Sunday, 15 February 2015

The Thurlows of meh

I had been wanting to make a pair of denim Thurlows for a while after seeing some lovely versions on the blogs, but I'm not in love with mine.  It turned out that I wanted denim jeans, not denim Thurlows - but you win some, you lose some.

 
 

Let's talk about the good bits first.  I love the fly zip.  I got the metal zip on ebay, and am delighted with how well it turned out.





I also love the welt pockets, and lengthened the insides of the pockets as I did on my first pair.




I am much happier with the belt loops, as I shortened them a bit;


and the fit at the waist is perfect.


The fabric was easy to work with, it's the denim from Craftswoman Fabrics in Carrickfergus that I mentioned a few weeks' ago.  The facing and pockets are leftovers from this Anna dress.  Sewing them was easy too, again I followed the sewalong by Lauren at Lladybird

Now for the bad bits.  As mentioned above - they aren't jeans.  I love my jeans, I have two pairs that fit beautifully.  They are from New Look (the shop - nothing to do with the patterns), but they have seen better days.  Naturally, when I looked on the New Look website, they don't have them anymore; so I have done the sensible thing and bought Kenneth D King's Craftsy class called Jean-ius which teaches you how to reverse engineer a pair of well fitting jeans.  So far I have only watched it, but it's great (and Kenneth is a hoot!).  What I need to do is source some denim fabric that is suitable for jeans, and available in the UK.  If anybody knows where I can get some, please let me know, as the denim I used for these trousers is a bit lighter weight than jeans denim. 

I started these during the Christmas holidays, then fell out of love with them, and finished them in the middle of January.  The problem with them is that there is too much fabric around the top of the legs.  I had to take them in at the hips twice, and they are baggy under the bum - although, when I looked at these photos, it's not as bad as I thought it was.

 

In fairness, I had to take in my first pair at the hips too, and I even remembered to make the changes on the pattern.  But the first pair are a lot lighter weight fabric, so they seem like wide leg trousers and the bagginess doesn't show; also this denim has a little bit of stretch to it.  Anyway, they aren't a complete disaster, and are comfy, so I will wear them.  It just goes to show how the same pattern can be so different with different fabrics!

Have a great week,

Lynne 

18 comments:

  1. I made some Thurlows too and I just didn't love them either. Yours look great! And you certainly did a beautiful job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only person that this has happened to!

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed with your welted pockets, especially after seeing how people fared with them on the Sewing Bee this week. Love the details like the contrast fabric. Hope you get lots of wear out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those welt pockets on The Bee were scary, I actually dreamt about them!

      Delete
  3. Impressed that you show the rear shot - I couldn't face posting my derriere in my me-made trousers! Btw I've bought some decent looking denim to make some trousers for my son from Leon's in Manchester, but don't think they do online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the tip about Leon's, I found their online shop and went down a rabbit hole! There are some lovely fabrics, I couldn't find denim and there wasn't a search box, but I'll save the site and have a better look. Here's a link http://www.fabricsandmaterialsonline.co.uk/online-shop/4585370337

      Delete
  4. I had a similar problem with the Thurlows - wanting them to be something they just aren't! These pants do look pretty good, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it frustrating when the idea in your head doesn't turn out how you want?

      Delete
  5. Well I know you might not be totally happy with these trousers, but they do look pretty amazing in the photos. Really impressed with your fly zip and gorgeous welt pockets (I haven't even attempted those yet!).
    As for suitable fabric, I know The Village Haberdashery stock a Japanese denim that sound lovely, but I can't tell you what the fabric actually feels like unfortunately:
    http://www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/sewing-patchwork/fabric/japanese-selvedge-denim-black
    (might also be a bit dark for what you want?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am delighted with the zip and pockets. Thanks for the link to the fabric, I just had a look at it, and it looks like the right stuff. I've already pinned it!

      Delete
  6. I've made three pairs of Thurlows in the past but like you, I also want jeans. I have the fabric waiting and I'll make the Angela Wolf Bootcut jeans.

    I understand your feelings about this trousers, but they look very good on you. I hope your future jeans turn out nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your demin Thurlows were one of my inspiration pairs. Good luck with you jeans, I'll look forward t seeing them.

      Delete
  7. Ooooh that's interesting, I've been meaning to dive into trouser making with the Thurlow pattern so it's good to hear your take on it. Think I'll start with some lightweight cotton. They do look good on you, and the welt pockets and fly look fantastic, so I hope you still think all is not lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the thing with the Thurlows is that they are drafted for pear-shaped figures (as all Sewaholic patterns are), and I am not the right shape for them! Good luck with your trousers, I can definately recommend the sewalong on Lauren's blog, and also to practice the welt pockets on scrap fabric first.

      Delete
  8. I think that's the first time I've seen you in trousers! Looking good. I only ever make my jeans from Jeanius and I've more than recouped the original cost. It's a bit of effort at the beginning but once you get your pattern perfect you'll be whipping out jeans by the bucket load. Lynne, try MyFabrics for a great range of denim. From Germany so no import tax and lots of colours too - https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/denim-fabrics.html?page=1&step=100
    BTW - your welts are exemplary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have only ever made one pair of trousers before, and they were Thurlows too. Oh, I've also made jammy bottoms, but as they don't get worn out of the house, they don't count! I didn't realise that your jeans were made from Jean-ius, it was worth buying just for Kenneth, I can't get over how great he is! And great minds clearly think alike, because I was looking at denim on My Fabrics at lunchtime. I've bought from them twice, and was not disappointed; their fabric is lovely. What type of denim did you buy please? I was thinking that the Pure Denim looked good. There is some other fabric that I want from them, so I can order a sample of the denim too.

      Delete
  9. It's interesting to see how an idea translates when you make something. You're right though, these are definitely denim trousers and it would take quite a few pattern changes to 'jean-ify' them. I prefer a darker denims personally. Nonetheless, these are a very wearable pair of denim trousers. I look forward to reading about your jeans journey. Good luck with your hunt for denim fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.