Friday, 26 December 2014

Megan Dress

This is the Megan dress from Tilly's book, Love At First Stitch.  


My fabric is some random knit fabric that came from the sale rail outside Sew N Sew in Belfast.  I think the pattern calls for a woven fabric, but my fabric is a knit.  It doesn't have much stretch at all, so I thought I'd give it a go.  At £5 for 2 metres, it was a total bargain, so I wasn't too worried about wasting the fabric if it was a disaster.  The fabric turned out to be terribly off grain, but as it has a herringbone design, I pinned down the centre of the one the V shapes, and used that as my centre front.

I drafted the bodice using my sloper from the Craftsy bodice sloper class, and used the skirt from the pattern.  I just had to fiddle about with the skirt darts to make them line up with the darts on the bodice.  The sleeves are drafted from the Craftsy sleeves sloper class.  These short sleeves fit perfectly, but I need to do a bit more work on my longer sleeves as they are tight at the top.

 
I drafted the Peter Pan collar using the method in Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing.  I copied the shape of the collar from the collar of a top my sister was wearing recently, but I think I will make the V shape a bit wider.  Because my fabric is slightly stretchy, I used black cotton poplin for the under collar; but when I attached the collar it refused to lie flat, so I ended up hand-stitching it down.

I would have had this finished in the middle of last week if it hadn't taken a whole week for the zips that I ordered on ebay to arrive.  Naturally, I had every type of zip except the one I wanted in my zip tin.  So I sucked it up, and got the bus into town on Saturday morning to buy a zip.  I was home about half an hour when the postman delivered zips that I'd ordered...

When I was in The Spinning Wheel buying the zip, I also bought a new stitch ripper to replace one that I lost months ago.  I thought it had fallen into the pile of stuff under my machine table, but I didn't find it when I moved everything up into the attic a few weeks ago, so I decided it must  have been lost forever down the side of the sofa.  Aaand I found it on Saturday night in a bag that I keep nail polishes in!

But if I hadn't gone to The Spinning Wheel, then I wouldn't have got 2 metres of this lovely wool mix suiting from the sale table for £5.99 per metre.  There's always a bright side!



This would also have been blogged sooner had I got the photos taken at the weekend, but the remote control on my camera threw a wobbly, then the camera battery died!  Then there were two nightmare days in work on Monday and Tuesday when some of the mains electric failed, and no computers were working.  This was my problem because I work in the building admin office.  It was all very sigh inducing as it was one disaster after another when the generator then wouldn't work; but it's all fixed, and all the electricians who helped us were every bit as kind as crafters.

Naturally I asked Santa for some crafting goodies, and he didn't disappoint.  Unfortunately I forgot to ask for a drafting book that I wanted, but that's what Christmas money is for!

Anyway, I pleased with how my dress turned out, and even more pleased with my drafting!  I've spent most of today drafting another dress, and whilst drafting is time consuming, it's very satisfying.  Tomorrow I will cut it out, but now I'm off to light the fire and do some knitting.   I hope everybody had a lovely Christmas, and that Santa was good to you.

Lynne

20 comments:

  1. Cute, I love the asymetrical collar! I can't wait to see your 1940s tea dress, its such a cool pattern. Commiserations about your camera, mine has been throwing tantrums lately too, such a hassle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think some of the problem with my camera was the light levels, but unfortunately I don't know much more about such things!

      Delete
  2. That's a very classy dress! Well done on your drafting- it looks perfect. That's going to to be my goal for 2015 as I got a drafting book from Santa! I may be calling on you for help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What book did you get? I want Metric Pattern Cutting. Good luck with the drafting, and I don't know how much help I'd be, but ask any time!

      Delete
  3. I asked Santa (aka boyfriend) for that same Deer and Doe pattern! I muslined it last night and it's so fab. The bust gathers are so flattering. I'm 5' 8" and it's a bit short on me but that's easy enough to fix! Happy Sewing ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't Deer And Doe patterns great?! I love them because they are the only patterns that fit me out of the envelope. You haven't wasted any time on your dress! I am still trying to decide whether to make Sureau or Colette Peony with my shirting. Good luck with your dress.

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely dress. I have just got a desk in the craft room so I can sew and not have to pack it away each day to keep it out of Flo's paws!! Happy New Year to you and the Mister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yey to a new desk. It's great not to always have to pack everything away all the time. Happy new year!

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely dress. And suits you beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely and flattering. I have the sew over it pattern next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your dress. I'm not going to make mine for a while because the fabric I want to use is quite light weight.

      Delete
  7. 'Sigh inducing' love that phrase! Lovely dress and I can't wait to see the Tea Dress made up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lol! It was also swear inducing too, because it involved a lot of running about outside, and naturally it was pouring with rain. These things never happen on a sunny day!

      Delete
  8. Great dress. The fit is fabulous! Looks like you did well in the Christmas present department :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very pleased with the fit.

      Delete
  9. Nothing like drafting the bodice oneself to get a perfect fit. Working with off-grain fabrics can be frustrating but I like your result. It's a very classy dress that will be very wearable.

    I'm also having issues with deliveries these days. Hopefully everything will be normal again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.