Saturday, 26 October 2013

Anna and the Featherweight


My second By Hand London Anna is finished.  This time I went with the maxi length version.  I love a  maxi dress (and skirt); being small, it makes me feel taller.  Don't know what that's about! 
 
My fabric is a 55% linen / 45% cotton mix from Backstitch, the colour is called Loganberry.  It's the same fabric I used for my Elizalex dress, just a different colour.  I bought 3 metres, and had less than a metre left, but I did cut 11 inches off the length of the pattern. I fixed the issue I had with the shoulder seams on my first Anna
 
 


and I also lined it.  The lining fabric is some purple satiny stuff that came from my Granny.  I made the skirt lining knee-length, but didn't have enough fabric, so I ended up cutting the two skirt centre back pieces in the opposite direction.  My lining technique was "interesting"!  I did the neck-line as a normal lining, but then treated the rest of the bodice as underlining.   On the skirt I sewed the three front pieces together, then treated them as underlining, and the same with the two back pieces on each side. 
 

It was a bit of a faff, but I wanted to be able to adjust the side seams if necessary, because I ended up taking the side seams in a bit on my first one.  It was worth it because it made fitting the side seams really easy.
 
 
 
I did do one stupid thing though.  I was trimming the extra side seam allowance on my overlocker, and cut a hole in the skirt lining!  I may have said something like "oh, knickers" when it happened.  So I sewed around the hole to stop it fraying, then sewed a patch over it so the tear won't catch on anything.  It could have been a lot worse - it could have been the main fabric!  Lesson learnt - pay attention when overlocking with the blade up!
 
 
I also set myself a little challenge on this make.  I sewed the main fabric together on my Granny's Singer Featherweight machine.  I sewed the lining on my machine because I could only find one bobbin that fitted the Featherweight, and I wasn't going to start unwinding a bobbin every time I wanted to use a different colour of thread.  I also used my machine for putting in the zip.  I was going to talk about it in this post, but I have a lot to say, so I'll put it in a separate post here, but I'll leave you with a picture of it in all it's gorgeous-ness!



20 comments:

  1. I love it! This is such a great dress for you, and the color is wonderful. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wore it yesterday afternoon, and it got soaked! I was out with my sister and some friends, not one of us had the sense to bring an umbrella, and the heavens opened! But my dress has dried out now, and it's fine.

      Delete
  2. another beautiful anna love the colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thinking of making a knee length one in green, but I don't have the fabric, so it's way down the sewing list.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! This looks so beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still think your 70s maxi Anna is the best one I've seen.

      Delete
  4. Super colour on you, you really do have a knack of picking very flattering colours and prints. Thank goodness the hole was in your lining fabric, I'd have said more than 'oh knickers' too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're very kind, I always think I'm a bit rubbish with colours. I just buy purple because I love it!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely fit. The colour is a beautiful shade of purple. You are so talented.

    I remember my gran having an old singer. I think it belonged to her mum but it was a treadle version. No electric in those days ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was interesting to see that the motor is attached to the back of my Featherweight, but in modern machines the motor is inside. Well, it was interesting to me, but I'm a bit sad like that!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely dress! And the color looks amazing on you. I haven't made the Anna yet, but seeing all these lovely versions creeping up on the internet, I might give it a try. Well done on sewing with such an old machine! I haven't read your post about the Featherweight yet but will hop over soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is such an easy dress to make. My top tip would be to make sure to mark all the notches on the skirt pieces, as they can get mixed up pretty quickly.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful! I love this colour on you. My next make is going to be another maxi Anna, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yey to your next make! Good luck with it, and I shall look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful - as everyone else says, the colour is gorgeous on you. And crappo about the lining tear - at least it wasn't a tear in the fashion fabric though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the tear could have been a lot worse!

      Delete
  9. Wow! This is beautiful! I love the colour. All you need to go with it is a lacy shawl! Get knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just finshed knitting some socks, but I don't love the colours; and I have a cardigan in the planning stage.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.