Sunday, 1 June 2014

New Look 6069

I made this dress a few weeks' ago but am only getting around to blogging about it now - as the gardeners amongst you will notice from the bluebells still flowering in the background of some of my photos!  We had a lovely sunny day here in Belfast yesterday, and I spent the day tidying the garden, including cutting back the bluebells, then I got the barbeque out.  Sadly, there is rain forecast for most of next week.  Anyway, back to the crafting. 


I've had this pattern and fabric for a while now, but it took me some time to put them both together.  My fabric is some gorgeous Rust Floral Cotton Lawn from Textile Express, it's £9.50 per metre.  I bought 3 metres, but used less that 2, so I now have enought left for a top.

The pattern is New Look 6069, and I made view D.  For a New Look pattern, the front of the envelope isn't too bad.

Well, ok, the shiny pink's not great, but the line drawings are good.  Anyway, I liked the 40s style, and thought the cross-over and button bodices were both nice.

 

I love how the bodice looks, but I haven't found the perfect buttons yet for the bodice centre front; although I might not add buttons at all. 

 

I made a few mods, most were standard for me:
  • Removed 3cm from the centre back
  • Lowered back neck by 2.5 inches
  • Pinched 2cm out of the front neckline to stop it gaping.
  • Full bust adjustment, but I didn't write down by how much!  I'm guessing 2cm, because that's about my usual.     
 

The bust is shaped using gathers under the bust, and below the front shoulder.  I eliminated the dart created by the FBA using this tutorial from Alana at Lazy Stitching.  I've used this tutorial a few times now, and it really is wonderful.  A FBA will lower the neckline, so for reasons of modesty, I raised the neckline by 4cm.

Also, you can see in the above photo that there is a pleat in the bottom of the sleeve.  The sleeve heads are quite full, so I might take some of the fullness out on a future version.  
I love the shape of the neckline at the shoulder.
There is a band below the bust (which is incredibly difficult to see on my busy fabric), which finishes above the waist.  The skirt is fitted at the natural waist, and flares out from the hips.



I am extremely pleased with how the V at the front neck turned out as I've had issues with V-necklines in the past.  It helped that this V has a seam, and I'm very happy with how the understitching looks on the facing.  I originally sewed it in one go, but the facing wouldn't sit flat at the V.  So I unpicked it, and stitched down to a few millimetres before the lowest point of the V on each side, and it really did the trick.  The facing sits perfectly.



I seem to like this style of dress, because I have quite a few similar dresses saved on Pinterest.  I put them onto a board, but here are some screen shots.  Click on this link to my Pinterest board, and you can see all the details.



 
I'm very pleased with how this dress turned out, and can see a lot of pattern-hacking potential!  I think would work well as a sleeveless dress too.  


Don't forget to enter my giveaway, all the details are hereHave a great week,

Lynne

32 comments:

  1. I love how your dress turned out; the fabric is gorgeous and the finish is divine. They should use your dress on the front of the pattern it is so much more becoming! The little bag with the dress pattern looks interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! You're too kind! I thought the bag was nice too, and big enough to actually be useful.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely dress! It really has a 40s vibe! The fabric is gorgeous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It reminded me a bit of a dress that you recently made.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! The silhouette is just gorgeous, you could make this over and over and it would never get old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the shape is flattering, and I can see so much potential in changing the shape of the sleeves and bodice.

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful dress and it suits you very well. Thanks for sharing how you sewed the V-neckline, because that's something a struggle with and you tip will be useful for my next V-necked dress. I also really like your fabric - I have the same fabric but with a black background color and white/red flowers. As for the buttons, you would probably need big ones, otherwise they will just vanish in the busy print. That said, I like it without the buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad I could help with the V-neck. I surprised myself with how well it worked. I think I remember you using the black background fabric for your walkaway dress, and it was lovely.

      Delete
  5. That fabric is so pretty, I wonder if it does need buttons or if they might be lost? You'd need something to make an impact if you do go down the button route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've worn it a few times now, and don't feel it's missing anything without the buttons, but agree that big buttons would be the way to go.

      Delete
  6. Love this style of dress, the bodice details are so flattering - I may have to plunder your Pinterest board now! You've done a great job of it, it's beautiful Lynne. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Plunder away at my Pinterest board - in fairness, I think the green and white dress at the bottom was re-pinned from you!

      Delete
  7. I love that style of dress. I really must check out New Look patterns more, I have t confess I generally skip them because they tend to look very boring and dowdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always think that New Look pattern envelopes require using a bit of imagination!

      Delete
  8. LOVELY!!! This style suits you so well, and that fabric is gorgeous. I love how neat your seam binding looks on your facing (and such a lovely touch to use that rather than just turn under and stitch). If you can find the right buttons I think it could looks great. Personally though I don't think I would go for big buttons (but that's a personal preference). Maybe in the same light blue as the dress fabric?
    Oh and that fabric looks great with you hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pleased with how the seam binding turned out. I iron it in half longways before pinning it on, but it's a real faff to do. Re the buttons, I was astonished to find that I didn't have any buttons that went with it as I have two well-stocked button boxes - mine and my Granny's. But I really don't think I'll bother putting buttons on it now.

      Delete
  9. It's gorgeous :) and looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful, Lynne! It is another example of why we should look past the styling on the pattern covers and look at the line drawings. The style really suits you and I love the look without the buttons although I'm particularly taken with the pleat in the sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the pleated sleeves too. They were a bit of a surprise when I started to trace the pattern, because I hadn't noticed them before that.

      Delete
  11. You look great! I left the buttons off mine too. I'd rather have functional buttons! I also cut my front bodice on the fold. Love your fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of cutting the bodice front on the fold, that's a good idea!

      Delete
  12. This is so lovely! Great fit and the perfect fabric! I think I have this pattern too, was not too sure about it but you certainly made me want to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous dress! Plus it perfectly matches your hair. WIN! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really have to stop buying red fabric!

      Delete
  14. Catching up on my reading, love this dress, wouldn't have picked out the pattern, but like your version x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! I have the pattern and am tackling the dress, with a FBA so far, and possibly a sleeve reduction coming as well. I thank you for showing a WAY better version than their pink shiny photo on the envelope not to mention pointing me in the right direction for incorporating the side dart into the gather! Thank you thank you!

    Your dress looks very flattering, and far better than I expected the dress to turn out 'in real life'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I'm glad I could be of help! That pink version on the pattern envelope is a site to behold for all the wrong reasons. I love that tutorial on the FBA, and used it on my By Hand London Anna bodice too. Good luck with your dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.