Saturday, 28 June 2014

Anna and The Featherweight Part 2

I don't know what it is about the By Hand London Maxi Anna and my Singer Featherweight, but they are a perfect match.


For this is what I made this dress with:


My first maxi Anna was made on this too.  Well, I did do the invisible zip on my own machine.

 

There's nothing left to say about Anna that hasn't been said before, except I love this pattern and have two more dresses planned that will have Anna bodices.  I'm going to pinch a little bit out of the front neckline, and shorten the bodice slightly though.


My fabric is three metres of cotton poplin from The Paragon on Donegall Pass in Belfast, and it was £4.88 per metre.  I was able to make this with 3 metres because I took 11 or 12 inches (can't remember off the top of my head) off the length of the skirt as I'm quite small.   I think it goes well with my Manu cardigan.  I took these photos a few weeks' ago, before the good weather started, although it rained most of this week.  I'm a bit behind in blogging my makes, I have one more to go, and I also got my hair cut after these photos were taken.

 

I had this fabric for a while, and couldn't decide what to make with it.  Then I saw this gorgeous maxi Anna by Suzanna from Su Sews So So.  Suzanna challenged me to make it with the split in the skirt, but that wasn't going to happen!


I'm also quite pleased how the red polka dot ribbon that I sewed on the hem perfectly matches the fabric. 
 
 
I don't know what it is about maxi dresses, but I love them.  Maybe it's the swishy-ness.  Is that a word?  It is now!

In other news, this week the lovely Roisin from Dolly Clackett sent me my winning fabric from Sew Dolly ClackettIt's 2.5 metres of African Wax Cotton.  I love these wax cottons, the prints are fantastic, and this one is gorgeous.  The background is blue, and the big circles are red, they look more pink in the photo.  It's going to be another Belladone, and I'm not in the least bit sorry that it will be my fourth version.  Also, it will have an exposed zip, because my eyes nearly fell out when I saw Tabatha from Thread Carefully's gorgeous Belladone.

And in other, other news, I just left my sewing machine in to be serviced this morning.  I've had it for over two years, so I think it kind of needs it! If you think that's bad, I've had my car for over three years, and it hasn't been serviced either.  In my defense, I don't do a lot of miles, but when the oil warning beeps at a person, it tends to panic them a bit.  That happened to me on Monday, so it's getting serviced next week.  That will teach me not to be so remiss about these things!  Needless to say, I am more concerned about losing my sewing machine, but then I do have the Featherweight and my Granny's 1970s Elna as a backup.

A 70s filter for a 70s machine.  The plyers are for changing the foot...

Have a great week,

Lynne

22 comments:

  1. You look so pretty in red! This is a gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have one more piece of red fabric to make into a dress, then there will be no more red fabric for a while. I have to try different colours!

      Delete
  2. The matching ribbon is a nice touch! I'm also into maxis this summer, can't get enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about a maxi dress!

      Delete
  3. Great dress! Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabric and pattern match made in heaven! I don't think you can beat polka dots at times. You look great and the trim matches perfectly. I hope your machine is back soon and you don't miss her too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Polka dots are hard to beat. My machine should be ready in the next few days, which I thought was very quick.

      Delete
  5. Love how well it goes with your Manu. That's on my 'knit' list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Manu is a lovely pattern, I really enjoyed knitting it, and it would look great on you.

      Delete
  6. The dress is gorgeous and I love the matching ribbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely Anna dress! Good luck with the 4th Belladone with exposed zip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to making my Belladone.

      Delete
  8. That's such a lovely dress; the red is just glorious. I love the lines and pleats of the bodice. I'm really tempted by this pattern - I just wish the postage to Australia wasn't so high... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This morning I was reading on the By Hand London blog that Anna is now available as a PDF pattern. Yey for instant sewing gratification!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see that Belladone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning the finer details in my head this morning, but I have to finish what I'm working on first.

      Delete
  10. I'm very excited to see your Belladone with this fabric - it's going to be so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm at the picturing myself wearing it stage, and am hoping to get it started next week.

      Delete
  11. I'm so pleased I've just stumbled across your blog - you're wearing the cardi I keep thinking about sewing and the dress I have my eye on!! Oh and I have a 1969 Elna too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I really love this cardigan, and wore it a lot when I finished it. It's too warm for it at the minute. I didn't realise my Elna was from 1969! I tried to use it last weekend, but sadly the thread tension is playing up, I'll have to see if I can fix it.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.