Sunday, 28 June 2015

Bronte and Agnes tops

My old, irrational, fear of knit fabrics has been well and truly banished as I have been sewing so many jersey tops lately, that my sewing room has turned into a one-person production line!  Oh knit fabric, how I love that you are so forgiving in fitting!
My first top was this stripey long-sleeve version of Jennifer Lauren Vintage Bronte Top.  I bought this pattern when it was on sale before Christmas, and the fabric is a jersey/viscose mix from Craftswoman Fabrics in Carrickfergus.


This was so easy to make!  The instructions were a breeze to follow, and I used the lightning bolt stitch on my machine as suggested.  I machine-stitched (instead of hand-stitching) the overlap down at the front of the shoulders by sewing on top of the neckband top-stitching.


 
I loved it so much that I decided I needed many more, so ordered some black double knit fabric - I think it was from The Village Haberdashery.  The double knit turned out to be thicker than I expected, but that meant I could make some for the winter!

 
The colour is quite grey in this photo, but it was very sunny when I took it.  I sewed some buttons onto the shoulder overlap, but didn't have enough for both tops.  Also, please take a moment to admire the lovely fence that my tops are hanging on!  I gave up a Saturday afternoon of sewing to help Andrew put that fence up.  Not to mention the ages that it took to cut down the climbing honeysuckle that was there before.  It had to go because the trellis it was on broke in a winter storm.  Then I got the fantastic job of sitting on top of the oil tank with a paint roller to paint the bit of fence behind it!  But I digress...

More fabric was ordered; this time some jersey/viscose mix from My Fabrics, and two short-sleeve versions were made.
 
I have two RTW tops similar to these that get worn a lot with my skirts, so it's great to be able to make some more myself.

 
I had planned to make another Bronte with some red and white stripey jersey/viscose that I also bought from My Fabrics, but then Tilly released the Agnes Top, so I made it instead.

I made the version with out the gathered front, and with the gathered sleeves.  I love these sleeves so much!  I hadn't sewn anything like this before, so it was a bit of trial and error to get the elastic right.  I used my walking foot when sewing all my tops, but changed back to the normal presser foot for the sleeve elastic so that I could get a grip of the top of the sleeve head.  I got there in the end though.
 
The one thing that I'm not happy with (I'm being really picky, and it was my own fault) is the topstitching on the neckband.  I couldn't get my twin needle to work properly, and a line of straight stitches just looked like puckering, so I used a zig zag stitch.  It looks fine, but it's too far away from the neckband because I forgot to trim the seam allowance!  
 


I'll know for next time though because I've already got some fabric to make more!  

 
Tomorrow is my last day at my pattern drafting class (sob!), and I spent all of yesterday and this morning drafting and sewing different types of collar.  I see a lot of collars in my future!

Have a great week!

Lynne

20 comments:

  1. Oh I love these tops. I always thought that you needed an overlocker to sew stretchy knitted fabrics like this to stop them from unravelling!! Just shows how much I know. I might even give one a whirl over the summer holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! An overlocker isn't necessary for sewing knits because knit fabric doesn't fray, but you can sew the seams together with one. I used my sewing machine for the seams as my overlocker doesn't have a speed control, and I was scared of making a mess! I used it to finish the seam allowances though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the button detail. I so need to make some more plain stretch jersey tops so I can ditch all the Primani ones! They go perfectly with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to sew more too, and isn't it great that we can pick our fabric so we know it won't wash out of shape in no time.

      Delete
  4. I love how quick knits are! I think I might need that Bronte pattern........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too, and Bronte is such a great pattern.

      Delete
  5. Good job. Stocking up the tshirt pile is so lovely and quick! What's the pattern for the red button through skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The skirt is a hacked version of Victory Patterns Madeleine skirt - here's my blog post about it

      http://ozzyblackbeard.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/white-stripes-button-placket-madeleine.html

      But Jennifer Lauren Vintage, who did the Bronte top pattern, has a very similar skirt called Cressida with a button placket.

      https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/207199903/cressida-skirt-ladies-pdf-sewing-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_9

      Delete
  6. Good job. Stocking up the tshirt pile is so lovely and quick! What's the pattern for the red button through skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tops! They look really great tucked into skirts. And speaking of skirts, I also want to know what the pattern for that amazing red skirt is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just put the details about my skirt in the reply to the comment above. When I was writting this post yesterday, I liked the photo of the red skirt so much that I wore it today!

      Delete
  8. You have been busy! They all look great. I've got the Agnes top ready to sew so I'll be joining you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your Agnes top!

      Delete
  9. You clever clogs, mastering sewing stretchy fabric. The tops all look great and I think the zig-zag on the Agnes top looks as though it's a design feature :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, design feature is a good name for it!!

      Delete
  10. Must be really satisfying to whip up such practical tops. The Agnes looks great. I'm still frightened of my overlocker - a summer project perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't fear the overlocker!! Practise with it on some scraps, and you'll be overlocking away in no time. I suggest keeping the blade down unless you want to use it though. I learnt that one the hard way...

      Delete
  11. Oh I'm so pleased you're whizzing up the knits now! They're just soooooo much fun and a great inbetweener project from detailed dresses etc! Well done you! And love all these colours on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! "Don't fear the knits" is my new mantra! They definately are a great inbetween make, and I am planning to make another one (or two) between some dresses.

      Delete
  12. It must feel great to have made so many staples in such a short space of time. They all look great and I love the differing details you added.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.