Monday, 24 February 2014

Coco

Yep, this is Tilly's new pattern, Coco.  I saw it on her blog on Tuesday afternoon, ordered it on my phone, and got it in the post on Wednesday!




Then I ordered 2 metres of Emerald Ponte Roma from Minerva Crafts, it arrived on Saturday, and I made this dress on Sunday.  This fabric is gorgeous!  It's thick (but not too thick!) and is so soft and lovely. 


I  have been procrastinating mightily about knit fabric for ages.  I wanted to make the Lady Skater dress, but was put off by reading about fitting issues.  It was how to fit knit fabrics that put me off, but you know what, it's wasn't as scary as I thought.  It did take me a few hours to make this, but I kept referring back to the brilliant instructions in the pattern booklet, and Sew U Home Stretch.





I'm delighted with how it turned out.  I made the dress version in a size 1 at the shoulders, and size3 from the underarms.  I maybe need a sway back adjustment at the back waist, but I can live with it.







I shortened the 3/4 length sleeves by 4 inches, and added the cuffs, which I LOVE.








The instructions are for sewing this without an overlocker, but I used mine throughout.  After some practise, I used some seam binding ribbon to stabilise the shoulder seams.  I sewed it on as in the instructions, then overlocked the seams.  I practised with some clear elastic, but it didn't work too well.





I love how this has turned out!  It really was easy to make, and I would highly recommend this pattern to anybody else who is afraid of knits. 

By the way, have a look at Roisin's blog, there's a fabulous dress making competition to celebrate her up-coming wedding.  How could I turn that down?! ;)

Lynne






22 comments:

  1. Gosh, you didn't hang around at all! Looks fabulous and that colour is great - you're all sorted for St Paddy's day now then?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right, I hadn't thought of it being perfect for Paddy's day! The only thing that crossed my mind about that was the day off work. Good old St P!!

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! And it's such a great color on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really pleased with the colour when I got it. I predict more Cocos in my future!

      Delete
  3. Loving this!! I am liking what I see of Tilly's pattern. And, this colour is fantastic! I don't think I've seen ponte in a colour quite like that, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the colour on the web site, you know how it sometimes hard to tell on the screen; but I was delighted with it when I got it.

      Delete
  4. I really like this. Looks really comfy to wear and the colour is just perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This really is so comfy, it's like wearing jammies but looking smart!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynne,

    Your Coco is beautiful! Thanks for doing such a great job with the fabric, the colour looks fab on you!

    Vicki (from Minerva Crafts)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this fabric so much! It's gorgeous, comfortable and really easy to work with. I'll definitely be buying more!

      Delete
  6. Wow - you are turning into a speed sewist! That is impressive turn around - and the dress is lovely. It looks super cozy too.
    Thanks for the close-up and info on the seam binding as stabaliser...I wasn't sure how to go about incorporating this while using the overlocker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really wanted to give knits a go, and this was the perfect opportunity. Re the stabilising ribbon, I sewed it on first with a zig zag stitch, but that's all in the instructions.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic dress! It looks so snugly and comfy. Oh those pockets!
    Fantastic speedy make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pleased with how the pockets turned out.

      Delete
  8. It looks great and super comfy! I haven't made any knit dresses yet, I'm kinda scared. I worry they may hang weird on me. I'll give it a go one of these days though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty scared of knits too, but honestly, there's nothing to fear.

      Delete
  9. Talk about hot off the press!! Love the vibrant green, I am impressed with how well you have handled the stretchy knitted fabric. It looks great and I bet you make another one (and another one, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the green too, and there will definitely be more!

      Delete
  10. I love it! The green is a perfect choice for you. I've got the Coco stacked up in my To Sew list...which seems to be growing a bit out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! Coco is such a great shape, and looks so easy and comfortable to wear. The color your chose is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I am going to make mine this weekend in a dark grey ponti from tissu - one of the sites Tilly recommended, great prices amd great speedy delivery to Malta:). I think it looks really good on. Maybe a small swayback adjustment for the next one, if I can figure out how.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.