Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Deer and Doe Belladone

I've been procrastinating mightily over Belladone for a good two months; maybe three.  For some reason the thoughts of fitting the back was giving me the shivers, and I was getting cross with myself because I love this pattern; there are so many gorgeous versions of it on the blogs.  So I gave myself a good talking to, and just got on with it.  And you know what?  The back fitted out of the envelope.  Seriously!
 
 
Now, if I'm really picky I would say the triangle bits at the back of shoulders are gaping slightly, but it will be easy to fix for the next one.  There's a tutorial on how to do this here.  My other mods were a FBA of 2cm, and I shortened the bust and waist darts by 1 inch.

It's pulling because I was standing awkwardly to get a good photo of the back.
 
My fabric is Interweave Chambray from The Village Haberdashery, the colour is called Lagoon.  It was £12 per metre, and I bought 2.5 metres.  It's lovely fabric, and was easy to work with.  When you look at the fabric really closely you can see that it's two different colours woven across each other.  The selvedge edge is the green.
 
 
If you're using this fabric, I can recommend Gutermann 100% polyester thread Col 763 as a good match for the colour.
 
 
I had two issues with this: the first one was the bias tape.  I made the version that uses bias tape as an invisible facing,  The instructions on the pattern are a bit scant for the invisible bias tape version; I have them in front of me, and it doesn't say what seam allowance to use when sewing on the bias tape.  So I sewed my tape with a 5/8 inch seam allowance, trimmed it, and folded it over.   My tape was too wide at the centre back neck, and I had to fold it over twice so it wouldn't be seen.  With hindsight, I suppose I should have had the edge of the bias tape level with the edge of the fabric, and then sewn along the bias tape fold.  Anyway, it's not a big problem, and I can live with it.  By the way, if anybody did notice the seam allowance in the instructions, please let me know!
 
 
The second issue was entirely my own fault.  I'm going to get my excuses in before I tell you what it was!  There's been quite a bit of decorating going on in my house recently (which is now thankfully finished, and is lovely!), which is why I'm only getting around to blogging this now, when it was finished about two weeks ago.
 
 
 
I was making the pleats on the front of the skirt, and I couldn't make sense of the instructions at all - so I winged it.  And you know how it goes with winging it - you win some, you lose some.  It wasn't until I had attached the bodice to the skirt that I noticed my pleats didn't look right.  Turns out I'd folded them to the inside, and not the outside.  I thought I could live with it, but then decided I couldn't, so I unpicked them.  I had another look at the instructions, which made perfect sense then, but then I sewed them wrong again!  I folded them to outside, and not the middle!  I got it right on the third go, but I am definitely blaming the paint fumes on that!
 
 
I didn't add the hem facing, and instead used this lovely Cath Kidston ribbon that my sister bought me.


 
I've worn this dress twice now, and I do like it.  Today was it's second outing, and I wore it with my new obsession which is patterned tights.  These are Pamela Mann Small Dogtooth tights.  Apparently I have lost the ability to buckle my shoes properly and also straighten the seam in my tights.  I was in a rush to take my photos and get out of the house.  "More haste, less speed", as my Mum says!


All my Christmas crafting is finished - hurray!  So it's selfish sewing all the way to Christmas now.

Lynne

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

28 comments:

  1. I love this pattern so much! Your version is beautiful, I hope you enjoy wearing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The fabric is gorgeous, and those tights are AWESOME! The pocket lining and the CK ribbon are really cute touches, too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm loving my tights too!

      Delete
  3. I love your version of Belladone. I've had this pattern in my stash for a couple of months and seeing yours makes me want to make it. Pity it's so cold outside :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was in my car shortly after I took these photos, and the temperature display said 3 degrees! I definitely won't be wearing this without a cardigan, which is a shame, because the back is so lovely.

      Delete
  4. Oooo this is so lovely Lynne!!! That fabic is amazing too, and a great colour for you. And on my goodness, how much do I love that you used that CC ribbon for your hem - too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the ribbon, I just thought it went really well with the fabric. My sister bought in the Cath Kidston shop in Belfast, but I think it was a while ago.

      Delete
  5. Awww that is adorable, Lynne! I love the colour on you. Did you lengthen the skirt at all? I leep thinking I must make another one of these dresses - at least to justify the cost of the pattern! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't lengthen the skirt, I just used the length for size 40. One of the joys and delights of being small!

      Delete
  6. It's so lovely! And great to see bright colours in this murky weather. Love the little ribbon you used to face the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I love it on you! This is my favorite dress pattern by far (I just love the design), but the instructions do force you to wing it a bit with the bias tape. I couldn't find what they wanted you to do with it, so I just lined up the edges and stitched at 5/8". Not sure if that's what you're meant to do! Either way, yours really looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with the instructions!

      Delete
  8. Your dress is be-autiful and Oh my giddy aunt those tights!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I know, aren't these tights brilliant?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I NEED some! Might need to text the link for this post to hubby lol.

      Delete
    2. Lol!! You should have a look at the website, all their tights are gorgeous!

      Delete
    3. I'm kind of scared too lol!

      Delete
  10. I love your Belladone! Your gorgeous fabric really lets the pattern shine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really tempted by this pattern! It looks great on you and I love the little touch of the Cath Kidston ribbon around the hem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great pattern, and I think it would be lovely on you.

      Delete
  12. I love the close up shot of the woven fabric, the colours are just gorgeous. I like the little hidden extras too like the ribbon and pocket lining. They make it all the more special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very pleased with the ribbon, it goes so well with the fabric.

      Delete
  13. This is such a lovely dress! I love the back details! The lining of the pocket and the floral trim are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pocket lining was cotton I had for about 10 years! I'm not sure why I bought it, because I'm not fond of pink, but I think it looks lovely in the pockets.

      Delete
  14. Eeek, just look at that pocket, super gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.