Saturday, 5 April 2014

Coco The Second

As the title suggests, this is my second version of Tilly's Coco pattern.  I was wearing it today with jeans and a leather jacket when I went into Belfast with my sister and our friend.  The leather jacket was a bit of a mistake because it was an unseasonable 16C today - that is warm for Belfast, and I ended up having to take my coat off!  In my defence, it was pouring with rain when I got up this morning.

 

Anyway, back to the top.  This time I made the top length with the funnel neck collar, 3/4 sleeves and cuffs.


My fabric is Ponte Roma from Plush Addict, it was £9.50 a metre and I bought 1.5 metres.   



I've said it before, but the instructions on this pattern are fantastic, the funnel neck was a breeze to sew.


I made this before Tilly posted her tips on stripe matching, but it I did it the same way.  Would you have a look at how those side seams match!

 

I did a Sway Back Adjustment of 2 cms, but I could probably take a tiny bit more out.  I didn't realise the collar wasn't sitting properly when I took my photos!


This is such an easy make.  This one probably took a bit longer than my first one, but that was because of matching the stripes.  I think I'm a convert to knit fabrics! 

In other news, my old faithful and beloved iron has finally died.  It was a wedding pressie from my Aunty and Uncle, and it was the best iron ever: it breezed through the creases - can you tell I'm one of those sad people who actually like ironing?!  It was nearly on it's way out a few years ago when the cable got frayed, but my Daddy came to the rescue and put a new cable on it.  Lately it had been taking longer to heat up, and finally gave up last weekend. 

I had been looking at new irons for a while, and settled on a Philips InstantCare (my old iron was Philips too).   It's the kind with a separate water reservoir.  I got it on Amazon, as it was about £50 cheaper that anywhere else.



 I used it earlier on, and it breezed through the creases too!  Although I haven't got the hang of the steam generator yet, but I'm sure I'll sort it out.  The only thing is that the water reservoir is big, so it takes up a lot more storage space than a normal iron, which has just inspired me to clear out the Aladdin's cave of rubbish that is the cupboard under the stairs!

Have a great week,

Lynne
 

24 comments:

  1. So, so cute! Love this stripey version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this stripey Coco is right up my street. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think this top would suit most people.

      Delete
  3. I love this, looks very nautical!! Had to scroll back through your blog to find the original Coco. I definitely prefer this one. The neck is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the top version is a bit easier to wear than the dress. It goes with more things.

      Delete
  4. So classic, so stylish - you really have such a fantastic instinct for what suits you...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just tend to pick things that I like, and think I will wear.

      Delete
  5. This is really nice. The more versions I see of Coco, the more convinced I am I have to start making some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is so easy to make - go for it!!

      Delete
  6. You did a wonderful job at matching the stripes. I was observing stripes people were wearing the other day and it was frustrating that people pay for clothes with unmatched stripes. This looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with how the stripes turned out. I agree re stripes on shop bought things, when they don't match up it's really irritating!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I have to get this pattern. The shape is just so flattering! I love that collar too. You did a wonderful job on this, the stripes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with it, and I love the colkar too.

      Delete
  8. Love it! I've literally just finished a stripy breton Coco top too - great minds think like ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great minds indeed!! Isn't it so easy to make?

      Delete
  9. ooooo Nice top. Looks great on you.

    I quite like ironing too!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was ironing this top with my new iron last night!

      Delete
  10. Awesome stripe matching skills!!!!! It looks fab, I like the little opening you've left on the bottom of the side seams. I've got some fabric ready to make a Coco, just need to clear a few WIPs before I start, although everyone keeps talking about how quick it is, so maybe I could sneak one in one evening?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The openings are on the pattern, and this could definitely be made in one night. Good luck with yours.

      Delete
  11. This looks lovely! I love how it looks so chic but in a laid-back, effortless way. Great fabric choice and stripe matching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.