Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Button-back Alma

 

 
Yep, another Alma!  I got this fabric a few weeks ago planning to make a top with it, but without a pattern in mind, and an Alma with buttons at the back suggested itself to me. 
 
 
The fabric is Liberty Classic Tana Lawn, the pattern is called Mauverina Lilac.  I got it from Shauket and Company, and it was £13 per metre.  Although, with the postage, it worked out at just over £17 per metre; which I admit isn't exactly cheap, but it is lovely.  I ordered 1.75 metres, but got about 10cms more than that.


I used bias tape for the facing, and around the arms.
 
I'm really pleased with how the back button placket turned out.  I was going to do a how-to about it in this post, but I think I'll put it in a separate post instead because there are lots of photos and scribbled notes to wade through.  This is more for a reference for myself, but if it's handy for somebody else, that's great!  (ETA - How-To is done, and here is a link).
 
I made the collar in two halves to add a curve to the back.


I'm proud of how I managed to match the print on the collar with the print on the front, I could have done the same for the back, but somehow I didn't think of that until just now!


When I made my second Alma, I had to re-draft the collar because I had to lower the neckline.  I made a one piece collar using the instructions on pages 104-107 of Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing, but I realised that the print wouldn't line up on the front and back of this collar, so I made each side with two pieces.
 
 

My buttons are from The Spinning Wheel in Belfast.  They were 50p each, and having become accustomed to the more modest prices in Sew N Sew (about 15p a button), it was a bit of a shock!  But they go really well with the fabric, and they are lovely.


I had intended to make the short-sleeve version of Alma instead of the capped sleeves, but I had so much trouble trying to fit it.  I've also made a start on my Colette Patterns Hawthorn dress, but have stalled on the sleeves there too because my toile was too tight at the underarms.  After a bit of googling, and reading Fit For Real People, I think my problem is that the seam at the top of the shoulder is too far in towards my neck (the bit where the top of the sleeve attaches to the shoulder of the bodice), and I think I may need to raise the bottom of the armscye  a bit.  If anybody has any tips on this, they would be much appreciated.
 

 
Lynne

20 comments:

  1. Very cute! And you did a great job with matching the pattern of the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with how the fabric matching turned out.

      Delete
  2. Lovely fabric. And beautifully matched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed with print matching! The collar is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the shape of the collar at the back.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous Lynne! It looks so classy with that lovely Liberty fabric and the matched collar is perfection! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Liberty fabric is fab!

      Delete
  5. The fabric was sooo worth it and the buttons are lovely thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was ironing it yesterday and thought the buttons were lovely. I'm glad I bought them.

      Delete
  6. I love the Liberty lawn fabrics, they feel so nice on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a big fan of Liberty fabric now!

      Delete
  7. Really cute! I love the button placket-- nice idea! I used this same print in the same colorway to make a scarf for my mom. It's so soft and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why stop when they keep turning out so well? That fabric is divine and I love the back button detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's just so great to have a top that actually fits!

      Delete
  9. I was going through your favorite makes, and I really love this Alma blouse! I bought this pattern because I realized that I need to make more separates and not just dresses. Seeing all of your lovely variations just makes me want to take out the pattern and make it! I love your fabric, may be one day I'll be able to sew with Liberty Lawn, one day. I love that you pattern matched, something I hope to do one day. Lastly, the button back! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still very pleased with my pattern matching on this top, and the Liberty fabric is just as fantastic as everybody says it is!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.