Monday, 22 June 2015

Clemence Skirt

You know when you make something, and you love it so much that you can't stop wearing it?  And then you think, "I really must wear something else, or people will think I'm gross"?  Well, that's this skirt.

 

It's the Clemence skirt from Love At First Stitch. My fabric is some border print wax cotton that I bought on ebay last summer with the intention of making a gathered skirt.  Then I never got around to it because I sort of fell out of love with the fabric.  That was until a few weeks ago when I saw this skirt by Veronica Darling.   It was the metal zip and the contrast hem that did it!  I wanted to pinch Veronica's skirt straight away; and as we are the same height, it would most likely fit.  But as she is in Shanghai, and I am in Belfast, I thought it would be easier to make my own!  And there must be something in the air, because Lara from Dreaming Of Avonlea recently made this gorgeous pleated polka dot skirt with a metal zip too.

 

It was really easy to make - just three rectangles and a waistband, then a contrast hem.  The waistband and hem are some black cotton poplin that was in my stash.  The zip came from ebay, and I ended up buying three, because inspiration may strike me to make some more.

I used this tutorial to sew the zip, but ended up having to unpick it and move it over a bit, because I stupidly forgot to try the skirt on with the zip pinned in, and it was too big.  Anyway, here's what the first go at the zip looked like.


And here's the second.  I had to move it over by about 1/2", so the top of the zip ended up lower than the waistband.  Naturally I had cut off the excess at the top of the zip, so I sewed on some black bias tape to finish it.  The right side is better than the left, but I wasn't going to unpick it. 


When I was finishing the skirt, I thought that a decorative stitch might look nice on the hem.  I used a zag zag stitch (number 24 on my machine) as I thought it went well with the geometric shapes on the fabric.



I fully intend to wear this skirt all summer, and have already worn it to work and to sewing school.  Yep, that's right; real, live, sewing school!  I found a lady in Belfast who teaches pattern drafting (amongst other things), but I'll save all the details for another post.  Suffice to say, I bored some Belfast sewing chums stupid about it when we met up last week!

Have a great week!

Lynne

26 comments:

  1. Hello, I love your version of this skirt. I really like the contrasting waistband and hem. I am in the middle of making a Clemence skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your skirt!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I started to love the black and white fabric again!

      Delete
  3. It is a triumph - one of my favourite makes of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how it turned out.

      Delete
  4. I love that zipper, I've got a few of those in the stash, time to dig them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't the zip great?! Definately time to dig out yours.

      Delete
  5. The skirt looks really great! Love your styling, you look adorable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome fabric! Love the contrast band and exposed zip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're a great combination!

      Delete
  7. I love the print - black and white always looks so sharp. Adding the black waistband and trim really finishes it off. I would wear this all the time as well if it was mine!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It got worn again yesterday, so is currently in the ironing pile!

      Delete
  8. Oh you look DARLING! I love the fabric and no wonder you've been wearing it a lot! Thank you for mentioning my blog! If we we lived closer, we could share wardrobes and just imagine all the swishing we'd do with these skirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the inspiration!! I would love to share your wardrobe, but sadly I think your shoes would be too big for me!! :)

      Delete
  9. Love the decorative stitching you did on the hem. I am interested to hear how your classes go too. You'll be designing your own garments before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very pleased with how the decorative stitch turned out. I think I have 6 or 7 on my machine, but never use them! My classes have been brilliant, and I've learnt so much! Sadly, I only have one class left to go.

      Delete
  10. It makes my eyes cross!!! :o) Great usage of great fabric. Yet, so simple, as idea... I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It made my eye cross too when I was cutting it out!

      Delete
  11. so striking, looks great. Will be interested to hear about your pattern drafting classes ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been boring everybody I know silly about how great my classes are, but I'll do a proper post about it soon.

      Delete
  12. Not bored Lynne, just a wee bit envious - LOL

    Lovely skirt, the contrast band makes all the difference and an impressive zip insertion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You would love the classes. I'll have finished them by the next time I see you, so I can tell you more then.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.