Monday, 9 June 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel #3 - Jorna Tank Dress

Recently I was very excited to be contacted by the lovely folks at Perfect Pattern Parcel to see if I would be interested in taking part in the blog tour for Perfect Pattern Parcel #3.  Naturally I said, "yes please!"

Pattern Parcel #3

If you haven't heard of Perfect Pattern Parcel, here's what they are about:

"Here at Perfect Pattern Parcel, we believe in supporting independent pattern designers.  It's our opinion that indie patterns are just, well, better than big box patterns, and we're pretty sure our customers thinks so too.  So, we allow customers to show their support in naming their own price for each Parcel.  We also encourage customers to allocate part of their Parcel price to the charity Donorschoose.org in order to help classrooms in need.  Pattern Parcel donates all profits after expenses from Parcel sales to the charity as well.  Together we've raised almost $4,500 towards eliminating educational inequality."

Pattern Parcel #3 includes these patterns:

Poppy Tunic by Make It Perfect
Water Bottle Tote by Radiant Home Studio
Jorna Tank Dress by Jenna Brand
Staple Dress by April Rhodes
Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files

And if that's not enough, there's a bonus pattern:

"Choose a price of $28 or greater for Parcel #3 and you will automatically also be sent the Bonus Pattern!  The Bonus Pattern for this Parcel is Prefontaine Shorts for Women by Made with Moxie.  This shorts pattern has a retro trim, loads of pockets and two inseams.  Includes sizes 0 - 24.  Exclusive lauch on Pattern Parcel."

In my on-going efforts to conquer my fear of knit fabrics, I picked the Jorna Tank dress.  This dress comes in sizes XS- XL, and has three lengths - tank (top length), jumper (above the knee), and dress (below the knee).   

 

I went with the jumper length, but it's knee length on me because I'm quite small.  Based on my measurements, I made a size small.  I made a 3cm sway back adjustment (a standard alteration for me), and it fits perfectly!


This dress has a flared skirt, which is higher at the sides than the front and back.  You can see this in the photo below.

 

It gives a lovely circular shape to the skirt.

 

See what I mean;


 

and it's perfect for twirling!



I think this took me about two and a half hours to make, including cutting it out!  The instructions are fantastic, they are so easy to follow.  The way the bodice lining is attached is absolute genius, and really easy to do.

 

My fabric is Jacquard Jersey from Minerva Crafts, and was £5.99 per metre.  I used about 1.5 metres.
 
Thank you to the folks at Perfect Pattern Parcel for asking me to take part.  Perfect Pattern Parcel #3 is available from 30th May to 13th June, if you would like to buy it, please click on the link below.
Buy Pattern Parcel #3


Have a look at what everyone else is making by clicking on the links below:

Parcel #3 Inspiration Tour Schedule:

Friday, May 30 Sew Busy Lizzy || Pienkel || SeamstressErin

Saturday, May 31 Design By Lindsay || the Brodrick design studio || Cookin' and Craftin'

Sunday, June 1 Diary of a Chainstitcher || a happy stitch || Disaster in a Dress || sew Amy sew

Monday, June 2 Idle Fancy || Casa Crafty || Kadiddlehopper || Dandelion Drift

Tuesday, June 3 Our Family Four || Casa Crafty || Cookin' and Craftin' || a happy stitch

Wednesday, June 4 Lexi Made || The Quirky Peach || Stitched || a happy stitch || Casa Crafty ||

Thursday, June 5 verypurpleperson || Casa Crafty || sew a straight line || Sewbon

Friday, June 6 Shawnta Sews || Mama says sew || a happy stitch || Cookin' and Craftin'

Saturday, June 7 Casa Crafty || sewninestitches || 'So, Zo... What do you know?'

Sunday, June 8 oonaballoona || A Stitching Odyssey || Sew Charleston

Monday, June 9 Sew Sweetness || True Bias || Ozzy Blackbeard

Tuesday, June 10 Welcome to the Mouse House || Sew Caroline || Adventures in Dressmaking

Wednesday, June 11 Peneloping || YoSaMi || sewVery

Thursday, June 12 la inglesita || La Pantigana || Sanae Ishida

Friday, June 13 Seamster Sewing Patterns || Paunnet

12 comments:

  1. Stretchy fabric sounds very scary to me, but it looks like you handled it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Stretch fabric is a bit of a beast. Short-row shaping or grafting a sock toe is easier!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely and such a good colour on you. I prefer your version to the picture in your link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found it difficult to see the shape of the skirt on the pattern photos.

      Delete
  3. This looks like the perfect comfy summer dress! And your fabric choice is great (I didn't know there are jacquard jerseys). I am alsways looking for jersey dress pattern and you have definitevely inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This jacquard fabric wasn't the easiest jersey to work with, and it's a bit thin. Ponti Roma is definately thicker and more stable.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this dress is so cute and pretty. The simple pattern is my favorite style. I also like the flared skirt. lol
    formal maxi dresses australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fabulous dress. It looks fantastic on you.
    The skirt is great and that fabric just works!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.