Thursday, 10 October 2013

By Hand London Anna Dress

This is my first Anna dress, and definitely won't be my last!  Gosh, this was easy to make. 
 
 
I had originally planned to make the maxi length version in purple (which will be my next make), but then I read this post from Winnie.  Her mention of black linen reminded me of some black linen I had bought a couple of years ago from Minerva Crafts, so I thought I'd test the pattern out on it.
 
 
 
I'd been holding out for the sewalong for the fba, but the way it's done on the sewalong ends up with a bust dart.  I didn't want a bust dart, so I used this tutorial from Lazy Stitching instead.  It was really easy, and I can see how I could use it on other patterns too.  The photo below shows the finished bodice and gorgeous pleats.
 
 
 

The only fitting problem I had was the shoulders.  The shoulder seams are too far back from the top of the shoulders.  You can see in the photo below that the green arrows are pointing to the seam line (I know it's pretty hard to see!), and the white lines are roughly were the top of my shoulder is.  The same thing happened on my Elisalex dress (I don't think I mentioned it in my post though).  I used my lining as a toile on Elisalex, so was able to fix it before I cut out the main fabric, but I totally missed it on this!  But it will be easy to fix on the next one.  Also, I am going to bring the inside edges of the shoulders in a bit, as my shoulders are narrow. 


This photo shows the shoulder seam a bit better.  This is the back of the dress, and the pin is where the top of my shoulder is.  Also, you can just about see on the left that I used some black bias tape instead of facing.  I also used Sonja from Ginger Makes great tutorial on adjusting the gaping back.  I adjusted mine by 1/2 inch on each side.


The only thing about this dress is that I don't know if I'll wear it that much simply because it's black.  I used to wear black a lot, but not so much these days.  A black dress is a very handy thing to have though, so I added some saddle stitch ribbon just above the hem to try and make it a bit less none more black, and I'm pleased with how the ribbon turned out.



 
I finished this over a week ago, but I still haven't started anything new because I've been busy with some Christmas crafting.  Yeah, I know.  Sorry to mention the Christmas word.  I'm going to start Anna number two tomorrow.
 
Lynne

19 comments:

  1. Ooh, you've piqued my interest in a black ( and/ or midi length) Anna dress all of I again with this beauty. It's gorgeous and I love the ribbon trim, it lifts the black so tastefully !! As for wearing a black dress, I know what you mean, I used to wear so much black and don't now....but it suits you, try accessorising with bright colours ( Id try turquoise or lime green) and it'll make it a different experience?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooo to lime green - a colour I love. That's a great idea!

      Delete
  2. That is a beautyfull dress! I really like what you did whit the bust! Not only is it very practical, I am shure (I have a rather small bust....) but I like the folding alot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now that I think about it, I don't think there was a SBA on the sewalong. But I can see how this adjustment would work in reverse for a small bust.

      Delete
  3. I love it! The pleats are lovely, too! As for the black: well, why not use a red or white belt, matching red/white necklace and maybe even shoes and handbag? I would! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a red belt, red shoes and a red bag. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  4. Aww this is so pretty! I know what you mean about black dresses, but I think this will be super cosy when the weather gets colder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it might look nice with a bright cardigan and boots for the winter.

      Delete
  5. It looks just lovely in black - so classic.
    I wear lots of black to work but love it with a bright necklace or scarf to make the colour pop! Sometimes black is a great backdrop for some accessories. I think this would look lovely with a thin red belt and shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All these great ideas have made me think of buying lots of different coloured tights.

      Delete
  6. This is so lovely! I never gravitate towards black as I'm terribly pale and wore it to death in my youth, but this really makes me want to try my hand at a little black dress! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We must have had the same youth - I even went through a faze of only wearing black!

      Delete
  7. Lovely dress. I think you'll end up wearing it loads as it is pretty, practical and you can accessorize it with any colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I remembered about a pair of dark red tights my sister bought me, so I'm going to try it with those.

      Delete
  8. Another agree on how versatile this dress is going to be. You can dress it up with bright accessories too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to go through my necklace box to see if I can find some bright.

      Delete
  9. This dress was made for you!! It looks beautiful. I am not a fan of black either, having once been a musician, but I do like simple black dresses, especially in warmer, less formal fabrics like this. The key for me is to not wear black shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a good idea about the shoes!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! This style really suits you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.