Saturday, 28 September 2013

No stress, this dress: Elisalex

After the sewing marathon that was my Pastille dress, I needed something that was a lot more simple.  I had planned to make Deer and Doe's Belladone dress next, but I couldn't face the potential fitting issues with the back just yet, so I went with By Hand London's Elisalex dress instead.  I've had this pattern and fabric for a while, but with the summer weather being good, I knew I wouldn't wear this until the Autumn.  And you know what, it's true what everybody says about this pattern, it really is easy peasy. 
 
 
I did make life a bit easier for myself with fitting the front of the bodice though.  I couldn't be bothered faffing about with a FBA, so I used the bodice from NL6723 (made here, here and here) which I had previously fitted, and sort of merged the two bodices in a very un-scientific, hap-hazard way.  Some may call that cheating: I prefer to see it as utilising available resources.
 
Unfortunately I failed to realise that the Elisalex shoulders were wider, so mine is a little bit too wide on the shoulders.  Also the curve on the back neckline needs pinched out a bit, you can see where it's curving out in the photo below.  I'll fix the pattern before the next one (because there will be more!), but I can live with it on this.

 
I used 1.5 metres of this fabric which is 55% linen and 45% cotton from Backstitch, and it was £10.50 a metre.  It's lovely fabric, and is about the same thickness and drape as 100% linen.  It's a bit more drapey than I thought it would be, so the skirt doesn't sit out as much at the sides, but  I think the pleats look lovely. 
 
 

I lined the bodice with some white cotton lawn, and put some polka dot ribbon around the hem just because.


I'm loving my work on the invisible zip!
 

There weren't too many mods to this, which made Mr BB declare, "no stress, this dress!"  There was  just the aforementioned pattern mash on the bodice, and I also shortened it by 8 inches.  Then I decided it was too long, and chopped another 2.5 inches off it. 

 
 
This really is the most flattering shape, and seems to suit so many different figures.  The instructions are so easy to follow, and there is also a sewalong on the By Hand London blog here.  I'm about half way through my first Anna dress, and it's been a breeze too! 

30 comments:

  1. That hidden zip is incredible! I love your polka dot ribbon and your funky spotty tights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty pleased with the zip too, and my tights are cheapy ones from ebay.

      Delete
  2. Really pretty dress, the colour and fabric really show off those pleats. It looks absolutely fabulous on you! I wasn't sure about the Elisalex (although I've made 2 Annas which I love) but I'm definitely adding it to my list after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is such a great pattern. I'm nearly finished my first Anna, but I think I prefer Elisalex.

      Delete
  3. Just gorgeous, Lynne!! The pleats, the zipper, the stunning color. Everything! This will totally inspire me to get in gear and make one. I've been wanting to since the spring and never finished. Thanks so much for this no-stress dress.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with finishing yours.

      Delete
  4. This is so ridiculously gorgeous, Lynne! I love love LOVE that colour on you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about purple, it's my favourite colour.

      Delete
  5. Just like everyobne else, I adore the colour! Very autumnal :)
    I've never tried the Elisalex because I'm not sure the tulip skirt would do my backside any favours! I'm also putting off the Belladone dress for exactly the same reason as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the tulip skirt either. I'm really small, and thought it might swamp me, but it turned out I was wrong!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I've yet to try any By Hand London patterns, just haven't got round to it - but this is a beauty. And that invisible zip...perfect! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also have the Charlotte skirt and Anna dress patterns, but this one is my favourite.

      Delete
  7. Oh, it's just lovely! That colour is simply beautiful on you :) I've just bought this pattern, and now I'm even more impatient for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you've got your pattern by now!

      Delete
  8. Lynne it's adorable, what a perfect colour too. I have an Elisalex to cut out too....yours is yet another inspirational version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My Anna was inspired by you! I'm hoping to get it finished this week.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful colour on you! I love your tights too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My tights have the symbols from playing cards on them. I've only worn/washed them a couple of times, and I think the print is fading. :( But they only cost about £2 on ebay.

      Delete
  10. I'll second Fiona on the colour and your tights - love them both! And that invisible zip is perfect! That tulip skirt is such a flattering shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the colour too, and I have enough fabric left over for a skirt.

      Delete
  11. The dress looks amazing on you! And I am jealous about how invisible your zipper is, I really wish mine would look like that. Just perfect. And as everybody else I just have to say: perfect color choice! I usually stay away from plain fabrics, but sewing your dress and color combo I probably shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think this is the first dress that I've made in a plain fabric, but it won't be the last!

      Delete
  12. Lynne - your dress is so lovely! I have to admit that the Elisalex dress never really appealed to me because of the tulip skirt which can be hard to pull off - but it looks gorgeous on you! And magenta is my new current colour obsession since the season change, so this dress is even more perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sold on the skirt when the pattern first came out, but once I saw a few versions of it, I changed my mind.

      Delete
  13. LOVE your elisalex dress. So happy you made the tulip skirt as well, folks seem to keep shying away from it, but I find it really stylish. Great vibrant colour too. I am working on the Deer and Doe Belladone next as well, so we are going to have to compare note! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Stylish is just the right word for the tulip skirt! Good luck with your Belladone, I'll look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  14. I'm so tempted by this pattern - I'm trying very hard not to cave in and buy more patterns but it is very stylish. The colour of your fabric is very flattering. Top marks on tour super invisible zip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I say buy it, you won't regret it! ;)

      Delete
  15. New reader so I'm having to comment on absolutely everything. I love this dress (and the other versions you've made of it), the colour is amazing and I have tights-envy. I have the Elisalex pattern sitting at home and I haven't been brave enough to try it yet, but I might now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for your lovely comments! I loved those tights too, but they really faded in the wash. I got different playing cards from the Pamela Mann website - just sayin... ;)

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.