Saturday, 30 August 2014

Russian Dolly Dress

After the surprising success of my first circle skirt dress, I made another one! This time I used my modifed Butterick B5603 bodice.


Oh, and new glasses!!  I would have loads of glasses if it weren't for my stupidly poor eye sight, and therefore stupidly expensive prescription.  Grrr... 

 

Yes, this fabric does have Russian dolls on it, so naturally it was calling my name from across the shop.   The shop in question is Sew N Sew in Belfast, the fabric is cotton poplin and was £5.99 per metre.  I bought 3 metres, but used about 2 because it's 60 inches wide.

 

I tried to match the fabric at the bodice seams, but didn't do a great job.  It's not too bad on the front, but rubbish on the back, I can live with it though.



I did another lapped zip on the back, and am delighted with it.  Again I used this tutorial from Lauren at Lladybird.  I also used my new narrow zipper foot which I mentioned ordering in this post.  It fits my Elna 520 perfectly and is a million times easier to use than the wide zipper foot. This was the first time I used this foot, and it was so easy that I did most of it while I was waiting for my hair dye to develop.

The skirt was cut with the dolls being horizontal at the centre front and back because it was the only way the pattern would fit onto the fabric.  I also added some pockets to the side seams. 


Again I used the By Hand London tutorial for heming a circle skirt, and it worked perfectly.


I love this dress.  It's a bit ridiculous, but the Russian dolls are so bright and cheery and make me smile, and it's that what it's all about!

Have a great week,

Lynne

20 comments:

  1. I love how you cut the fabric in different directions for the bodice and the skirt! I think the fabric would make a lovely print for a project bag too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A project bag is a great idea, and I definitely have enough fabric left over.

      Delete
  2. You look great, what a fab dress! This is such a lovely print and very wearable, another beautiful make Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is very wearable, and has already had one outing.

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! What a fun print!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those wee dollies were pretty hard to resist!

      Delete
  4. I love this dress - the print almost looks abstract from a distance then you realise it is Russian dolls as you get closer!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like that about the print too, it makes you do a double-take.

      Delete
  5. Lynne, this is dress is so much fun! You have got that bodice fitting you perfectly and circle skirts really suit you. Oh, as do your new glasses, they are fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm delighted (and slightly amazed) at how well the bodice fits, especially after I hacked the pattern so much.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love this! I made a dress with a circle skirt from this fabric a couple of years ago and loved it so much - especially the way the orientation of the dolls changed around the skirt. It's sadly too big now and I gave it to a friend last winter - but seeing this makes me think I should buy more of the fabric and make another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Why doesn't it surprise me that you've used this fabric too?! You definitely need another dress made from this!

      Delete
  7. I'm not at all surprised to hear this dress makes you smile - it is fabulous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm all for something that is a bit of fun!

      Delete
  8. Love it! I need to get on this circle skirt thing - it always looks great on everyone. Also, I've just come back from Budapest where the streets are awash with nesting dolls and I've become a bit obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Circle skirts are definitely for the win, and so easy to sew. I bet Budapest was lovely, hope you brought some dolls home!

      Delete
  9. Ooo so nice! I really love the way a circle skirt drapes and how the pattern curves so nicely as the skirt falls. Top banana :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how the circle skirt sits!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about the dollies?!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.