Sunday, 19 October 2014

Cute-ness overload!

Remember the quilt I made for Friend who is pregnant?  Well, I made these wee cardigans too.
I can't get over just how cute they are!  The pattern for the green one is called Baby Kina (Ravelry link), and it can be made with short or long sleeves.  The sizes are for 3, 6, 12 and 18 months; I think I made the 3 months size.  The green colour is very washed out in these photos, and is much brighter in real life.

 

I love the neckline on this, it's made by increasing into the front and back of one stitch to create the ripple effect across the row.  I think it gives a look a bit like pleats, which reminds me a bit of my Manu cardigan.


The pattern for the lilac cardigan is called Puerperium Cardigan (Ravelry link), which is a free pattern, and again can be made with short or long sleeves.  The size on it is for newborns, but there is another version with larger sizes.


I made both cardigans with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino.  The green cardigan used three skeins, and the lilac cardgian used two.


I'm also going to attempt to knit a blanket using the double knitting technique.  I first came across this technique on Kate Davies' blog on the Funchal Moebius cowl.  You can see in the photo below how the colours are reversed on one side of the cowl.  It's all cleverly knitted in one piece on two needles.  I think it's very interesting, and would love to give it a go.

Source
Friend and I had a great idea for a blanket with a Harry Potter theme, as we are both total Potterheads - in fact she was the one who put me onto the Harry Potter books.  I found this chart of the Hogwarts crest on Ravelry, and thought it would look really well in Gryffindor colours (red and yellow).  Friend would like Slytherin colours (green and silver) but I think that's bad karma!  I just need to learn how to do double knitting first, so if anybody knows of any good websites/youtube videos etc, I'd be very grateful.


And finally, I've been plugging away at the little hats for The Big Knit.  I try and make one hat a week, but have got terribly behind, and there has been some last minute panic knitting recently.  Thankfully this year's date to have the hats in for is 12th December, so I should be able to make 52 hats by then.  Here's what I've made so far:


Have a great week, and please let me know if you have great tips or advice on double knitting.  Thank you!

Lynne

10 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I love knitting for babies as the garments come together so quickly and there's no time to get bored. I'm intrigued by that double knitted blanket, keep us updated if you give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I so agree about baby things being quick to make!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've really been knitting! I love little baby things, but having no children in my life means I get pretty nervous about sizing. I usually make hats and they seem too big and too small at the same time! Good luck on the double-knit technique, I tried to read about it in a vintage knitting guide five years ago and gave up. That doesn't mean it's hard though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping that they are too big, so the baby will grow into them at some point! I've glanced at double knitting videos on youtube, but there are so many that it's had to know where to start.

      Delete
  3. Those baby knits are supercute! Thanks for the reminder about the Big Knit. I usually make a few hats so I had better get my needles moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still knitting more, and managed to do a couple tonight.

      Delete
  4. Wow Lynne, the baby jumpers are so cute! How long did it take you to knit one? And I'm amazed by the number of little hats you have knitted already. I can't believe you are behind ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cardigans don't take that long, probably about few hours. You could definately make them over 2 or 3 evenings, and the sleeves are ridiciously quick to knit!

      Delete
  5. Oh boy! This post certainly delivered what was promised in the title. It's all just too cute.
    Good luck with The Big Knit goal!
    About double knitting, I've only ever done it once and it was to knit the swatch from this video on KnittingHelp.com -> http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/double-knitting
    Although, that scarf has got me thinking.... perhaps if I start now I'll be done by winter next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the link, I definitely have a look at it.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.