Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Frankendress

Here's my first go at a Frankenpattern - the bodice is good old Simplicity 2444, and the skirt is Serendipity Studios Sabrina Tunic.
 
 
This is what happened...  The Sabrina Tunic was one of the first patterns I bought and I had been planning to make it for a while, but it kept getting bumped down the queue - you know how it goes! So anyway, I traced the pattern, and realised the bodice was really short.  Now, being pretty short myself, short bodices are not a problem I've encountered before; so I googled it, and found the pattern link on the Serendipity Studios web site.  In the description it says it's empire waist, which would explain the bodice length, and empire line is not a good look on me. 
 
It was difficult to tell from the photo on the pattern envelope that it was an empire line (it's the photo on the right on the pattern link page), it's even a bit hard to see on the model in the photo on the left because the lower sash seems to pull the waist in a bit.  I'm generally not a big fan of a sash, although I do think it looks lovely on this, but it wasn't the look I had in mind.
 
I briefly thought about lengthening the bodice, but I just couldn't be bothered!  Then I thought, "I know!  I'll use the bodice from Simplicity 2444, and the skirt from Sabrina".  And the reason this is most definitely a Frankenpattern is because I had that idea when I was watching a thunder storm from the box room window!
 
 
The bodice came together easily as I've made it twice before (here and here).  Sadly the lovely darts got a bit lost in the print on the fabric.


The skirt on the Sabrina Tunic is supposed to be gathered, but I thought it would look nicer with darts that corresponded with the darts on the bodice.  This was were having my dress form was invaluable.  I put the bodice on the dress form, and just mucked about with the skirt pattern pieces until I was happy that the darts matched up with the darts on the bodice.  It did take a bit of time though.
 
I winged it with the length of the darts, and ended up having to length the front outside darts and the back darts.


 
I'm very pleased with how the top of the invisible zip turned out, I usually make a bit of a mess of that bit!  Sadly the rest of the zip isn't as invisible as it should be!
 

The fabric is cotton poplin from Minerva Crafts, they don't seem to have it anymore though.  I made a skirt with this earlier in the year, and had 1m 10cm of it left.  It was 60 inches wide, which was how I managed to squeeze this dress out of it.
 
This style of dress is new to me, as I have so far made dresses with big skirts.  I wasn't sure if I would be happy with this more fitted skirt, but I really like it. 



21 comments:

  1. It's lovely, the style really suits you. How clever to have created yourself a totally unique style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I intend to make more dresses in this style now.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering which indie pattern company Frankendress is, hihi. Got it :) You look amazing in the dress and did a great job in combining these two patterns. And don't worry about your zip, you hardly notice because it has the same color as your print. And the zipper top turned out perfect! NB, I thought you always have to put a hook and eye at the top for closure (sorry, I am still a sewing novice)? I am getting excited by the idea that I don't have too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion! Frankendress would be a great name for a pattern company though! Thank you for your lovely comments. I have used a hook and eye at the top of zips before, but only because the top of the zip was a mess! Here's a great tutorial on inserting invisible zips which includes a bit on dealing with the top of the zipper tape. http://sewitanyway.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/invisible-zip-tutorial/comment-page-1/#comment-429

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tutorial link!

      Delete
  3. Love that! Works really well and looks great on you - the matching darts on the bodice and skirt are brill. You definitely need to do another version in a plainer fabric so they stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you could see the darts, I didn't think they showed up too well in the photos.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dress, well done you! I love the front darts on the bodice. It's a really lovely style on you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dress, it has a great early 60's shape to it. Well done for your pattern hack, it really worked out! Love the look of those front darts, really dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! This is a really beautiful dress Lynne, and such a good shape for you too!
    I see you got your fabric from Minerva - I haven't ordered from them before but was looking at them the other day and was wondering if they charge the same postage for NI as the rest of the UK? Isn't it so frustrating and ridiculous when companies charge extra for delivery to NI....even when they use Royal Mail?!! Makes me so mad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely dress Lynne and you look fabulous in it. I love the print design. It's perfect for any occasion.Well done on yet another fabulous outfit :)

    I shall have to have a gander at Minerva. I'm looking to start a little fabric stash and I see a lot of bloggers mentioning them. I can only assume good things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress! I love that you 'winged' it and designed it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good ol' S2444 bodice - it really is a gem isn't it? I love how you've paired it with the narrower skirt - it's knockout in this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about S2444. ;)

      Delete
  10. This is a fab pattern mashup! Really suits you. I can see the darts :)
    And a great top of zip- hurray for cracking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks again for the zip tutorial, it was a big help.

      Delete
  11. I think it looks great :) And don't worry - sometimes zippers can be a bitch! I'll be teaching a friend how to insert one Thursday - this will be her first zipper. I told her to make sure she has a couple hours LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with the zip teaching, I tried to teach my sister to crochet once, and had to take some headache tablets when she left my house!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.