Saturday, 6 June 2015

The "I can't believe this turned out well" Arielle skirt

Seriously, I made such a dog's dinner of this skirt (all  my own fault, of course), that I can not believe that it actually nice, and also wearable!  But let's talk about the good bits first.

 

My love of Tilly And The Buttons patterns continues with the Arielle Skirt. Mine is made from some red stretch cotton sateen from Minerva Crafts.  I may have to buy more of this because I think it would make a lovely shirt dress for the winter.

The lining is some fabric that was left over from my first Mathilde blouse, and the buttons came from Minerva Crafts about 3 years ago.  I bought them simply because I liked them, and I think they look great on my skirt.  Let's take a minute to appreciate them up close.

 

Look at those wee faces, aren't they brilliant?!  Sadly I couldn't find them on the website anymore.

The only mod I made was to shorten the longer length skirt by 3 inches.  The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that the buttons are the opposite side to the pattern envelope.  That would be the first mistake that I made!  I thought that my fabric didn't have an obvious right side, and carefully cut out the front pieces as the excellent instructions told me too.  I sewed the darts, and joined the three skirt pieces together, and then the difference between the right and wrong sides leapt out at me when the outside of the back looked different to the outside of the front.  Much unpicking and re-stitching ensued, and let's just call it a design feature...


Naturally I had already cut out my lining, so the front pieces were wrong too.  I re-cut the smaller piece from the larger piece, and had enough fabric left to re-cut the larger front piece again.  But guess what - I cut it with the wrong side up, so it was the same as the piece that I'd previously cut!  I just had to suck it up though because I didn't have any fabric left.  In my defence, both sides of this fabric do look pretty similar.  I took this photo to show you, but it's difficult to see the difference in it.


The bit that is wrong side up is on the right.  To me, the black dots look slightly lighter, but you'd really have to look at it in real life to see it properly.  And really, who's going to be looking at the inside of my skirt?!  I'm over it already!

The instructions for attaching the lining were great, but my lining fabric frayed terribly, so I thought I'd whizz the seam allowance round the overlocker once I had attached the lining to the facing.  That was the next disaster!  I'm not sure how easy this is to see in the photo, but I managed to catch some of the lining fabric in the stitching.  It's just to the right of the curve, there is a black dot that has a little bit out of it's side, and the edge of a black dot below it.  I could have unpicked it because I hadn't used the blade on the overlocker, but I was afraid of the lining fraying, so it's staying as it is. 


Then came the buttonholes.  I think my brain had given up completely by then!  I was getting a bit confused with the whole "right over left on ladies garments" thing, and started making the buttonholes on the narrower front piece.  I had made three when, thankfully, my mum in law called round.  This gave me a break, and when I went back to it, I realised that the narrow front piece would be on top, and that would look daft.  I didn't fancy unpicking all the buttonholes, and they are covered by the wide front piece, so they stayed too.

 

 So after all that, I was utterly amazed that it turned out so well! 


I've been sewing some jersey tops recently, and had planned to make Tilly's new Agnes top this weekend (I got it in the post yesterday), but Andrew very kindly gave me the cold that he's had all week, and after this skirt, I don't think it would be wise to start a pattern that I haven't made before just now!  So I'm going to make a gathered skirt instead - maybe on my new Featherweight which is now in full working order.

Have a great weekend,

Lynne

37 comments:

  1. This is lovely really cute. Those buttons are so special. I rather like the buttons on that side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the Buttons on that side too.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks lovely! The spotty lining makes me smile and those buttons are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about those buttons?!

      Delete
  3. The skirt looks great, and those buttons are just the bees knees :D
    Get well soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm feeling a bit better today.

      Delete
  4. The skirt is really cute. And I.JUST.LOVE.THE.BUTTONS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aren't they just brilliant?!

      Delete
  5. Really flattering shape on you and I love your black and white accents. Some sewing projects just go like that don't they? But, you're right, it's turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it weird how some things just seem to be hard work from start to finish? It turn out ok in the end though.

      Delete
  6. Lovely skirt and the buttons are great fun. Never notice any of the issues it gave you at all. Glad to hear you got your Singer working.. Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was trying to use the Singer yesterday, but there seems to be a problem with the stitch length. It's really fluffy and grimey inside, so I'll have to give it a good clean out, and hopefully that will do the trick.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, what a frustrating project! It turned out beautifully, though, after all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am delighted with how it turned out.

      Delete
  8. Some projects just seemed doomed to cause trouble don't they?! The finished skirt is lovely though, nobody would ever guess about the problems you had along the way. And those buttons are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Doomed is just the right word to describe it, especially when it was one issue after another!

      Delete
  9. Your patience and persistence with this skirt was worth it. It is a great shape for you. Glad that you finally found the project to show of those fabulous buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the persistence was based on blind hope and optimism that the current mistake would be the last! And I'm glad I found a use for the buttons.

      Delete
  10. This looks great after all your trials and the buttons are fabulous. I often end up spending ages staring at fabric wondering which is the right side and trying to make sure I keep to it once I picked a side! I think it is unlikely that anyone else would notice! The fit is really perfect on you - I do like this pattern

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This fabric was a bit sneaky on the whole right/wrong side thing. It looked the same before I cut it, then it pulled a swifty on me when I sewed it together!

      Delete
  11. Well done for persevering, the skirt turned out beautifully in the end and of course there are those cute buttons to top it all off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definately was all worth it in the end!

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, those buttons are so fab!!! And well done for sticking with the skirt - I've had many a project like that and more often than not then end up thrown in a heap in the corner of the room in anger! lol Maybe I shouldn't admit to that?!!! But as I said, well done for sticking with it, it was TOTALLY worth it, and none of the 'mistakes' can be seen so no one needs to know ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've done the whole throwing things in the corner too. I have a couple of buttons left over, and I'm thinking of sewing one onto something else to see how they wash. I would be so sad if the wee faces came off in the first wash!

      Delete
  13. You look gorgeous in EVERYthing!

    You'll have to start marking the right and wrong sides to the fabric... I've just got some chalk for this, as my current project (some Holly Jumpsuit Trousers) has very tricky fabric ... right and wrong side just a smidge different!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, thank you!! I swear that fabric looked exactly the same on both sides before I cut it! I feel there was some sort of witchcraft involved... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great outfit with awesome details. You have a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your skirt looks completely fabulous on you, and none of the issues are evident in the pics. Those buttons are divine & if you had posted a link to them, the website would have crashed ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was gutted that I couldn't find the buttons on the website. I wanted to share the buttoney goodness with everybody!

      Delete
  17. Trials aside, it was worth the effort, what a neat and gorgeous skirt! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beyond cute! Very, very stylish and the buttons are crazy inspiration! Such fun detailing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.