Monday, 11 November 2013

Flounce-a-lotte skirt

This skirt has been in the planning since May.  The reason it took so long was because I didn't have any fabric for it.  The pattern is By Hand London Charlotte skirt, but as you can see, I've added my own flare to it - see what I did there!
 
 
I've had this in mind since I saw this gorgeous skirt on Lauren's blog.  Shortly after I saw this, I made my first Charlotte skirt, which is lovely, but not the easiest thing to walk in.  I loved the flounce because I think it makes it more wearable, and it looks fab. 
 
 
The create the flounce, I followed the instructions in Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing.  They are on pages 92 - 93 and 132, if you have the book.  The flounces in the book are different shapes, but the principle is the same.  It really was easy; decide where the flounce is going, cut that piece of the pattern off, slash and spread, and add the seam allowances.  I was going to do a how-to, but this post from Madalynne explains the basic idea.   


 
My fabric is the left-overs from my Elizalex dress.  Gosh, I love this dress!  I wear it all the time.  It's 55% linen and 45% cotton from Backstitch, and it was £10.50 a metre.  It looks quite pink in these photos, but it's more purple in real life. 


It's a bit drapey though, so I underlined it, as I knew the flounce would need a bit of body.  The underlining fabric is pink satin polyester from The Paragon on Donegall Pass in Belfast.  It's lovely and thick, and was less that £5 a metre.


I changed the waistband slightly.  The original Charlotte waistband is cut in one piece, and folded in two lengthwise.  I didn't think this fabric would be sturdy enough for that, even with interfacing.  So I cut two waistbands, and seamed them at the top for more structure.  Also, I didn't make the darts on the lining, I just pleated the lining fabric in instead. 


The bottom of the inside of the waistband is supposed to be hand-stitched down, but my thread was a really good match for my main fabric, so I sewed it as close the outside edge of the waistband as possible.  I thought that if I wasn't happy with it, I would unpick it and hand sew it; but as I can bearly see the stitching in the photo below, it's staying!

 
I love how this turned out!  It was a pretty quick make (apart from all the hand stitching for the underlining), and now I think I need another one in green.

 

Lynne
 

26 comments:

  1. LOVE the flounce! Looks fab on you, and I love it with the shoes and tights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!! I love the flounce detail-- great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love that it's both functional AND stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEA-U-TI-FUL!!!! So much to love about this skirt - the colour, the fit, and of course, the stunning flounce! I am totally in love with this! And thanks for showing the inner workings, I wouldn't have been able to figure out how to line this at all!

    Oh - and your tights are fab too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The underlining was easy enough, just time consuming. My tights were cheapy ones from ebay. They have diamonds, hearts, clubs and spades on them, but they've faded a bit.

      Delete
  5. Looks fab and I love the colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely!! Your clothes always look so well-made, and the flounce really makes this one special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on Gertie's pencil skirt right now. I love the added flounce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your skirt!

      Delete
  8. I love that little flirty flounce. Great spotty tights too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous!!!! That purple really pops, the flounce is an awesome touch and your tights rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your skirt just looks perfect! From the flounce to the zipper and the stitching! Does the pattern come with the lining or did you add that yourself? I am always scared to figure out the lining myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pattern doesn't come with a separate lining, I just cut my lining using the skirt pattern. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. I've just read your whole blog (I do that when I find one I like lol) and have picked up loads of new tips, so thank you! Like you I knit too although I'm not yet as experienced as you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for your lovely comments! It's always nice to have a new reader. I am glad my ramblings have been some help, and good luck with your knitting!

      Delete
  12. Love that flounce! And the skirt looks super cute with those tights and shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That flounce looks so good! I should check that again in Gertie's book, but for when the weather warms up a bit again :/

    BTW, I'm hosting a give away for my birthday. The prize is a pattern of your choice from Ravelry. You just have to leave a comment on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to have a look at your blog right now!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.