Monday, 19 May 2014

Oh, knickers...

...or something like that is what I said when this happened at tea time today.

  
This is my Whipoorwill shawl and the Knitpro Interchangeable that broke when I had just finished a row!  Here's what happened - my dinner was in the oven, so I decided to finish off a row (I'm at 300+ stitches in a row at the minute).  I finished the last stitch just as the oven timer beeped, so I pushed my knitting down the needle so the stitches wouldn't fall off, and the flipping cable came out of the needle!  So I ran into the kitchen to turn the oven off, and spent the next ten minutes carefully threading the about 100+ stitches that flew off onto some red yarn.

As I was threading on the last few stitches, Mr BB came home, and we discovered that the dinner (which was still in the oven) was a wee bit crispy/burnt.  So, like any sensible husband of a crafter, he suggested that we went out for our tea.  I'll keep him a bit longer.


These interchangeable needles are great (when they don't break).  The wooden tips are the actual knitting needle bits, and they screw into plastic cables that come in various lengths.  If you look at the silver bits in the photo above, you'll see a join in the middle of the silver, and this is where the end of the tip screws into the end of the cable.  The bottom needle attached to some cable is as it should be, the top needle and detached cable is where the son of a nutcracker broke!!


I'm starting to think that this project is trying to tell me something.  It's been frogged once, when I decided to make it the medium size instead of small because I realised that I had enough purple yarn, and also I didn't like how I'd done my yarn-overs and wanted to use a different method.  Then there were a few rows where I realised that my stitch count was wrong, so I winged it by adding a few random increases to make the count right.  So I now feel that it's telling me that it needs to rest in the knitting bag for a while, and that I should download Andi Satterlund's new Myrna pattern, and buy some yarn to make it.  What do you think?

Lynne

14 comments:

  1. I have those same needles and never had that problem, but I agree it's one of my worst nightmares. If you feel that you had enough of that shawl it's maybe better let it rest for a while and knit something else. Then you can go back to it feeling rested and knowing you'll win this time. Sometimes we need to take a little break and it's just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! It's been put back into it's bag, and I haven't looked at it since, I definately will come back to it though.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a nightmare! I think I would have said something equally ladylike!! Definitely put the shawl in time out and see how you feel about it in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Let's just say that it's as well my mother couldn't hear me!!

      Delete
  3. Oof, I've had that happen a couple of times with my cheap eBay-ed circular needles. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, thinking back, this may have happened to me before with cheapy circulars before I got my Knitpros.

      Delete
  4. Oh no that's awful! Especially because you just wanted to knit quickly a row and then disaster struck. :( I have the same knitting needles and was wondering if they can break at the point where yours broke. I find that the cable always strongly bends when doing magic loop knitting. It seems that I was right to be suspicious. I hope knitting the Myrna will cheer you up a bit - it it such a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it now, I think I am partly to blame! I was pushing the stitches down the needle really quickly because I wanted to turn off the cooker. I should have slowed down, and been more careful!

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I love Knit Pro needles. The only trouble I've ever had with a pair is when I accidentally sat on one and snapped it...I didn't have to re-thread 100 stitches though - I think your response was incredibly restrained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I done the sitting on the Knitpros too - twice!! You'd have thought I would have learnt the first time!

      Delete
  6. Oh NO! That's crappy. I'm weird in that I find circular needles make my hands ache more than straight ones. Granny hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no doubt that straigth needles are definately more stable, but sadly there's no way that all my stitches would have fitted on them.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! This happened to my (still incomplete) Miette! I actually cried!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I don't blame you for crying! I went down the anger road, and that flipping shawl is still sitting untouched in a bag.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.