Sunday, 20 April 2014

The Musical Differences Peony - Sew Dolly Clackett

Happy Easter everybody!  I hope everyone is enjoying the Easter holidays.  Here in Northern Ireland we get Easter Monday and Tuesday off work, so I don't have to go back to work until Wednesday.  The weather has been lovely all last week, and the forecast is looking good, so it's sewing and gardening for me!

 

This is my second Sew Dolly Clackett dress.  I hadn't planned to make more than one, but I was half way through making this when I realised it would fit the bill.

 

The pattern is Colette Peony.  I made this one before Christmas, and had ironed out all the fitting issues, so thought that all I had to do was cut it out and sew it up.  Turned out I was wrong.

I was merrily sewing away, put the zip in and tried it on, and there was a big bulge across the centre of my back.  I didn't think to take a photo of it because I was so cross.  Mr BB calls it The Pendulum Of Crafting, were one minute it's "Look what I made!  I'm a crafting genius!", then the next minute it's "Sweet child of mine, this is biggest, hottest mess in the history of creation!  I couldn't even sew on a button!".

It's not pretty...
 I did do the sensible thing though, and walked away from it for a day; I learnt my lesson on my Pastille dress.  What I really needed to do to fix it was to make a Sway Back Adjustment of 1.5 inches, but I didn't have enough fabric left to cut out two new backs, so I removed a wedge of fabric at the waist at the bodice back.  The photo above shows what I mean.


I'm now wondering if this was caused by this version not having sleeves, because my tartan version does.  I don't know.  Anyway, I didn't want to trim off the extra fabric in case I had to fiddle with it a bit more.  It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would at the back (which says a lot!), but I think the busy print helps.  I've ordered a green belt on ebay, so it should hide the disastrously unmatched seam at the waist. 

 

I'm calling this the Musical Differences Peony because way back when I was a teenager, there was a music magazine called Smash Hits; my sister and I loved it.  It was full of silly phrases, including for when a band split up.  They would say that it was because of "musical differences" instead of that they had all got too big for their boots, and had fallen out with each other.  Anyway, my sister and I always refer to any falling out of any kind as musical differences.

There are lots of things that I like about this dress though!  The rest of it fits beautifully, I drafted an all-in-one facing which I'm very pleased with, and I love the groovy 60s style fabric.

 

It's called Paisley Jungle Green, by Kaffe Fasset, and I got it from Fancy Moon.  It was £13 per metre, and I bought 2.5 metres to allow for matching.

I also like the green polka dot ribbon I used on the hem.  I think it clashes with the print in a good way.


If me and the Peony pattern make friends again (which I hope we do - I don't like fall outs, and I love the skirt on this pattern), I'll maybe try and cobble it together with the back of Simplicity 2444, because it fits me perfectly, with or without sleeves.


Today is it's first outing as I am now off to my Mum and Dad's for some Easter dinner.  Mmm...
 
Have a great week,

Lynne

34 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely dress Lynne. No one will notice the back not being matched unless you point it out. I'm having the same issue with the Peony pattern, ie. I made one last summer and I thought all the changes would work as they are, but now that I've put the dress together it doesn't look right. I've left it in my UFO pile for the time being, but I might give it another go sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad that I'm not the only person to have this issue. Good luck with finishing yours.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I think something magical happens while fitting a pattern. Once you think every fititng issue is solved and everything looks fine in the muslin stage. When you do the real thing there are suddenly new fitting issues :S

    I like your dress! Great fabric! Yay for belts to cover up mis matched seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you're right, there's some sort of evil fairy magic going on!

      Delete
  3. This fabric is fabulous, love the colours on you. And the fit is spot on. Well done for finding a fix for your bulging zip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the colours too. It's sometimes hard to know exactly what the colours will be like when ordering online, but I was really pleased with this when I opened the parcel.

      Delete
  4. I understand how the back seam matching must drive you crazy, but with that print I think it's hardly noticeable from a foot or two away! The fitting really does look pretty good, and the dress is just beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I forgot to mention that I will be wearing with a cardigan, so that should definately do the trick to cover the bad bits! It very rarely gets warm enough here to wear a dress like this by itself, and even if it is warm enough, I need something to cover my arms so they don't get sunburn. Grr to pathetic milky white celtic skin!

