Saturday, 14 December 2013

Elisalex No 2

You know how you sometimes get a pattern/fabric/yarn and it just tells you what it wants to be made out of, or become?  Well, that's not what happened here. 
 
 
First of all I have to tell you about the fabric.  I can't remember when I bought it, but I would say it was about a year ago.  I was in Dunelm Mill and saw this cotton sateen fabric, I liked the colour, so bought 3 metres.  Now, I appreciate it's curtain fabric, but fabric shops are thin on the ground in Northern Ireland, so I take what I can get!  It was £4.79 a metre, so it wasn't as if it broke the bank or anything, and it's 53" wide. 
 
 
I had planned to make the Colette Patterns Rooibos dress with it.  I got this pattern last Christmas, and still haven't made it.  I had some bias tape that I loved for the piping, but I couldn't find any contrasting fabric that I liked for the little collar detail, and I was afraid this fabric would be too thick to use for that.
 
I am not loving those seams.
 
So anyway it lay in my stash, and after I'd finished my Belladone dress I thought a red Elisalex dress would be nice.  I was having a browse on the online fabric shops, and then remembered about this cotton sateen.  And you know what, I am so glad I didn't make the Rooibos with it.
 
 
It's not that I hate this dress, it's just that it's ok, and it's all down to the fabric.  This pattern requires a fabric with a bit of body to it, which this fabric just doesn't have.  It may be a bit thicker than cotton poplin, but it's quite drapey.
 
 
I ended up underlining the skirt with some white polyester from The Paragon in Donegall Pass in Belfast.  It's the same thing I used to underline my Flounce-a-lotte skirt.  It definitely helped give the Elizalex skirt some shape.  I had made the bodice lining in cotton lawn, but then made another lining with the polyester.  At least I now have a bodice lining ready to go for the next one.
 
 
The sateen puckered easily when I was sewing it, and the underlining didn't help.  With hindsight I maybe should have used a longer stitch length, because I'm not in love with the seams on the skirt or bodice.  Also, the polyester bodice lining makes the bodice seams a bit bulky.  But, as I say, I really don't hate it.  The fit is great, and I fixed the issue I had with the too wide shoulders on my first one.  It's just that it's not my finest work, but I have been wearing it, and it's great with a cardigan and tights.
 
 
These spotty tights were from a department store called Menary's, but I can't remember what the brand was.  I got them in the sales after last Christmas, and they lay in a drawer until a few weeks ago.  There are some similar ones on the Pamela Mann website here, and I bought myself these playing card tights because I couldn't resist them.  
 
 

 
Finally, I have a big favour to ask!  Remember my cousin Jenny who I mentioned in this post?  She makes bridal head pieces and capes; the link to her Etsy shop, For Evelyn Designs, is on the right.  Well, she's been nominated for the Shell Livewire Grand ideas awards.  I would be really, really grateful if you could take a minute to vote for her.  To vote, please click on this link.  Jenny's video is second from the left on the second row; she has short blond hair and is wearing a navy blouse.  Thank you!!
 
Lynne
 

10 comments:

  1. I like it, but then I am biased because I love this pattern. If you are wearing it, even with a cardi, then it counts as a win in my book. I am looking forward to seeing your Rooibos though. It was one of the first dresses I made and even though I can see the mistakes it is still one of my most worn dresses. And just off to check out your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your thoughts on what counts as a win!! I will definitely make Rooibos at some point, I just need to find the perfect fabric first.

      Delete
  2. I like this dress! Red is such a good color for you. And I agree, wearing it with a cardigan still makes it a good dress! I just got the Elisalex pattern and am intimidated by fabric choice already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your Elisalex. I think the main thing with the fabric is that it should have a bit of body so the skirt keeps it's shape.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress! It looks really great with the tights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really do like these tights!

      Delete
  4. I bet you wear it loads over the Christmas season, it's such a festive colour! Great tights again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's turned out to be a great winter dress, because the two layers make it nice and warm.

      Delete
  5. I really like this dress, too bad about the fabric issues. I think the pleats really came out nice in the fabric though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pleased with how the pleats turned out, and they sit really well too.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.