My old, irrational, fear of knit fabrics has been well and truly banished as I have been sewing so many jersey tops lately, that my sewing room has turned into a one-person production line! Oh knit fabric, how I love that you are so forgiving in fitting!
My first top was this stripey long-sleeve version of Jennifer Lauren Vintage Bronte Top. I bought this pattern when it was on sale before Christmas, and the fabric is a jersey/viscose mix from Craftswoman Fabrics in Carrickfergus.
This was so easy to make! The instructions were a breeze to follow, and I used the lightning bolt stitch on my machine as suggested. I machine-stitched (instead of hand-stitching) the overlap down at the front of the shoulders by sewing on top of the neckband top-stitching.
I loved it so much that I decided I needed many more, so ordered some black double knit fabric - I think it was from The Village Haberdashery. The double knit turned out to be thicker than I expected, but that meant I could make some for the winter!
The colour is quite grey in this photo, but it was very sunny when I took it. I sewed some buttons onto the shoulder overlap, but didn't have enough for both tops. Also, please take a moment to admire the lovely fence that my tops are hanging on! I gave up a Saturday afternoon of sewing to help Andrew put that fence up. Not to mention the ages that it took to cut down the climbing honeysuckle that was there before. It had to go because the trellis it was on broke in a winter storm. Then I got the fantastic job of sitting on top of the oil tank with a paint roller to paint the bit of fence behind it! But I digress...
More fabric was ordered; this time some jersey/viscose mix from My Fabrics, and two short-sleeve versions were made.
I have two RTW tops similar to these that get worn a lot with my skirts, so it's great to be able to make some more myself.
I had planned to make another Bronte with some red and white stripey jersey/viscose that I also bought from My Fabrics, but then Tilly released the Agnes Top, so I made it instead.
I made the version with out the gathered front, and with the gathered sleeves. I love these sleeves so much! I hadn't sewn anything like this before, so it was a bit of trial and error to get the elastic right. I used my walking foot when sewing all my tops, but changed back to the normal presser foot for the sleeve elastic so that I could get a grip of the top of the sleeve head. I got there in the end though.
The one thing that I'm not happy with (I'm being really picky, and it was my own fault) is the topstitching on the neckband. I couldn't get my twin needle to work properly, and a line of straight stitches just looked like puckering, so I used a zig zag stitch. It looks fine, but it's too far away from the neckband because I forgot to trim the seam allowance!
I'll know for next time though because I've already got some fabric to make more!
Tomorrow is my last day at my pattern drafting class (sob!), and I spent all of yesterday and this morning drafting and sewing different types of collar. I see a lot of collars in my future!
Have a great week!