Saturday, 19 September 2015

Annalotte Dress

I'm going to start off by saying that this dress is just not as great as I was hoping it would be, but I do like it!  It's a pattern mash of the By Hand London Anna bodice, and the Charlotte skirt.  I've seen loads of lovely versions, and thought it would be a good replacement for this Elisalex dress.  In fairness, I wasn't too thrilled with that dress either (bad fabric), but it didn't stop me wearing it for two winters!

 

The things I don't like are the bodice darts and the waist.  I had drafted the bodice from my Craftsy drafting class block, and made this Anna-Lou dress with it.  I've never been entirely happy with where the waist sits on that dress; but, of course, I didn't change it on my pattern piece...  Also, I think the top of the bust pleats are too close together.  It's not noticable on the Anna-Lou dress because of the spotty fabric, but I definitely notice it on this red cotton sateen.  This is the same sateen that I used for my Arielle skirt; sadly, it wrinkles like nobody's business.  I can live with it though, and it will be grand with a cardigan, but I shall be going back to the original pattern from now on.

 

 

But there is one thing about this dress that I absolutely love, and that is the accordion pleat that I drafted for the back of the skirt - which turned out to be more difficult to photograph than sew! 

 

 

I have made one Charlotte skirt as on the pattern, but it has only been worn a handful of times because I keep ripping the split at the back.  It turns out that I am utterly incapable of walking in a pencil skirt!  I drafted the pleat using the Craftsy class "Pattern Making Basics, The Skirt Sloper", and it was really easy to do.  Also, I am now a big fan of spray starch, which I used to press the pleat, and will be using on the rest of it too.


In other news, this morning I had to (brace yourselves...) tidy up the attic/sewing room.  It was neither fun, nor pretty; but it's done.  The reason is that I am getting the bathroom replaced next week, and the workies need access to the water tank in the attic.  The house is going to be upside down, because I am also getting a new kitchen floor and ceiling too.   


Wish me luck!  And have a great week,

Lynne

17 comments:

  1. Well, it looks very nice to me - and the pleat is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I have never heard that term before - accordion pleat - there is just SO much to learn when you start to sew! Dress looks lovely - will be a great layering piece for Autumn. Good luck with the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to say that I hadn't heard of an accordion pleat before either. But I remembered it from watching the Craftsy class, and it looked like the pleat that was in my head!

      Delete
  3. Lynne, I think you are really critical of your own makes - ReAnn told me off for that the other week. From where I'm standing this dress is another winner and the accordian pleat is a genius idea. Get your spotty tights on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so right! We are always too critical of our own makes. I'm looking forward to wearing this with patterned tights, and for a bonus I recently found some patterned tights that I thought I'd lost!

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely pleat! I totally relate to you about wearing dresses that aren't quite perfect to death. Somehow they get more wear than the perfect ones do and I never get around to making a second, better version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh my goodness, you are so right!!

      Delete
  5. That pleat is amazing, I've not heard of it before. Hope all the work in the house goes smoothly this week. By the way, I didn't know that spray starch existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The work is going well, and should be finished by the middle of next week. The house is a tip though, but the bright side is that there is no point in doing any cleaning!! I didn't know much about starch at all until I googled it after making this dress, and all I can say is that spray starch is the best thing ever!

      Delete
  6. I'm making a red dress too! I don't use block colours much and I know what you mean, every little shows up. Still, I think your dress is lovely and I'm most impressed with the accordion pleat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do admit to having a weakness for a red dress! Good luck with yours.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure that in spite of the slight imperfections that you can see (and I'm sure nobody else would think twice about them!), you'll still enjoy wearing it. The pleat looks great - I'll have to remember that in case I ever feel the need for a pencil skirt, because one of the reasons I don't wear them is because I know I wouldn't be able to walk in one without ripping it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't walk in a pencil skirt! It's a shame too, because the purple one that I made is lovely.

      Delete
  8. That pleat looked so nice and a good way for me to have at least one pencil skirt! I also hate pencil skirts because I need to remind myself over and over that I can’t make huge step forward and act more ladylike when wearing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pleat was really easy to sew, and make it sooo much easier to walk in!

      Delete
  9. It's a shame you're not happy with elements of the dress but oh that accordion pleat is a thing of beauty! And I love the colour of the dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.