Sunday, 24 May 2015

Anna-Lou the second, and Featherweight the second

This is my latest Tilly And The Buttons Lilou mash-up that I mentioned in my last post.  You'll be pleased to know that I think I've got Lilou out of my system for the time being, as I'm not planning any more - at the minute!  This one is my second mash-up of the Lilou skirt and By Hand London's Anna bodice - the first one is here.  
 
 
To be honest, I'm not really in love with this, but it's because of the fabric.  It's from the By Hand London Kickstarter to fund printing fabric, but the fabric is quite crispy.  I washed it when I got it; then, once the dress was finished, I soaked it in fabric softner and washed it again.  It helped a bit, so hopefully it will soften more after a few washes.


It's a lovely dress though, and went together without a hitch.  I cut it all out on a single layer, and am delighted with the print matching on the back.  And what's not to love about all the bright colours?!  I think I'll take it in a bit more at the waist though.


And talking of lovely things - want to see what I got on Friday?  Of course you do!



It's Singer Featherweight 221K.  Long term readers may remember my post about my other Featherweight.  That one belonged to my Dad's Mum; this one belonged to my Mum's Mum.  It turned up in my Great Aunt's house, and we didn't even know that she still had it until recently.  My Mum kept it to show it to me, and was then going to throw it out because the light is broken, and she thought that I wouldn't want it cluttering up my house.  How wrong was she!!!  

A bit of googling tells me that it is a 221K4, and it's from 1952.  The light is broken (I'd already unscrewed it when I took the photo above), and there are some exposed wires in the foot pedal; but I threw caution to the wind, plugged it in, and it worked (and didn't fuse the whole house)!  Andrew is going to re-wire it for me, so hopefully it will be working properly soon. Below is a little video of it in action that I posted on Instagram, you can see the light fitting hanging down at the front.  This caused quite a bit of excitement from my family!

A video posted by Lynne (@ozzyblackbeard) on


I am absolutely thrilled with it, and am very lucky to own two lovely Featherweights.  

Tomorrow is a bank holiday here in the UK, so I am off work.  Hurray!  I have sewing plans, but the spirit (and weather) have been moving me to tidy up the garden over the weekend, so I might do a bit more of that.

Have a great day whatever you're up to.

Lynne

31 comments:

  1. Featherweights are great! I've only just upgraded to a modern machine after 2 years of learning to sew on a 221K. Very pleased to now be able to do zig-zag stitches, but there's no way I'm parting with the Singer!

    Just bought Love at First Stitch this week and Lilou is top of my must try list. Really love all your different hacks, can't wait to start experimenting with it! Fabulous fabric too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't Featherweights brilliant?! As much as I love my modern machine with all it's snazzy features, it's definately not as sturdy as an old metal machine. I can't imagine that my modern machine will still be working in 60 years time! Hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress. I've just used my fabric and had a couple of issues with it, sadly. I was admiring your featherweight in Instagram. I would love to own one some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's interesting to know that I'm not the only person who had problems with this fabric. You should definately get a Featherweight, you'd love it. Put it on your Christmas list! ;)

      Delete
  3. Such a happy fabric - makes me smile. And I know the Singer has found a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is a happy fabric, and I'm pretty delighted that the Singer found me!

      Delete
  4. The dress is lovely - fabric is stunning. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dress. The fabric is just gorgeous and the crispness seems to suit the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The crispness definately helps with the shape of the skirt.

      Delete
  6. Ooo! Lovely dress! The colors are great and makes it so cheerful :) I know what you mean about crisp fabric, sometimes it looks great on photos but it can feel like wearing a cardboard box :D I bet it will soften with time, and wear. Congrats with your new machine, she's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love the colours, and I laughed at feeling like wearing a cardboard box!

      Delete
  7. I love Featherweights! I have one from 1946.

    Your dress is gorgeous and I adore the fabric. So very, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such a cheery fabric print; and now I want to know more about your Featherweight!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful dress! It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress looks great - I'm sure the fabric should soften up a bit more like you said. And what a great discovery your Featherweight was - hope the rewiring goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully the fabric will soften after a few washes. Mum and I were delighted when the Featherweight turned up, as we had no idea that Mum's aunt still had it.

      Delete
  10. Lovely dress! I am full of admiration for your pattern matching across the back! Also your Featherweight is gorgeous. My dad has an old Singer of my Grandma's in the loft, I don't have room for it here but might give it a whirl next time I'm up at his house! Hope the re-wiring goes well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty pleased with how the print matching turned out on the back. Cutting on the single layer definately helped. I hope you get first dibs on your Singer if you ever have space for it!

      Delete
  11. Love the fabric and shape of this dress... Maybe it'll soften up with loads of summer wears? GREAT JOB on all the pattern matching... you could spin around and I'd not see the seams anywhere! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lol!! I really did astonish myself with the print matching. I love it when that happens!

      Delete
  12. This is so lovely, I hope the fabric softens up for you! I'm sure it will, good luck with the sewing machine, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I already cleaned the machine, and new bulbs have been bought, so hopefully it will be working soon.

      Delete
  13. Nice dress! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That fabric is just beautiful! I am going to see if I can find it online, it would make a fabulous project bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sadly, I don't think the fabric is for sale any more.

      Delete
  15. Such a cute dress! And the print looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.