too.

 

I did a bit of mental stash-diving, and remembered some suiting fabric I'd bought on sale from My Fabrics.  It was originally £7.95 per metre, but I got it for £3.65 per metre.  I was initially not taken with it because I didn't really love the colour, but I'm glad I held on to it, because I've really come around to it.

 

I made Version B with pockets and a fly zip, and made two modifications.  The first was to shorten it considerably as I am small.  As has been mentioned by a few folks who have made this, there is no lengthen/shorten line on the pattern.  I didn't want to lose any of the width in the hem, so drew a line at a right angle to the grainline on each skirt piece to act as a shorten line.  It meant that I had to re-draw the seam lines a bit, but it all worked out.  This meant that I could have still used the hem facing pieces as they are, but I didn't see the point of a hem facing, and just folded the hem under twice and stitched it.  I didn't use the hem facings on any of my Belladone dresses either.

The second mod was to lower the waistband so it would sit at my natural waist.  I hadn't considered this until I read Kerry's post, and it seemed like such a good idea that I thought I'd try it myself.  I measured the waistband pieces, and the length is generous to allow for the elastic at the back, so I tapered the waistband side seams by 1/4" each, and it was grand.

 

I didn't really love how the waistband is sewn.  The instructions say to attach the inner waistband first, then the outer waistband.  I found it tricky to get a neat edge on the lower edge of the outer waistband, so would do it the other way around next time.  Oh, and I used 3/4" elastic instead of 1" elastic as on the pattern, because that was what I had, and it was fine.  I think I might have struggled to get 1" through the waistband. 

I briefly considered matching the stripes on the fabric, but thankfully I caught myself on.  I did match the stripes on the pockets though. I had planned to make this on my little Featherweight, but the fabric shifted everywhere when I was sewing the pockets; and after much unpicking, I used my own machine and walking foot. 


I love this skirt!  It's so swishy, and the elastic in the waistband makes it comfy to wear.  And doesn't love to twirl around pretending that they're Stevie Nicks? 


Ok, just me then...

 

Have a great week,

Lynne

18 comments:

  1. Love the action photo! I was at Ally Pally this weekend and they were handing out forms for the next series of British Sewing Bee. You ought to apply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still not going on The Bee!!

      Delete
  2. Wow Lynne, this looks great! The pattern matching on the pockets is spot on. Fab sew! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how the pockets turned, I think they got unpicked about three times!

      Delete
  3. This looks really great. The striped suiting is actually a really good match for this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The suiting really works for this pattern, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some more.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Your version is making my resolve to resist buying the pattern slip... It was the straight waistband that was stopping me but seeing your curved version has stopped that particular argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I say - just buy it! My mod to waistband worked out well, and I recommend reading Kerry's post on it too.

      Delete
  5. Fab skirt - really suits you - the style and the colour!
    Now why don't I have this pattern.....oh! do now. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ha, Ha! Happy to enable!!

      Delete
  6. Lovely skirt, I like how it looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great skirt Lynne. And matches your hair beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So it does, I hadn't thought of that!!

      Delete
  8. It is a good thing you held on to the pattern. I think the pattern really suits the skirt and you got it for a bargain price per meter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skirt, I love the pockets. Its a great shape for you, it makes your waist look TINY! It also looks super comfy to wear...I am tempted to make one too now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, you're too kind!! You should definately make this, you would rock this skirt!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.