Sunday, 9 March 2014

The two-for-one post


I thought I'd combine both these makes into one post, as I've made other versions of both quite recently.

The first one is the Deer and Doe Airelle blouse (version one is here).

 

I made this with some chiffon type fabric that I bought in The Spinning Wheel in Belfast.  It was £12 per metre, but I got in the sale for £6 per metre.  It's gorgeous; but friends, let me tell you the definition of madness - making a Peter Pan collar from chiffon.  It was a nightmare!  I'm please with how it turned out though.

 

I pre-treated the fabric first using a technique I read about on Sew Buzy Lizzie's blog (which had come from Lena at The Sewing Space).  It involves soaking the fabric in a gelatin solution, which is then washed out once you've finished sewing.  Click on the the links for all the details. 


I found the gelatin trick worked really well, my fabric wasn't like cardboard, but it was definitely easier to cut and sew.  I would recommend using a rotary cutter to cut it though - I wish I had done it!  I dread to think how that collar would have turned out if I hadn't used gelatin!

 

I had a bit of trouble understanding the instructions for the neckband facing - I used bias tape on the first version.  I ended up sewing the two short ends together as in the above photo.  Apologies for the rubbish photo (I took it on my phone) but this worked for me, and I thought it may help someone else.


I underlined the front and back with white cotton lawn, I left the sleeves unlined and sewed a french seam on them.  The only alteration I made from the first version was to make a Full Bust Adjustment of 2cm.


My second make is the Sassy Librarian Blouse from Craftsy.  My first version is here


This fabric was also from The Spinning Wheel, it's called Peachskin, it's 100% polyester and was £7.50 per metre.  It looks quite pink in the photos, but it's more purple in real life.  I love this fabric!  They also had it in red, so I might have to buy it next time I'm in.  I used the gelatin trick on this, and it worked beautifully, and I also cut it with my rotary cutter. 

 

By the way, I didn't make this skirt.  I bought it in TK Maxx years ago, and I would say it's my favourite skirt.  I love it's 70s "Oh, my retinas!!" print; and if it looks a bit creased in the above photo it's because it's linen, and I was wearing it to work the day I took these.


I raised the back of the neckline, after having lowered it on my first one; and I think you can see the pleats and darts more clearly on this plain fabric.  I love my buttons, they were from Sew N Sew in Belfast, and I think they were about 4p each - you can't say fairer than that!


Have a great week!

Lynne

12 comments:

  1. Lovely blouses! And such light airy and difficult to work with fabric too! I have some silk chiffon in the stash that I'm terrified of but think I may try that gelatin tip. I've heard about it before, nice to know it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The gelatin really did work like a charm, and it washes out very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both such pretty blouses! I really love the floral one, naturally :) I am gearing up to embark on my first chiffon experience, and have starch ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with the chiffon!

      Delete
  4. Lovely outfits! I am immediately drawn to your Arielle blouse, because I just love that print! And thanks a lot for posting the link with the gelatin treatment. I just bought some Chiffon and have never sewn with it before! So I am really dreading it to start sewing with it! By the way, I thought I would let you know (just in case that you haven't bought your new iron yet) that I can't iron on fusible interfacing with my new iron. For some reason it is not melting the glue and I have to use my old iron for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the tip about the iron. I still haven't got around to getting a new one! My old faithful iron is still going. I have it 14 years, I wonder is that some sort of record?!

      Delete
  5. Both tops are lovely, you always manage to pick some great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh interesting to hear that you're a fan of the gelatin bath! I couldn't get over how slimy it made my machine. The chiffon blouse turned out brilliantly. And the purple coloured sassy really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I remember reading your thoughts on gelatin on your blog, but I didn't find it slimy. I wonder what made the difference? Maybe a different brand of gelatin, or a different amount. It would be interesting to know!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous Lynne! Well done for tackling the chiffon - it was totally worth it, that blouse is fab!!! I have never heard about the gelatin method before...it sounds rather crazy...but I'm very curious now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't heard of using gelatin until I read it on Lizzy's blog. I would definitely use it again.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.