Monday, 1 December 2014

Suzie's Apron



 


I'd been meaning to make an apron for a while now, because the apron I have is truly a sight to behold - for all the wrong reasons!  But I hadn't found a pattern I liked until local sewist Suzie posted this tutorial a couple of weeks ago, and it was exactly what I was looking for.



I had planned to make an apron with the fabric I used for my Margot pyjama bottoms, but as I had already used it, I hit the scraps bag and came up with some red and white polka dot fabric left over from my maxi Anna, and also some red flowery fabric from my circle skirt Anna

 


Suzie's tutorial is really easy to follow.  The only changes I made were to shorten the bodice and neck strap, and to add a pocket.  The pocket on my old apron was the reason I liked it so much. I don't use an apron when cooking (because I am a rubbish cook), but to protect my clothes when doing the washing up, and taking out the rubbish.  Oh, and sometimes when eating, because I am extremely good at spilling things down my front.  The pocket is very handy for the garage key, and items for the recycling boxes.  I just measured the pocket on my old apron, added a seam allowance, and cut one for the new apron.  

An oven you say?  What's that for?
Here's my old apron in all it's glory.  This photo doesn't do justice to it's general tattiness.  My mum gave it to me, and it was from the pound shop.  It's fine for this time of year, but I do feel like a bit of a lemon when I go outside to put something in the bin in the middle of the summer!

In other news, after a lot more work than I ever anticipated, my sewing room finally got finished yesterday.  And I love it!  I will bore everybody stupid about it in another post, but I want to wait to next weekend to take some photos in the daylight.  Zippy loves it though.

 

Lynne

14 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! LOVE IT!!!!! I am so chuffed you made one of these aprons Lynne, and I just love the fabric that you chose. The pocket is great, and to be honest, I toyed with the idea of adding a pocket to mine, but ended up leaving it off because I didn't want to break up the fabric. But it's perfect on your fabric choice.
    And oh my goodness, I'm excited to see your sewing room!! I think I can spy those wheely turquoise shelves (no idea what you call it) from Ikea - a sewing room classic. I actually got one for my birthday from my hubby this year! lol.
    That last pic with Zippy really brought a smile to my face, I loved him back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! And thank you taking the time to do the tutorial. Well spotted! It is indeed the wheely thing from Ikea. I think they might just call it a trolley, I'm not sure. And what's not to love about Zippy?! I always loved how he was never afraid to express his opinion!

      Delete
  2. Love your apron, but I do have a soft spot for the pocket on your old one.You have got to give it a new lease of life!! Looking forward to having a nose around your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't that wee santa cute? Even un-christmasy me likes him. I haven't had the heart to throw the old apron out, and it is still hanging on the hook behind the new one. That's a good idea to re-use the old pocket, I'll have to have a think about what to do with it.

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful apron. I like the color and print. It's almost as glamorous a vintage dress. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your sewing room. I've just organized mine too and it feels good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought it turned out a bit vintage too!

      Delete
  4. This is a great apron! I love both the red polka dot fabric and the floral one. I have to add an apron to my sewing list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the fabrics went together well, and it was really easy to make.

      Delete
  5. Very cute apron. And made of scraps. Double win!
    I really wear an apron always. I'm so messy and love to spill thing on my self.
    I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your sewing space. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A project from the scrap bag is always a winner!

      Delete
  6. I love this apron! It's so cute! The fabrics you used are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the fabrics looked nice together.

      Delete
  7. Lynne - love the apron, it is brill! Can't wait to see pics of your sewing room. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.