Monday, 31 August 2015

My "The Made Up Initiative" pledge

I'm sure you've seen Karen's "The Made Up Initiative" by now; it's been all over the blogs.  As someone who has a sleeping disorder called reading, how could I not join in!



My pledge isn't very exciting - I wasn't up for a big project after The Coat - so I pledged to make a new cover for my sewing room ironing board.  Back in February, when I was making the Baby Star Quilt, there was an unfortunate incident with the iron versus some double-sided interfacing, which resulted in a red hot sticky mess on my ironing board.

You can maybe make out a star shape in the middle of the interfacing gunk!
The obvious solution would have been to buy/make a new cover... but I didn't bother, and put some fabric scraps over the sticky bit.  Result - every time I ironed something, the fabric scraps would lift off with whatever I was pressing.  This got very old, very fast.  Still I did nothing!!

In May, Tilly And The Buttons posted this handy tutorial on how to make a new ironing board cover.  I thought, "what a great idea, I must do that", I even added it to Pinterest!  In June, Ruth was having a de-stash, and gave me some wax cotton that would have been perfect - still no ironing board cover!!

 

It took The Made Up Initiative to give me the kick up the bum that I needed.  And you know what, it took about 45 minutes to make!


And once it was finished, I was so pleased with myself that I made some Margot pyjama bottoms with the rest of the fabric!


I've been using my new ironing board cover for about a week now, and am frankly flabbergasted that I put up with the old one for so long.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody makes for their pledges.  Good luck with your project if you are taking part!

Lynne

12 comments:

  1. I need a new ironing board cover too as I still have the original cover from when I bought the ironing board some ahem 25 years ago!!! You can probably tell that the iron doesn't come out very often chez josiekitten. I use it when sewing and only if something is seriously creased! Perhaps it's time I made myself one, especially as you say it's so simple! Yours looks great, as do the matching pjs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!! I'm the opposite, because I'm one of these crazy people who actually likes ironing! I couldn't get over how easy it was to make this cover. I was a bit cross because I only had the ironing board a few months when I got the interfacing stuck on it, but it was a cheap small ironing board from Ikea. I recently a new "main" ironing board, and nearly fainted at the price. Who knew big ironing boards were so expensive?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me; I need a new cover for my board. I made one just weeks after I started sewing, but now after a couple of years, it looks just as awful as the last one did :D
    Your's looks great, and you can now iron in style in your pj's ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, this is so easy to make - you won't regret it! I have to though that making the jammie bottoms was a bit tricky with the fabric being the same as the ironing board. It was hard to tell where the jammies stopped and the ironing board started!

      Delete
  4. H! I do that all the time! Think I even pinned Tilly's ironing board cover and was *definitely* going to do it. Have I? No, of course not. So good on you for using the Made Up Initiative to make a necessary and long overdue item. Definitely going to try and make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only ironing board procrastinator! Good luck with your cover, you won't regret making it!

      Delete
  5. My ironing board is looking a bit sad, so it's good to know that making a new cover is so quick. Good idea to use this as your pledge to give you the incentive to make the cover. I've been refashioning a denim dress today for my pledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a sewing pledge! I think it can give a push to try something different. Good luck with your dress refashion.

      Delete
  6. i so have to do this - my ironing board cover is disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to ironing board covers get so grubby?! Especially when we're putting clean fabric/clothes on them! One of life's great mysteries!

      Delete
  7. Say, that's a gorgeous cover! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.