      Delete
  5. I've had the same problem with the peony - the alterations I made after the first one have made the second one even worse! Maddening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I've read about so many people having fitting issues with this pattern. I don't understand why it should be so difficult for us, because the pattern is such a simple shape. It's so frustrating, and I can see how a beginner would just give up. I hope you can sort your fitting issues out - good luck!

      Delete
  6. I love that fabric. My sister and I had a lot of those smash hits mixed tapes.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wasn't Smash Hits brill?! I looked forward to buying it every Wednesday. How do I even remember that it came out on a Wednesday?! Good grief!!! :O

      Delete
  7. The Pendulum of Crafting - genius, and a state of being I'm very familiar with! That fabric is absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Doesn't The Pendulum Of Crafting really sum it up?! ;)

      Delete
  8. This looks awesome! Love the paisley print, and you're right, that skirt is a great shape. I don't think the mismatching waist seam should be a worry - no-one will notice. They'll be too busy admiring the dress as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! The fabric is perfect - the colours look fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to buy the Robert Kaufman fabric you have, I couldn't stop thinking about it!

      Delete
  10. I love how you powered through and fixed your dress by adjusting the waist. I don't think anyone would notice the mismatched waist with the print of the fabric but belts are good for hiding things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can be quite belligerent when I want to be!

      Delete
  11. Oh no, I'm all too familiar with the Pendulum of Crafting (love that name, heeheehee!)! Almost every project is an emotional rollercoaster where I fall in and out of love with the project. Sewing isn't for wimps, man! I'm so glad you were able to find a fix for this- it really looks nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! You are so right! Mr BB says living in the same house as a sewist isn't for wimps too!

      Delete
  12. The colours in that print look so great on you with your red hair and are perfect with that style of dress. I think the fit looks awesome so definitely make friends with Peony again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really do want to make friends with Peony again!

      Delete
  13. That's a really good fix! You can't tell at all. Fab and groovy pattern! Really love it. I used to get Smash Hits too, do you remember when they used to say a band had gone 'down the dumper' when they fell out of fashion? Hilarious! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I certainly do remember "down the dumper"! Another fav of me and my sis. I also loved that they called Freddie Mercury "Sir Fredrick of Mercury". He so deserved that!

      Delete
  14. Well it looks pretty darn good to me! Love your fabric choice as per usual!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous dress and you look pretty cute in it! I love all the little details and the hem binding is adorable x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I was really pleased with how the ribbon looked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I'm only commenting on this today - I'm so far behind on my blog reading! Beautiful dress and I think you need to catch yerself on a bit about the "disastrously match waist seam" - there is about 5mm of difference!!!! The Peony shape is really beautiful on you so I do hope you give it another chance :)
    Oh and I think I need to adopt your Mr's saying about the "Pendulum of Crafting" - I am soooooooo like that. My husband always laughs at the amount of cursing, stomping and throwing stuff that goes on in the sewing room, only for me to parade into the living room a few hours later all please with myself for my latest creation! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! I'm still a bit meh about the waistband, I feel that it's mocking me! Isn't The Pendulum of Crafting great? I do the whole hissy fit/this is amazing thing too! Our poor husbands, I bet they never realised what they were taking on!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your blog, I just discovered it today! Can you talk a bit about your self drafted facing? It is so smart,and innovative. It seems like it would lay down much nicer than traditional facings, and I would love to try it. And congrats on your Dolly Clackett win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I usually end up having to re-draft facings because I usually have to lower the back and front neck, and take a bit out of the front neck. To draft them, I trace the shape of the neckline (closing any darts on the back neckline) and armhole, then add about 3 or 4 inches of length to it. For the all in one facing, I trace all around the armhole and neckline in one go, then add the length. I sew the shoulder seams together, but not the armhole seams, then sew it to the neckline and armholes, then I pull the back pieces through (like on a lining) and sew the armhole seams along with the side seams. I'll try and remember to take some photos of this the next time I do it.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.